Hey Electric Guitar forum. I'm a regular in GG&A and I have finally found a rig that I'll have for quite some time (once I get that boutique OD I ordered made) and I would like to get a new guitar.

I have $1000 to spend at this moment, and I'm not quite sure what to do. (my reasoning for consulting these forums)

I currently have an MIM Fender Strat, and I am thinking I would like to upgrade to something I will have for a much longer time.

I play lots of classic rock, blues and lots of clean stuff just like john mayer and red hot chili peppers. I love Led zeppelin, and ac/dc as well. and clapton's killer as well.
I also occasionally venture into playing some satriani, and heavier styles.

I am willing to sell my stratocaster, but am not sure if I'd rather just keep it, and get a les pauls style guitar(epiphone elitist anyone?)or sell it and buy another strat (MIA)

Open to suggestions, and if there's anything you would like to know about my playing and what I enjoy and such, just let me know and I'll be happy to answer.

Thanks very much! (I'm 16 by the way, and have a job so more money could possibly be arranged. I could also get my parents to pay for a bit for christmas or something)
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
uhmm any les pauls are good. im not really a big fan of strats. But les pauls are really nice!
thats a hard decision. you could get a fat strat.
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

Quote by EGI_6661
uhmm any les pauls are good. im not really a big fan of strats. But les pauls are really nice!

any suggestions to which models for $1000 and under? maybe like 1200 max?
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by marvelboy_04
thats a hard decision. you could get a fat strat.

that's what i have now, but it's an MIM, would it be worth upgrading to an MIA strat? or would i be better off just upgrading pickups and maybe the neck? and if so which neck should i get?
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
rondomusic.com

get your self the higher end les pauls there and buy yourself some high end cables and some other cool effects with the extra cash youll have left over
Quote by cromthereaper
rondomusic.com

get your self the higher end les pauls there and buy yourself some high end cables and some other cool effects with the extra cash youll have left over

lol i have high end cables and all the effects i need thanks which les pauls models do you suggest
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
well, if you already have a MIM fat strat, you may just wanna get some really nice pickups.
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

Quote by marvelboy_04
well, if you already have a MIM fat strat, you may just wanna get some really nice pickups.

how much better is an mia? ive never played one
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by danyellenik
that's what i have now, but it's an MIM, would it be worth upgrading to an MIA strat? or would i be better off just upgrading pickups and maybe the neck? and if so which neck should i get?

lol Ahh the wonderful age of 16 where ya get confused about life and everything else...

You got a killer strat... And you should just think of giving it some love. :P Not to sound gay by any means necassary.

Look at some pickups, figure out what you think is good and put 'em in. I tell ya man... You wont regret it.

And if you want a new neck... Check out warmoth.com (Even though it kinda gets confusing when you don't know the right specs of your hand) But you can get a great neck for a good feel.

I know 1200 dollars seems like HUGE budget... Its kinda hard to get a true gibson that makes ears sing with the angels. So my suggestion... Just take your time, figure out what your ears want. And what you want.

But I'll just shut my big yap!
From a guy named Mike
Originally posted by justinhawkins

id knock boots with paris any day, but i bet robert plant has a better-sounding orgasm
Whatever you choose: use craigslist, it's well worth the hassle of arranging/meeting up with people, you'll get a killer deal.
Quote by .N30C0N.
lol Ahh the wonderful age of 16 where ya get confused about life and everything else...

You got a killer strat... And you should just think of giving it some love. :P Not to sound gay by any means necassary.

Look at some pickups, figure out what you think is good and put 'em in. I tell ya man... You wont regret it.

And if you want a new neck... Check out warmoth.com (Even though it kinda gets confusing when you don't know the right specs of your hand) But you can get a great neck for a good feel.

I know 1200 dollars seems like HUGE budget... Its kinda hard to get a true gibson that makes ears sing with the angels. So my suggestion... Just take your time, figure out what your ears want. And what you want.

+1

If you have a MIM Strat, just mod it. Get some new pickups, new tremolo, new neck, etc. By the time you hit your budget, you'll have an amazing guitar, and it will be made specifically to meet your needs.
My guitar modification blog.
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....
Quote by .N30C0N.

that's a great post, thanks for the advice.

I'm already set on what pickups i want, and I guess I'll go that route. Thanks guys!
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Keep the strat and get something else. I believe the Elitists have been discontinued but i could be wrong.

you could always haggle on craigslist...i know there are alot of Gibson LP studios being sold but not sure if that is your cup of tea. Try to find one with some upgrades for around $800 then use the rest of the cash you have on upgrading your strat. I always keep two guitars on hand since I go from playing the blues to metal.
Quote by metaxis
Keep the strat and get something else. I believe the Elitists have been discontinued but i could be wrong.

you could always haggle on craigslist...i know there are alot of Gibson LP studios being sold but not sure if that is your cup of tea. Try to find one with some upgrades for around $800 then use the rest of the cash you have on upgrading your strat. I always keep two guitars on hand since I go from playing the blues to metal.

I tried the les paul studios and they seem way to sludgy... Great sounding guitar as all gibsons. But that neck makes me wanna pull out my hair and steal a wig lol
From a guy named Mike
Originally posted by justinhawkins

id knock boots with paris any day, but i bet robert plant has a better-sounding orgasm
Quote by metaxis

Yup. Elitests have been discontinued. Everything else Epiphone rised in prices.
Get a Paul Reed Smith SE Singlecut for around $600
PRS SE Custom 24
Albion TCT 35
Focusrite iTrack Solo
Quote by danyellenik
any suggestions to which models for $1000 and under? maybe like 1200 max?

Epi Elitist

I personally own one and well, its perfect. It has the stock pickups which I love since they are very well balanced for any genre and their clean sounds breath-taking, leaving that natural sound of the amp its connected to. (please say you have a tube and not a MG) It's 1200$ me thinks. It was like 1150$ like 1 week ago but I heard something about Gibson discontinuing some Epi and Gibson models(I know they did with a lot of Gibsons, never checked the Epi site though) and they went up 50 bucks in www.Samash.com

If you are going to change the pickups, check out some of the Seymour humbuckers but please do avoid EMGs. If you want awesome cleans or versatile humbuckers, start by browsing Seymours in general and then go for more specific detailed ones based on your taste.

Edit: 1252$, went up 100$ lol
Last edited by RR787 at Sep 16, 2008,