This thread is about anyone who got into a good band by first listening to a very shitty album or song they made.

I'm not going to lie, I truly got into Metallica after I heard St.Anger. Sure I had listened their hits like Four Horsemen, MOP, Enter Sandman, ect. But for some reason I started looking into Metallica after I heard St. Anger. I didnt even like the song but I just had to look more into them.

Share.
My obligatory gear list

Guitars
Schecter C-1 Classic
Gibson SG Special
1987 Fender Strat
Epiphone PR-150

Amp and Effects
Peavey Valveking 112
Boss DD-6
Crybaby Wah-wah
Ibanez TS-9DX
Banshee 2 Talkbox

Crit plz! Wh ore of Gommorah
Most people's first Sabbath song is generally Paranoid, Tard Pigs, or Iron Fag. Mine was Heaven and Hell. That's right.

I got into Judas Priest listening to Electric Eye, You've Got Another Thing Coming, Green Manalishi, etc. from their greatest hits album. They're all meh songs, but through the years I've heard all of JP's discography lots and lots of times.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
I got into Dream Theater by listening to I Walk Beside You, and Black Sabbath's Heaven and Hell.

/\ Curses, Darkstar has beaten me once again in mentioning Black Sabbath.
Play the man, Master Ridley; we shall this day light such a candle, by God's grace, in England, as I trust shall never be put out.
Last edited by yurfinlfntsy at Sep 15, 2008,
Quote by darkstar2466
Most people's first Sabbath song is generally Paranoid, Tard Pigs, or Iron Fag. Mine was Heaven and Hell. That's right.

wow, just wow..., although Heaven and Hell is amazing, War Pigs is equally as great

Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus-Top, SH-2 and SH-5
Ibanez GRX20
Baron Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 112
Roland Cube 15
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Boss PH-3 Phase Shifter
Boss BF-3 Flanger
Quote by yurfinlfntsy
I got into Dream Theater by listening to I Walk Beside You, and Black Sabbath by Heaven and Hell.

You da mang.

H&H is at the bottom end of Dio-Sabbath songs. Dehumanizer's worst song, Sins of the Father, is 100x better than H&H.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Linkin park, then into my punk bands then into more classic and then metal =p
Quote by Echoplex
Mature pit regulars? Are you retarded?

I am a proud Zune 120 owner
Quote by darkstar2466

You da mang.

H&H is at the bottom end of Dio-Sabbath songs. Dehumanizer's worst song, Sins of the Father, is 100x better than H&H.

I just realized that I made it sound like the song Black Sabbath was written by Heaven and Hell

Oh well, and I agree with you on that point, mate.
Play the man, Master Ridley; we shall this day light such a candle, by God's grace, in England, as I trust shall never be put out.
Quote by Awaken
wow, just wow..., although Heaven and Hell is amazing, War Pigs is equally as great

I actually love war pigs, but it is just nothing compared to the epic masterpiece that is Heaven and Hell.
Quote by dminishedthingy
It didn't seem possible, but apparently Messiah can spam even more now.

Quote by \Powerslave/
I can see it now. "Dark Thrones and Black People".

Quote by \Powerslave/
I pretty much wank something small and sleek.

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
I got into DMX by listening to limp bizkit.

But seriously....I got into WASP after hearing Children of Bodom's cover of "Hellion"
Quote by Radio Addict
Um.....Nirvana's "Lithium" is nothing compared to their later work /demos.

...? I can't tell if thats a joke or not.
Quote by MetalMessiah665
I actually love war pigs, but it is just nothing compared to the epic masterpiece that is Heaven and Hell.

Heaven and Hell, from best to worst:

Lonely Is the Word
Children Of the Sea
Die Young
Neon Knights
Wishing Well (most underrated and SOOOOO good)
Lady Evil
H&H
Walk Away
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by FRDesign
Bat Country by A7X

What? That's like, the opposite of the thread.

Bat Country was a sick song that got me into a shitty band.
Quote by bassmanjoe08
I learned that there are easy ways to waste your life away when all you have is a computer and a world full of people putting new and interesting things on their boners.

Wow, I've been here for a while.
Eighteen4Ever, I love your avatar.

I have to say that listening to Louder Now got me into good Taking Back Sunday. I mean, when Antonio fronted the band.
Quote by LPDave
and my mom then told me to masturbate more.

Quote by Toastbot

Big burly men grunting without shirts on pretty much summed up my childhood.

Quote by The Leader
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do more look like?
Quote by yurfinlfntsy
I got into Dream Theater by listening to I Walk Beside You, and Black Sabbath's Heaven and Hell.

Did you just refer to I Walk Beside You as a shitty song???

Kill yourself. Immediately.

As for me, I got into A7X via Beast and the Harlot back in freshman year,

*Understands the general concensus of the Pit on Avenged Sevenfold, but doesn't care*

EDIT: Oh God, not you, too, Darkstar! Am I the only person who loves all of DT's different sounds?
Last edited by synpet713192 at Sep 15, 2008,
And Yurfin, I Wake Beside You is such a lame song. It makes me want to puke. It's the asspimple of Octavarium.

I like the rest of Octavarium just fine.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Tiny Tims' "Tiptoe Through the Tulips" led me to all of his wonderful works!!!
Quote by synpet713192
Did you just refer to I Walk Beside You as a shitty song???

Kill yourself. Immediately.

As for me, I got into A7X via Beast and the Harlot back in freshman year,

*Understands the general concensus of the Pit on Avenged Sevenfold, but doesn't care*

"I Walk Beside You" is Dream Theater trying to be U2, and failing at it. It's not a BAD song, but it really doesn't compliment many of the other beautiful songs by DT.

Quote by darkstar2466
And Yurfin, I Wake Beside You is such a lame song. It makes me want to puke. It's the asspimple of Octavarium.

I like the rest of Octavarium just fine.

Agreed.

Bat Country was a sick song

Lulz

Risk by Megadeth got me into them, although I actually like it a lot.
Quote by NWP76
I got into DMX by listening to limp bizkit.

But seriously....I got into WASP after hearing Children of Bodom's cover of "Hellion"

Its cool.. at least youre into WASP now. Its sad they go by so unnoticed to most. I think they are millions times better than the others frmo their era that are so popular (motley crue, etc.)

I first heard the Misfits with Michale Graves.. even though I was already a Danzig fan
Quote by darkstar2466

I got into Judas Priest listening to Electric Eye, You've Got Another Thing Coming, Green Manalishi, etc. from their greatest hits album. They're all meh songs, but through the years I've heard all of JP's discography lots and lots of times.

Those are still good songs.
Quote by Mudmen190
If loving ham makes me gay, I'm Rob Halford.

Quote by musiclover2399
MyNameIsLame just nailed it (actually both his statements did some nailing).

Quote by Oroborous
This is honestly the best first post I've ever seen

^^ Directed at me. E-peen wankery sigs ftw.

My Last.FM
Quote by yurfinlfntsy
"I Walk Beside You" is Dream Theater trying to be U2, and failing at it. It's not a BAD song, but it really doesn't compliment many of the other beautiful songs by DT.

I'm offended by that statement. I guess no one's just gonna convince me to see any bad side of a song I love.
I got into metal, because at the time i liked eminem, jay-z, 50 cent stuff, and then i found linkin park jay-z, and for someone who hasn't really heard heavy-ish stuff in a song ever (i was smaller at the time) this led me to evolve into liking slipknot, killswitch engage, airbourne, bullet for my valentine, metallica, in flames, megadeth, children of bodom, dio, static-x, slayer, vader, behemoth, dark tranquility, the black dahlia murder, disturbed, and so on, and so on, basically i went from rap to enjoying all types of metal weather it be classic stuff, or the newest most extreme band, and everything in between.
I started listening to Maiden from a young age, but the very first song I played by them was The Angel The Gambler, since I thought it sounded cool, and I was 9 at the time. I'm not saying it's a bad song but after I heard Number of the Beast I saw these people as gods (not that they aren't).
Gear:
Gibson Flying V
Jackson RR3 w/ Zakk Wylde EMG's
'89 Marshall 8240 Combo Amp
Marshall MG10 CD
Boss MT-2
Dunlop Dime Crybaby From Hell
I don't tend to listen to artists who make shit music, case example: everything Pearl Jam have released has been pure gold, nothing less, same goes with Muse, and to a lesser extent RHCP.

Although the first metallica 'album' I bought was the live "Some Kind of Monster" EP, but that doesn't count because I hate them now
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
Quote by Eighteen4Ever
Bat Country was a sick song that got me into a shitty band.

Cut the faggy A7x hating.

Turn off Seize the Day and go listen to MIA or Sidewinder.

On topic: My World was the first song I heard by Sick Puppies. I thought they were gonna blow when I saw them live. I then listened to their whole CD and realized they were gonna be great.
Quote by archangels666
Cut the faggy A7x hating.

Turn off Seize the Day and go listen to MIA or Sidewinder.

On topic: My World was the first song I heard by Sick Puppies. I thought they were gonna blow when I saw them live. I then listened to their whole CD and realized they were gonna be great.

I agree with seize the day sucking, but the solo in like the last 20 seconds is great enough to redeem the whole song imo/.

I got into Led Zeppelin through stairway. Not necessarily a bad song, just really overplayed/

Between the Buried and me with Alaska (let's face it, that song sucks with the exception of the intro.)

Miss Murder- AFI (got old fast pretty much, but all their other stuff is legit.)
Quote by Okeefe Is Legit
I agree with seize the day sucking, but the solo in like the last 20 seconds is great enough to redeem the whole song imo/.

I got into Led Zeppelin through stairway. Not necessarily a bad song, just really overplayed/

Between the Buried and me with Alaska (let's face it, that song sucks with the exception of the intro.)
Miss Murder- AFI (got old fast pretty much, but all their other stuff is legit.)

wow, really? is that how you want me to remember you?
Quote by Okeefe Is Legit
Miss - AFI (got old fast pretty much, but all their older stuff is legit.)

Fixed.
ok, yeah. my name is silly because I signed up when I was 13.

BEDBUGS
I first listened to Yellowcard , which led me to Jet, which led to Linkin Park, which led to Limp Bizkit, which somehow led to Throwdown, Slipknot, and heavy stuff. But it turns out I have been listening to Ozzy, Metallica, AC/DC, Nirvana, Megadeth, and Iron Maiden with my dad when I was younger, and I never knew about it.
If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough
Got into SP after hearing 'Eye', which is surprising because the song is mostly terrible.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Got into In Flames after hearing Take This Life, which is pretty bad compared to their older work.
Quote by Guitarfreak777
...? I can't tell if thats a joke or not.

Has to be a joke, right? Right? I'd hope so at least. While Lithium definitely isn't the best Nirvana song, it's definitely up there.
Um...I got into the Verve through Bittersweet Symphony, Weezer through Beverly Hills (although I still love that song in several ways) and the Distillers through Young Crazed Peeling.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Beverly Hill sucks major ass. Weezer is so much better than that song.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by darkstar2466
Beverly Hill sucks major ass. Weezer is so much better than that song.

I don't think/hope they made that song as a joke and were not serious at all.

Not that weezer is a very serious band..
I listened to St.Anger when it came out when I was in gr9 and didnt listen to Metallica til gr12 cuz I found out that their older stuff is pretty good.