Not sure what the binding is for. On the standards, is it to bind the maple top to the mahogany back?

Should I be worried about buying a guitar without binding? Is there more of a chance that the top would come off over time?

Thank you.
The binding is just there for looks.
Did you know the odds of a Vault-Tec shelter failing are 1,763,497 to 1?

So imagine life in a Vault-Tec Vault. Not just a future.
A brighter future... underground.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.
Binding is just to give it its look.
The whole meaning of the studio models is to not be as good looking but retain the same sound and playability for a lower price.
No, all I would be worried about is the beat up floor models. I've played LP Customs that are in horrible shape cuz some idiots thought it would be fun to scratch their initials and mess with other stuff
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
There's only two things you have to worry about with Studios:

1) As 'I am wet' said, be wary of models that have a lot of wear on them. Any Gibson that's been on the shelf in a store for more than a week will have had tons of careless kids mistreating it.

2) Most Studios made in the last eight years are bad guitars. And by 'most' I mean '99% of' and by 'bad' I mean 'one of the worst guitars you'll ever play'. I had to try out seventeen before I actually finally found one that was any good - even then I traded that back in once I realised I could spend the same money elsewhere and get something much better.

If you can get a '95-'98 LP Studio in good condition, then you're onto a winner, they're as good as any Standard is now. If you can only get a newer one, it's almost never worth it. You could get an Epiphone Elitist, Tokai, or ESP copy that cost the same as the Gibson Studio but was far superior (and risk-free; the quality control on Elitists, Tokai and ESP is much better than Gibson's quality control). Generally, higher end Tokais and Epi Elitist LPs are considered to be of the same quality as a Gibson Standard, and ESP vary between being a little worse than a Standard or a little better, depending on the specific model (due to ESP putting more variation in hardware and finish, some of their models cost the same but play quite differently, so it comes down to personal preference if one is better or worse than a Gibson equivalent).

The bottom line is really, the cheap Gibsons are cheap for a reason - they're crap.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble

If you can get a '95-'98 LP Studio in good condition, then you're onto a winner, they're as good as any Standard is now.

I'd say it's a good deal better as is it has an unchambered body.
Quote by Martin Scott
Binding is what keeps the pickups in the guitar. That's why pickups fall out of LP Studios a lot.

haha I hope you are not serious
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
I dont think Studios these days are worth it. I think they increased the price awhile ago again, and every one I played did not play very well. And they look like crap.
Quote by steel337
I dont think Studios these days are worth it. I think they increased the price awhile ago again, and every one I played did not play very well. And they look like crap.

You know why the price has gone up? This little thing that's happening called the 'credit crunch', and funnily enough, everything's going up in price!

Funny stuff, eh?

EDIT: But I second the 'looks like crap' bit, they look like the ugly sisters of guitar.

The Traditionals are where it's at, in playability and looks and sound and things!
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by MrFlibble

If you can get a '95-'98 LP Studio in good condition, then you're onto a winner,

+1

I have a '98 and it's one of the best guitars I ahve ever played.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009