Hey guys, I am a complete noob at guitar, (going to get my first guitar this wednesday) and I was wondering: after I learn how to read tabs, what metallica songs are easy enough for me to practice?
None of them. You'll hate yourself if you start off my playing Metallica and can't play anything right, which is what will happen. Start off with "Brown Eyed Girl" kind of stuff.

I know, metal is more fun, but you've got to be more than a beginner to be able to play any Metallica.
Seek And Destroy is awesome. You won't be able to play the solos, but the rest of it is pretty easy. It's also a good introduction to hammer ons and pull offs and also there's some slides in there too. This was one of the first songs I practiced and I was able to jump into more difficult stuff right away.
In my humble opinion, the really good stuff is usually easy, sans a few maestros. Metallica, while not for the rank beginner, is not all that complicated. It is what makes Metallica some of the best music out there for the genre.

It is that catchy riff that is so simple that it makes me say, "why didn't I come up with that??". That is what makes all great music, great, reguardless of genre.

Course, that and $1.50 will get you coffee...

Chris
What songs do you guys recommend? Is there a list of songs that are suitable for beginners?
I don't think I can play that. I have never touched a guitar before and will start learning Wednesday but I really want to be able to play some Metallica.
If you are a rank beginner...I'd worry about other things like chromatics for now. If you haven't even touched a guitar, you would be hard pressed to get most metal music. Get your dexterity down then worry about actual songs. You have a long journey in front of you my friend.

Good luck

Chris
just do some intros from enter sandman, seek and destroy. they arent too tough and might hold you over until you can practice some scales and learn the fretboard.
Where should I start? Should I just learn to read the tabs and play to some really simple songs and work my way up from there?
Quote by blue_strat
Fade to Black
Sad But True

Fade to black is not sad mate. It's only sad when you're an experienced guitarist lol.
BTW the disturbed intro is much better but it doesn't have the bridge.
<|ĐÞŞ|>
Dead Puppy Society
=When the going gets tough, the tough get going=
Practice power chords (Unless you dont know them already) and other tecniques like hammer on, pull offs, slides, bends and stuff. If you really wanna try out some Metallica check out For Whom The Bell Tolls, the intro is really easy.
Fade to black is not sad mate. It's only sad when you're an experienced guitarist lol.
BTW the disturbed intro is much better but it doesn't have the bridge.

Is this sarcasm? You do know that Sad but True is the name of a Metallica song, yeh?
Quote by bangoodcharlote
None of them. You'll hate yourself if you start off my playing Metallica and can't play anything right, which is what will happen. Start off with "Brown Eyed Girl" kind of stuff.

I know, metal is more fun, but you've got to be more than a beginner to be able to play any Metallica.

+1

There's no such thing as a beginner Metallica song, they're the kind of thing you tackle after a few months when you've got comfortable with the instrument and have a certain degree of competence. If you try to learn those kind of songs when you're not ready you'll just get frustrated and de-motivated.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
The solos to all their stuff, on my desk, 5 o'clock friday. If not your fired!
Quote by MASTER JiMMY
Stop failing, and things will work out.
I am a beginner too, about 3 months. At first I pretty much got comfortable with the instrument and got used to fretting the strings and just holding it comfortably. Sounds stupid, but this takes a lot of time and effort to feel comfortable with.

I started playing simple intro riffs, etc from some of my favorite songs to hold me over and am realizing that some are pretty easy. But at this point, now that I am familiar with the fretboard and the feel of the guitar, I decided to learn chromatics, the major scales, pentatonic scales, do chromatic exercises to build dexterity, etc.

As a beginner, I would suggest that you start your practicing off with about 15-30 minutes of just practicing scales, fingerings, etc. and then take the last half of practicing to play whatever you want to. This way you end on a fun note and feel that you are progressing by beginning to play some stuff you know.

It is the best feeling when you can actually play something that sounds remotely similar to what the song is supposed to sound like.
Gear:
Fender Strat
Epi Joe Pass Signature
Epi LP Plus Top
Jackson Dinky
Fender Hot Rod Deville 212
Metallica songs are definetely not "easy". They're only "easy" if you know what you're doing. You should start off with practicing chords, chromatic scales, blues scale, and really easy songs like Brown Eyed Girl or Leaving on a Jet Plane (songs that only use open G, C, D and maybe A chords).

Most of Metallica songs involve some riff that is probably an improvised scale of sorts and also power chords and the occassional fingerpicking of chords (that's how it seems to me anyway, I could be wrong).

I've been playing for 4 months and even I have quite a bit of trouble with doing fast paced power chords (referring to intro of For Whom The Bell Tolls).
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
i'm gonna be honest with you. when i first started playing i thought "great i'll learn metallica/a7x songs" of course i failed and i almost gave up guitar cos i was playing basic blues and chord stuff and i'm not into that stuff.

but my teacher (who has been playing for over 35 years and has toured europe with bands and has been a backing musician and appeard on albums as a session musician.) got me playing those things as it helped me get the basic skills to play the stuff i wanted. and know i look back and think wow that helped loads.and most rock and stuff is basd on blues.

i would reccomend learning chords, power chords and maybe trying smoke on the water riff and that sort of stuff. and now you are probably thinking "i dont want to learn that" but when you have lost your confidence as you cant play metallica you will be glad that you are able to play something that sounds reasonable and uses distortion.
remember kids, you can't spell bass without ass

RIP Jimmy 'The Rev' Sullivan

Quote by _bacon_

Also, I would tap Helena Bonham Carter like a Van Halen solo.
Since my point was not heard by all, I'm going to make it really big.

There are no Metallica songs for beginners!

You don't send someone who's never been skiing before down a black diamond, do you?
Metallica stuff is good to start out with I suppose.
The best ones to look at would probably be:
-For Whom The Bell Tolls
-Seek & Destroy (the rythem, the solo is a pain)
-Fade To Black
-One
-Enter Sandman
-Sad But True

Just remember that you can't just learn Metallica songs. Yeah, they're fun to jam to sometimes, but you wont become a good musician unless you expand the things you learn to play.

--EDIT- For the post above.
Metallica songs are good to learn at first. Really, most of there riffs aren't difficult at all.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Since my point was not heard by all, I'm going to make it really big.

There are no Metallica songs for beginners!

You don't send someone who's never been skiing before down a black diamond, do you?

+1.

realize that if you have never touched a guitar before, this will be almost impossible. No matter what the Metallica song is.

You need to get some basic knowledge first and get a good feel for the guitar in general.

I'm not saying that all you should do are exercises and scales, get some Metallica tabs and fool with them because it will definitely give you a sense of accomplishment if you can get the general melody out.

I will tell you one thing though. Remember what you sound like and feel like when you first start and in a few months you will be surprised and excited about how far you have come if you take the time to ease into.
Gear:
Fender Strat
Epi Joe Pass Signature
Epi LP Plus Top
Jackson Dinky
Fender Hot Rod Deville 212
Quote by Rio38
+1.

realize that if you have never touched a guitar before, this will be almost impossible. No matter what the Metallica song is.

You need to get some basic knowledge first and get a good feel for the guitar in general.

I'm not saying that all you should do are exercises and scales, get some Metallica tabs and fool with them because it will definitely give you a sense of accomplishment if you can get the general melody out.

I will tell you one thing though. Remember what you sound like and feel like when you first start and in a few months you will be surprised and excited about how far you have come if you take the time to ease into.

Listen to these guys ^^, they know what they're talking about.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
Youre not going to be playing any Metallica until you atleast build up some callus. Learn the chords and scales, thats mostly what Kirk's solos are anyway. If youre just f*ckin dying to play Metallica, the intro to One is for you.
So... if one of my first real songs was One by Metallica... would that mean anything? O.o Also have made a lot of progress with Master of Puppets. Scared of the majority of the second solo, though. Probably won't try that yet...

And I've only had a guitar for two months. Sorry to do a sort of thread hi-jack, but am I supposed to be going this far ahead or something like that? O.o

To be somewhat relevant to the first post, the intro to One was my first riff (I think). Then the intro to Enter Sandman was one of my earlier riffs, too, but can't go much farther beyond that.
this thread is 4 years old, poor bastard probably quit....
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com