I play stuff anywhere from rock to death metal and i was wondering if this amp needs a boost from an OD pedal to give it a nice tight high gain crunch sound. Ive been wondering for a while now but never really asked around.
Jackson DXMG -> Vai Morley Wah -> Korg Black Tuner -> (Need a delay) -> Maxon OD808 -> BBE Sonic Maximizer -> ISP Noisegate -> Mesa Boogie Mark IV
I dunno about the head version, but my combo can get up to metal. Does hard rock well, but if you play around with the contour control, and crank it pretty loud its does metal well. I got my tubescreamer which can easily be used to push it into some serious gain territories.

But i found one of the best things for this is my eq pedal in the effects loop, add a bit of base and treble, and set the level up a bit, and it can get some serious gain
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
It depends. If you are dependant on your gear to acheive the tone/ sound for you, then yes, an overdrive pedal could enhance the distortion of the at100. But, if you understant that it takes technique, fingers, touch, stroke, strum, strength, finesse, then NO, it has all the gain/distortion you ever need.

Over the years, I've noticed its easy to become dependant on pedals and stuff but I've also trained myself to get tone out of the guitar and amp first and foremost. That being said, Ilve been playing the at100 for over two weeks now with NO pedals and it has all you'll ever need. Yes, by the way, I do have lots of pedals but for now I'm just enjoying the raw sound of this amp.
Sorry for ranting but I just had to let it out hehehe. Oh, and the two coronas I had for dinner helped too
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II
Jackson Soloist SL2H
Schecter Hellraiser Solo 6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Epiphone AJ200SCE Acoustic-Electric
Epiphone Embassy
Vintage Audition Mystery Guitar
B-52 AT100
Vox VT80
And I do play the styles your talking about through this amp. Everything from Rhoads era Ozzy to new stuff like Killswitch Engage, Slipknot, Disturbed, and it handles it with no pedals with ease.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II
Jackson Soloist SL2H
Schecter Hellraiser Solo 6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Epiphone AJ200SCE Acoustic-Electric
Epiphone Embassy
Vintage Audition Mystery Guitar
B-52 AT100
Vox VT80
I honestly think these amps sound very thin, like something is missing from it's tone. Just lacks that umph in my opinion. It's not b/c a lack of gain, it's just the voicing.