I have a 6505+ that still has all the stock tubes. I bought a Boss NS-2 to help with the feedback (yes I know the ISP is better), and it works find until I turn the amp up to about 4. I realize that I'll prob never have to turn up that loud on stage, but at the same time I don't want any feedback period. The preamp tubes are good ones (JJ and EHX) but the power tubes are Ruby's. My question is would changing the power tubes help with cutting feedback down?
Quote by forsaknazrael
How close are you to the amp?

Closer than I would be on a decent sized stage, but we did a recoding the other day and me and the other guitarist went outside our practice room. The feedback was reduced but there was still a little bit, just enough to annoy me. The NS-2 is maxed out too, it's doing all it can. Also, I only have the gain on 6ish, so that's not the problem, just thought I'd throw that out there.
I do too but that's not when it bugs me. Ok say I'm playing a riff and there's a pause so I mute the strings, feedback starts to ring out. It really pisses me off.
I doubt it, I've got a EMG 81/85 set, which I guess are really high output, but plenty of ppl use EMG's and 6505's without any problems, at least I don't think they have any problems.
Something might be going microphonic. Is it a high pitched squeal, or lower like intentional guitar feedback?
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
Quote by gwitersnamps
Something might be going microphonic. Is it a high pitched squeal, or lower like intentional guitar feedback?

+1

Also, you say your NS-2 is maxed out? What are your settings?
Quote by gwitersnamps

High pitched squeal, and to iammetalhead:

Threshold - Max
Decay - Min
Quote by zhunt1130
High pitched squeal, and to iammetalhead:

Threshold - Max
Decay - Min

Alright - just checkin... I've seen people run them with both threshold and decay maxed and wondered why they still got tons of feedback lol.

I didn't realize this was your thread zhunt - haven't seen you since that stupid "tube amps suck" thread... glad to see you back and posting again!
^ yea college starting back up and band practices kept me off UG for a while. Good to be back though. That thread was fun, I've missed shooting down unsuspecting idiots over the internet.
Feedback stems from the fact that the phase of the input audio to the Amp from and output are the same.
Lowering the volume definitely helps, although you may try repositioning the cabinet.
If the sound is bouncing fron a wall etc, it might help to reduce it.
Changing the tubes might not do anything, unless the tubes have lower power output, which in turn is like reducing the volume of the equipment.
I hope this helps.

KEEP ROCKING!!!
Quote by beatlemaniac69
Feedback stems from the fact that the phase of the input audio to the Amp from and output are the same.
Lowering the volume definitely helps, although you may try repositioning the cabinet.
If the sound is bouncing fron a wall etc, it might help to reduce it.
Changing the tubes might not do anything, unless the tubes have lower power output, which in turn is like reducing the volume of the equipment.
I hope this helps.

KEEP ROCKING!!!

Unfortunately, lowering the volume isn't really an option b/c we have 2 full kit drummers so I already have trouble hearing myself.
Quote by zhunt1130
I do too but that's not when it bugs me. Ok say I'm playing a riff and there's a pause so I mute the strings, feedback starts to ring out. It really pisses me off.

Does you guitar have two volume controls, one for each pickup?
What I often do for long pauses, and in songs where I don't need my neck pickup, is roll my neck pickup's volume all the way down, and switch to it when I need to be silent.

BTW, if you're muting the strings, you shouldn't be getting feedback from your guitar.
Feedback requires the strings to be vibrating.

What are the acoustics like in your practice space? Sounds like sound waves aren't just crashing around in there. You need to introduce some sound absorption and diffusion.

EDIT: Let's do a quick tube test, while I'm here. Turn your amp on. Guitar doesn't need to be plugged in. Use a pencil, and with the eraser, lightly tap on each tube. If you can hear the tap through the speaker plainly, you've got a microphonic tube.
Last edited by forsaknazrael at Sep 16, 2008,
That amp should be dead silent with the boss ns2 engaged. period. i would recommend a tube change. tubes checking out will create a "howling feedback" noise that you just can't get rid of if you turn your amp up. It will be less noticeable at lower volumes.
My ENGL Fireball was feeding back like a b!tch for ages, couldn't figure out exactly why.. I also have a Boss NS-2. I figured out that for some reason at my rehearsal space, certain positions in the room and certain power outlets led to the amp feeding back more. Turned out the major problem, however, was one particular monitor (the one I always used :S) that just did not agree with my amp at all.. If either came within 2 metres of the other the amp would spit the dummy!

Experiment with the positioning of the amp and power outlets, after you have exhausted these options it may be time to look into new tubes.
Gear:

Edwards Les Paul Custom
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Fender Stratocaster USA
Ibanez RG550DX

ENGL Fireball
Mesa 4x12 Cabinet
Quote by forsaknazrael

What are the acoustics like in your practice space? Sounds like sound waves aren't just crashing around in there. You need to introduce some sound absorption and diffusion.

That's probably part of the problem. We practice in a closed off section of a couple of the guy's basement that is unfinished. All the walls are bare concrete, so the sound just bounces all over the place. Not to mention we're pretty packed in there so even if I'm standing 4-5 feet away from my amp, my bassist's stack is no more than 4 feet away and the other guitarist's no more than 6.
i'm not sure where your Noise supressor is, but try placing it in they effects loop. i hear that helps dramatically.

and, depending on how old your tubes are and what kind (not brand wise, but 6L6, EL34, etc.), they may be the cause of your feedback. some tubes are more susceptable to microphonic feedback at lower levels.

i say try everything that has been mentioned in here. stand farther from the amp, get a bigger practice space, yadda yadda yadda....

an if all else fails, go acoustic.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Have you tried checking for microphonic tubes with the pencil tap, yet?

No I haven't...everything except my guitar is at our practice space right now b/c I'm not about to drag that back and forth 3 times a week, but I'll def try that out next time I go over there.

Oh and to the guy talking about the effects loop...I do that whenever I have my half stack at my place and it works perfectly, but I can't play as loud in my appt as I can in practice so it's hard to test that aspect. At low volumes (1-2 which is still LOUD) the NS-2 works great, I mean zero noise, but for some reason when I'm at practice (vol ~4) I get feedback, but as others have said it could just be due to horrible acoustics in our practice space.
If it's a high pitched squeal that won't go away my bet is a microphonic tube.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
Quote by zhunt1130
No I haven't...everything except my guitar is at our practice space right now b/c I'm not about to drag that back and forth 3 times a week, but I'll def try that out next time I go over there.

Oh and to the guy talking about the effects loop...I do that whenever I have my half stack at my place and it works perfectly, but I can't play as loud in my appt as I can in practice so it's hard to test that aspect. At low volumes (1-2 which is still LOUD) the NS-2 works great, I mean zero noise, but for some reason when I'm at practice (vol ~4) I get feedback, but as others have said it could just be due to horrible acoustics in our practice space.

You don't need your guitar to do the pencil tap test.
Quote by forsaknazrael

I think he was referring to his amp there (cause I hate lugging around even my VK ) I don't see why he would refer to his guitar as something "hard" to carry around 3 times a week.

If he was referring to his guitar, then...
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I have this exact same problem. It is seriously annoying. I have a Karina Les Paul copy and a Peavey Valveking 212. As soon as the amp volume goes over 3.5 - 4 it gives nasty high-pitched squel / feedback. I changed the pickup to a seymour duncan and it made no difference.

Its not the amp either because I have tried another Valveking and it was the same.

Time for a new guitar I think
I've had that problem using different electrical outlets. Try using a different one. I also get that problem using a standard power strip from somewhere like Office Depot. It could fix it, but even if it doesn't, if you don't use a cheap power strip, you'll get better tone.
Pretty sure its the guitar, because I tried it on a different Valveking and got the same thing and tried a different guitar on my Valveking and it was ok. Will try the suggestions made in this thread though. Cheers.
Quote by forsaknazrael

He was saying that his amp isn't at his house, its at his band's practice space, but he will try the pencil test the next time he goes to practice lol.
Quote by zhunt1130

Same thing often happens with me on stage

but it's not ear splitting feed back, and it fits into my bands style
Quote by darth awsome
Try the NS-2 at different points in your signal chain.

It's the only pedal in my chain at the moment. Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the power outlet. Our practice space is in an unfinished section of my other guitarist's basement and I always plug straight into the socket. At practice I have to use the NS-2 between my guitar and the amp to reduce the feedback as much as I can. When I have my amp at my place, I use it in the loop and it cuts absolutely everything. Now granted I'm not playing as loud but I still usually turn it up to 1.5-2 which is pretty damn loud considering I don't have to get over any drums in my bedroom.