Page 1 of 3
I'm tryin to decide between three guitars, one of which I'm probably gonna buy soon. I just can't choose, so I need opinions on which is better.

ESP LTD EC-1000 Deluxe

or

Gibson Explorer (probably white)

or

Gibson Flying V
(Invalid img)

I have played both Gibsons in the store and they seemed like solid, great sounding guitars, but I've never played an ec-1000 (although I heard you get more for the price). Either way, if I get either Gibson, I'm putting EMG's in it for the style of music I play, which is mostly metal and rock.
the Gibsons will probably be the better investment quality wise, even though ESP's are definitely not crappy
You could buy a esp eclipse insted of buying an explorer and switching PU's....
But I would get the explorer bc it looks so badass
edit: beaten
I've gotta say, this may be just bias (being the proud owner of an ec-1000), but I would most definitely recommend the ESP. I bought mine through Musician's Friend for around $850, and I haven't put it down since. It really does cover all the ranges of music, and I'd put it against a $2000 Gibson any day. Don't get me wrong, I've played the V and the Explorer, they're really amazing instruments, I just feel like I get more out of the ESP. Really, you've just gotta decide how much money you'd like to spend. I was able to use the cash I saved getting my ec-1000 to buy a new AD50VT amp. There's my 2 cents. Good luck, man. Keep us updated on your choice. I'd like to hear what you think of your new guitar.
I've got that same Gibson V with EMGs in it, and I love it. It's by far my favourite guitar I've ever played
Now officially has too much gear to list

PM me if you want to know about my recording setup
Well, that's a tuffy. While ESP's are definitely good instruments, you have to remember that a Gibson, if maintained properly, will actually gain value. So if you plan on keeping it for a long time, perhaps even handing it down to children yada yada yada, A gibson will be worth more, and sound better with the age. Also, explorers are definitely capable of playing hard rock/metal with the stock pups, James Hetfield plays one.
Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
yeah was weird cause she liked us both but she loved him and for some reason she let me know beforehand.

i just wanted her poon and she wanted me to have her poon.

so i had myself some poon.
Both Companies make great guitars. Thats all i have to say

You have to make the call bro.
From a guy named Mike
Originally posted by justinhawkins

id knock boots with paris any day, but i bet robert plant has a better-sounding orgasm
ESP>Gibson

ESP you are paying for a solid, well crafted guitar. Gibsons aren't bad, but when you buy a new Gibson you are paying more for the name than you are for anything else - Gibsons just are what they use to be!
I was lookin at the eclipse too, but I don't know if I'm ready to pay 1500 or over for a guitar yet. It'll be worth it, but the explorer could definitely suit me for now. It really is one of the most badass shaped guitars. Although I played the Flying V and kinda liked the sound better than the explorer so idk. I'm torn...
You're right, it's just bias.

Quote by Grocelog
I've gotta say, this may be just bias (being the proud owner of an ec-1000), but I would most definitely recommend the ESP. I bought mine through Musician's Friend for around $850, and I haven't put it down since. It really does cover all the ranges of music, and I'd put it against a $2000 Gibson any day.
And yet another noob comment.

Quote by i_am_metalhead
ESP>Gibson

ESP you are paying for a solid, well crafted guitar. Gibsons aren't bad, but when you buy a new Gibson you are paying more for the name than you are for anything else - Gibsons just are what they use to be!
I think the extremely sharp cut on the ESP looks a bit finky. Ain't quite right. If you're going to clone a Les Paul, either do something really different or make it look right. Other than that, I don't know anything about them.

I would get the Explorer. You can do a lot of things with one, it's a little different from the usual suspects, it plays well, and it's pretty well priced. I love the design. The V is also a good choice.
This space foreclosed, due to the ailing economy.
It's a tough choice but down to personal preference. I'd get the EC-1000, but the Gibsons with EMG's will be great too. I think to save hassle and for a more playable guitar, go for the EC-1000.
Quote by bdonovan
I'm tryin to decide between three guitars, one of which I'm probably gonna buy soon. I just can't choose, so I need opinions on which is better.

ESP LTD EC-1000 Deluxe

or

Gibson Explorer (probably white)

or

Gibson Flying V
(Invalid img)

I have played both Gibsons in the store and they seemed like solid, great sounding guitars, but I've never played an ec-1000 (although I heard you get more for the price). Either way, if I get either Gibson, I'm putting EMG's in it for the style of music I play, which is mostly metal and rock.

I'm voting the EC. You DO get alot more for the price. They're (in my opinion) built nicer, look nicer, already have the EMG's that you want/need for your style, and are typically cheaper than Gibsons. The reason Gibson is so overpriced is because all of the big boys endorse them (Sons of bitches.) Go with the ESP dude, you won't regret it. (EMG's also cost an extra 200$ for a set.. Consider it that way when price matching.)
http://www.youtube.com/user/w0nk001

1977 Gibson SG

Line 6 Toneport UX2

Peavey EVH 5150

Quote by poidaobi;8303134
Fiddy Juan Fiddy
Dual Rectumfrier Too Chaaan

Had an ENGRUL Powerlawl and a Fraymus Co-Bra.
What a load of shit. Yeah, so ESP (parent company of LTD) doesn't have a lot of endorsed players? Does Metallica ring a bell?

So you think an LTD is built nicer than a Gibson? Good Lord.

So you think those EMGs are better than the 496R/500T in the Explorer and Flying V? I wouldn't be so sure.

Quote by w0nk001
I'm voting the EC. You DO get alot more for the price. They're (in my opinion) built nicer, look nicer, already have the EMG's that you want/need for your style, and are typically cheaper than Gibsons. The reason Gibson is so overpriced is because all of the big boys endorse them (Sons of bitches.) Go with the ESP dude, you won't regret it. (EMG's also cost an extra 200$ for a set.. Consider it that way when price matching.)
what about an esp explorer? those are baddass >
Gear:
ESP/LTD EC-1000
Ibanez 540S MIJ 1990
PodXT
Micro Cube
Last edited by Daseman at Sep 16, 2008,
I'd go with the Eclipse. I love ESP/LTD necks. Just feel so much better than any other neck I've played. Plus the build quality is good, sound is brilliant and it's pretty.
Although if you want an explorer why not check out the LTD EX-400, another brilliant guitar.
If you are gonna buy a gibson then change PU,i think it s better for u to get the esp
Quote by Scream And Fly
What a load of shit. Yeah, so ESP (parent company of LTD) doesn't have a lot of endorsed players? Does Metallica ring a bell?

So you think an LTD is built nicer than a Gibson? Good Lord.

So you think those EMGs are better than the 496R/500T in the Explorer and Flying V? I wouldn't be so sure.

Compare Metallica's 'skills' to those of who're endorsed/play (by) Gibson. -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Gibson_players

You'll see what I mean. Kirk Hammet is balls compared to them.

The guy who said you're paying more for the Gibson name rather than the playability/sound of the instrument is completely correct. Gibson is good, but I prefer ESP/LTD more (Note how I didn't say any of either were better. Every guitarist has their preferred guitar style.) I'm just saying, for less money, you get a WAY better guitar for Metal. (What the guy wants to ****ing play.)
http://www.youtube.com/user/w0nk001

1977 Gibson SG

Line 6 Toneport UX2

Peavey EVH 5150

Quote by poidaobi;8303134
Fiddy Juan Fiddy
Dual Rectumfrier Too Chaaan

Had an ENGRUL Powerlawl and a Fraymus Co-Bra.
Gibsons Have A Freakingly Crushing Sound!!!!!
Gear:
Morpheus Droptune
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Bugera 333xl 212
SCHECTER JEFF LOOMIS C7 FR
Quote by Jiro from GLAY
Why do people seem to confuse a ESP with an LTD?

ESP=ESP
LTD=LTD?
The company is ESP. Hence, I called it an ESP LTD.
what about an LTD ex 400?

looks better than a gibby explorer imo due to the fact its pointyer, also has emg's etc

or you could get the DJ-600

it has a floyd and an EMG afterburner

theonly thing is the finish is like marmite....
Quote by SlayedInTheFace
I would wank over all of you if I was a gay paedophile who liked simultanous gay wanking
Last edited by mrbungle50221 at Sep 16, 2008,
Im not a big fan of the three button layout and the cutaway on the eclipse. You cant really go wrong with either of these three guitars. If i was set on a les paul shape id def get a edwards lp though
I would say the LTD if it didn't have all that abalone bling on it. I've just been reminded how much I hate 'shape' guitars...
American Deluxe maple board Strat
Hot Rod Deluxe
Fulltone Fulldrive II mosfet
Quote by w0nk001
Compare Metallica's 'skills' to those of who're endorsed/play (by) Gibson. -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Gibson_players

You'll see what I mean. Kirk Hammet is balls compared to them.

The guy who said you're paying more for the Gibson name rather than the playability/sound of the instrument is completely correct. Gibson is good, but I prefer ESP/LTD more (Note how I didn't say any of either were better. Every guitarist has their preferred guitar style.) I'm just saying, for less money, you get a WAY better guitar for Metal. (What the guy wants to ****ing play.)

Haha, I know at least one or two players from every letter, On the esp website, I know a total of.... 5 guitarists....... : /
Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
yeah was weird cause she liked us both but she loved him and for some reason she let me know beforehand.

i just wanted her poon and she wanted me to have her poon.

so i had myself some poon.
I wouldn't think ESP had a bunch of unknowns with names like Mark Morton, Richie Sambora, and Ron Wood.

Sure that list of Gibson players is fairly large. But it encompasses a wide spectrum of musical history.

Not to mention both of Metallica's guitarists have played on a Gibson at some point. I recall Hammett used a Flying V for the longest.

What it comes down to is preference I suppose and how much you're willing to spend for a guitar you'd really enjoy. Just go play a few LTDs or ESPs and see what you think and stack them next to a Gibson on a nice amp.
Well, I have the Eclipse with SD (ESP, not LTD) and I tried the Flying V.
The Flying V is more versatile for my opinion, but I think the LTD is better to metal.
GEAR:
guitars - ESP Eclipse-II FM, ESP LTD M-50, crapy classic guitar.
amps - Rivera Venus 3, Rocktorn Rampage 20R.
and crapy pedal of Digitech.
Quote by bdonovan
The company is ESP. Hence, I called it an ESP LTD.

What does the headstock say?

Exactly: LTD.
So where you get the ESP?

Putting ESP in front of LTD is a marketting trick. To let dumb people think they have an ESP. LTD has nothing to do with the factory of ESP. Its a daughter company, just like epiphone is a daughter company of gibson, squier and jackson of fender, edwards of ESP, OLP of music man, etc etc.

Nobody sais: "Hey, i bought a Gibson epiphone LP."
Or "i have a Fender Jackson".
See how idiotic this is?

Its LTD, not ESP.
Learn to live with it.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by LP_CL

Putting ESP in front of LTD is a marketting trick. To let dumb people think they have an ESP. LTD has nothing to do with the factory of ESP. Its a daughter company, just like epiphone is a daughter company of gibson, squier and jackson of fender, edwards of ESP, OLP of music man, etc etc.

See how idiotic this is?

Its LTD, not ESP.
Learn to live with it.

LTD isn't company of ESP, just a cheap versions of the ESP models (of course the quality of ESP is better than the LTD quality).
GEAR:
guitars - ESP Eclipse-II FM, ESP LTD M-50, crapy classic guitar.
amps - Rivera Venus 3, Rocktorn Rampage 20R.
and crapy pedal of Digitech.
Quote by LP_CL

See how idiotic this is?

Its LTD, not ESP.
Learn to live with it.

ltd is closer to esp than epiphone/squier is to gibson/fender.

for example, ltd and esp both share the same webpage (espguitars.com) and when you're browsing guitars there you get ltd guitars and esp guitars listed together. There is no separate ltd site which lists ltd guitars or esp site which lists the esp guitars. there is just one list with all models.

in the other cases we have gibson.com - epiphone.com and fender.com - squierguitars.com

you will not find any squiers on the product listings on the fender site.

Judging from this it is logical to draw the conclusion that esp want ltd to be percieved as being close to esp in terms of quality etc. While gibson and even more so fender clearly draw a line between the parent company and the doughter company.

for example you can find some really expensive high-end LTDs. This isn't the case with squier and epiphone(elitist excluded since it's only for japan) afaik.

Ofcourse this is all esp's marketing plan. I havent played neither esp or ltd so I can't tell how they compare to eachother in reality, just giving my oppinion as someone from the outside. Judging from the pricing though, LTD seems to overlap ESP alot more than epiphone and squier does to gibson and fender.
Gear:
ESP/LTD EC-1000
Ibanez 540S MIJ 1990
PodXT
Micro Cube
Quote by Varius Strato
LTD isn't company of ESP, just a cheap versions of the ESP models (of course the quality of ESP is better than the LTD quality).

Squier isn't company of Fender, just a cheap versions of the Fender models (of course the quality of fender is better than the squier quality).

Epiphone isn't company of Gibson, just a cheap versions of the Gibson models (of course the quality of Gibson is better than the epiphone quality).

How does that sound?
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by Daseman
ltd is closer to esp than epiphone/squier is to gibson/fender.

for example, ltd and esp both share the same webpage (espguitars.com) and when you're browsing guitars there you get ltd guitars and esp guitars listed together. There is no separate ltd site which lists ltd guitars or esp site which lists the esp guitars. there is just one list with all models.

in the other cases we have gibson.com - epiphone.com and fender.com - squierguitars.com

you will not find any squiers on the product listings on the fender site.

Judging from this it is logical to draw the conclusion that esp want ltd to be percieved as being close to esp in terms of quality etc. While gibson and even more so fender clearly draw a line between the parent company and the doughter company.

for example you can find some really expensive high-end LTDs. This isn't the case with squier and epiphone(elitist excluded since it's only for japan) afaik.

Ofcourse this is all esp's marketing plan. I havent played neither esp or ltd so I can't tell how they compare to eachother in reality, just giving my oppinion as someone from the outside. Judging from the pricing though, LTD seems to overlap ESP alot more than epiphone and squier does to gibson and fender.

For the website part: you're right, that is true, but thats the only difference.

There are expensive high end Epiphones and Squiers too. The elitists, the epi prophecy series, the epiphone custom series.
For squier we have the JV strat for example, which costs about the same( second hand!!!) than an american standard strat.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Last edited by LP_CL at Sep 16, 2008,
Squire, Epiphone, and Jackson were all notable acquisitions by Gibson and Fender. Epiphone, for one, was noted for their superior hollow bodies even before Gibson bought them. LTD was specifically created by ESP to create more affordable.

Whatever. We're splitting hairs.

If getting really, REALLY close to a 2000+ guitar is enough for you, then it's good enough.
I have the ESP LTD EC-1000 in the Amber Sunburst w/Seymour Duncans. It is a beautiful guitar that plays wonderfully. I would put it against most Gibsons. You get a lot for your money.........a lot.
- - Dave - -

Gear:

ESP LTD EC-1000 Amber Sunburst w/Duncans
Roland 20W Cube Amp

Want:
New tube amp.....
Quote by LP_CL

See how idiotic this is?

Its LTD, not ESP.
Learn to live with it.
I know the difference between the two, dipshit. I don't need a lesson. The fact that you get your period over me using three letters makes you a ****ing loser. If you ask someone what guitar they have, does anyone ever say "oh, I got an ltd". No, usually people say they have an esp. I put ESP before LTD because ESP, Electric Sound Products, makes LTD guitars. If you have a problem with that, blow me or get out of my thread. You are of no use, especially when you can't spell when you make an argument.

Back on topic......

To the guy that suggested the EX-400 and Dan Jacobs sig, the EX is cool but I want to get a little more expensive guitar, one that I'll get the most out of for now. As for the Dan Jacobs sig, I don't really want to get a sig guitar from a guitarist I don't really like plus I'd rather take an EMG 81/60 combo than a 81/85.
Page 1 of 3