Would it be loud enough for band practices and small gigs on its own, yet not sound like a turd at low volumes?
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
don't know.

how big are your gigs and how loud is your drummer?

what kind of music?

It's 15 watts and all tube so the closest experience I would have would be a Blues Jr. That is a great amp and can gig. Anything can be mic'd of course.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Pro-Junior-Combo-Amp-100036382-i1145368.gc

what is your budget and style? Or are you just askin'? I see you are in New Zealand.
I don't play gigs right now, but next year I'm off to uni so I plan to start.

Mostly alternative rock. I have a Digitech Grunge and Boss OD-2 for distortion and overdrive, so good cleans are no.1 priority.

My budget is probably $1000NZ max. The Pro Jr is $900 here, so the $100 left over would mean I'll have enough for a decent wah pedal or even a Digitech Whammy. (Once I have my EH Small Clone for chorus, the Whammy and probably a Bad Horsie will do me for pedals).
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
TradeMe is good to a point. Because NZ is a small country, we don't often have that much good used stuff and what is there is usually expensive as (as you can probably see from the prices on the site). Besides, it's my early Christmas/Hindu holiday present from the parents and they ain't stretching much past $1000 and don't want me to get used stuff for whatever reason.
Quote by Cathbard
This here is the best, most epic demo of the Pro Junior I've seen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPChfSClslQ
I reckon it'll be enough. If it turns out I end up playing somewhere which is too big for my amp/overdrive but doesn't have a PA system, I'll hire or borrow an amp and eat dog food for a few days.
Quote by Cathbard
^Just make sure it's not the kind that uses pig intestines.
It gets pretty damn loud. I was playing mine yesterday and my room was actually shaking at 12. Cool feeling. But I actually like it better a lowewr volumes (i.e. 5-6) because the breakup doesn't sound that great.
It wouldn't really cut it in a band situation I don't think. Might just get over a quiet drummer.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Last edited by R_H_C_P at Sep 16, 2008,
I would think a Blues Jr would be better as it has the onboard eq, reverb and bigger speaker. Maybe find a used one if possible or save. I use a Blues Jr with a drummer, I can be heard just fine. I would mic it for a gig. (IF I used it for a gig) If you can find a used Traynor YCV40, it would be worth a look too. I found the cleans to be on par with the fenders.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.