I have a Jackson RR3 that I bought from a Guitar Center. I know I should have ordered one, and not bought it off the showroom floor but hey I was a guitar virgin at the time and I just saw it and thought, Hey Kirk Hammett has a guitar like that and I just bought it. Little did I know, the dickheads at GC sold me a guitar with a busted floyd rose bridge, shitty wiring, and NO LOCKING NUT!!! So after putting in around $400-600 dollars into new pups, floyd rose, and wiring, and what not. I got it fixed. Until I realized I ordered the wrong size floyd for my guitar. I bought a 1 5/6 size nut and my guitar has a 1 11/16 size nut. So I just said the hell with it I'm gonna sell it and forgot about it. So today I got my new ESP and decided to get my Jackson out to clean its neck and prep it for an ebay sell. After I cleaned it, I picked it up and fell in love with it after putting up with the shit I had to endure to get it playable over a years time and decided that I would keep it. To make a long story short, I want to know if I can just buy a new locking nut and slap on the right size one and have it work, or will I have to buy a whole new floyd rose unit for that size nut?
how about you hock the FR you have atm on ebay and buy the right one?
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
Well the only part that doesnt fit is the nut clamp itself the rest fits just find. I think if I buy a new locking nut set, it should fit fine shouldnt it. The problem is that the nut is off the fretboard and neck at the nut because the screw holes do not match up.
Quote by SCopeland24
Well the only part that doesnt fit is the nut clamp itself the rest fits just find. I think if I buy a new locking nut set, it should fit fine shouldnt it. The problem is that the nut is off the fretboard and neck at the nut because the screw holes do not match up.

Yeah, that'd be indicative of the fact that you're not doing the right thing. I think the best idea would be to not mess with things that aren't broken that were on the guitar from the factory and just adapt your purchases to it, i.e. get a bridge that fits properly. I think it would be more prudent than just buying something cheaper and crossing your fingers and hoping it works.
Epiphone Riviera Jorma Kaukonen Deluxe
Orange Tiny Terror with a Mesa 2x12 Lone Star
Boss PH-3
Jekyll & Hyde Ultimate Overdrive
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Boss DD-20
Fender Deluxe Mexi-Jazz
??? The bridge works fine. The guitar stays in tune and I can dive bomb. The only problem is the high E keeps going sharp on me even though the intonation is right. I know how to take care of a guitar now. I had to learn since the only guy in town sucks at it. Like I said its fine except the high E is slightly sharp and the strings are all shifted to the point where the high E is almost off the fretboard. The problem with it is not that it doesnt fit (minus the locking nut) and its a prefectly good bridge. I just want to make sure that if I get the right nut on their it wouldnt be a waste of another $30.

I mean I get what you guys are saying, but it also seems like a waste of money to just buy a new floyd because of one part that doesn't fit.
Last edited by SCopeland24 at Sep 16, 2008,
If it's just the nut that doesn't fit, change the nut out with a correct sized locking one. Seems like an easy dealeo to me. As long as at fret #21-24 the high e and low e both are well onto the fretboard surface. Should be fine if you have everything else correct.
sounds like you know what the issue is. just get the right sized nut.