I have played a lot of string brands so far. Hate Deans, GHS. Love D'Addarios, and Ernie Balls. But what about the other brands? I'm thinking of trying Dunlop strings next, are they good and what are some other good brands? To me good strings are ones that are comfortable on your fingers, smooth, durable, and last a long time.
Quote by SCopeland24
To me good strings are ones that are comfortable on your fingers, smooth, durable, and last a long time.

Then why do you dislike GHS? They last longer than any other brand I've used and have equally as good of, if not better, tone.

Of the brands that I've used here is my opinion:

Good brands:
GHS
DR
D'Addario
Earnie Ball
Elixir

Bad brands:
Fender
Gibson
First Act (had to try and see lol)
To me good strings are ones that are comfortable on your fingers, smooth, durable, and last a long time.

elixir
Well actually it was the boomers I didnt like in the GHS line, I didt like the Mustaine strings, but again I didnt like the Zakk Wylde ones that much, just didnt feel right on my RR3. But how are DR strings, are they any good?
I personally like D'Addarios the best.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Yes thats what I'm liking the best, except the Ernie Balls are best for active pickups it seems, but I just want to try a lot to see what I like, I mean I could like the DRs or Elixers or not.
As far as quality, I'd say Dean Markley, DR, and Elixers are the best. I hate coated strings, so I don't get elixers.

Ernie balls feel funny, so I don't use them. GHS breaks too easily, so I don't get them. Both of those are also too bright.
Quote by imgooley
As far as quality, I'd say Dean Markley, DR, and Elixers are the best. I hate coated strings, so I don't get elixers.

Ernie balls feel funny, so I don't use them. GHS breaks too easily, so I don't get them. Both of those are also too bright.

Really? I never break GHS strings - even when I try to break them, they don't break.
I really like Ernie Balls' sound. I think they are best in maybe the initial quality but might not as last as long as others. I feel like others don't have the same twangy bright sound as them. I still have never tried ghs strings and I would really like too though.
Elixirs pretty muhc pwn everything else. I personally don't like DR strings, Ernie Ball, Dean Markley to be particular. D'Addario are good but if you live in Australia, don't buy them. Dunlops are also very good. I have yet to try GHS so I can't tell you, but Elixirs are definitely second to none.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Really? I never break GHS strings - even when I try to break them, they don't break.

I almost never break strings, and if I do, it's always tuning.

The first day I put a pack of boomers on my guit, the high E popped. Happened the next time I bought them. Same thing. Didn't buy another pack.
I'm actually looking for new strings to use. I started outusing D'addarios but I didn't like the way they felt. Then I switched to Ernie Balls and liked the way they sounded, and I've been using them. But I'm getting sick of them because I've had multiple packs that started to rust after like a week.

Not to hijack the thread, but can anyone help me? I play mostly metal and shred, I'd like them to sound alright but I prefer playability, like I'd like them to feel smooth, slippery, etc. I normally use .10's but I've been thinking about .9's as well.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
iv only really played Ernie Ball and Elixir but i highly recommend Elixir
There's no point fearing death, as it is inevitably going to happen

ESP Ltd H-302
Jackson KE3 (for sale)
Schecter Blackhawk
Roland Cube 60
Elixirs kick ass. I also agree that GHS strings suck. Ernie Balls aren't bad but they seem to foul up faster on me than anything else I have used.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Tried DR hi beams 2 years ago, haven't gone back since. I used to use D'Addario but after I tried the DRs I realized the D'Addarios had this little twang to them that I didn't like. I say try a set of DRs out.
D'Addario are the best for me by far, they've been my choice for 7 years. I also like Ernie Ball, DR and GHS. Elixirs left me pretty cold. And I hate Dean Markley, Fender and Gibson.
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
personally, i like Daddarios, GHS and Rotosound. i've had my Roto Yellows for more than two months and it's still good.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
I like G strings best. Any girl has got one and if you're charming they are for free. Feel smoother than any guitar string! Usually don't last long though
Mm.. at the moment, I use 'Elixir' strings. Personally I like them the most.
They're a little bit more expensive than other strings but, they worth it.
D'addario is a good brand to
And Ernie Ball strings
Almost strings are all made in the same factory in Tennessee.

The different brands buy the wire (string) in bulk from the factory and repackage it. Different brands don't necessarily sound better, they are all using the same wire from the same company. The only difference is the string gauge and packaging, so if you think a certain brand is better it's because you prefer that combination of gauges or are influenced by the packaging or what somebody else said.

Elixirs are an exception because of the coating. There are also a few boutique brands made by a Canadien wire company and another in Germany.