Page 1 of 2
hey everyone. I was just wondering what people's thoughts were on what an electric guitar (plugged into an amp) would sound like at 0 gravity.? Do you think it would effect the rate at which the strings vibrated? And even so would that change the sound produced?
No.
Kind of nominated for Best Retired User.

Skepto > Oxygen
Probably not.

(did i break something?)
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Just for the hell of it and to break the chain I'll say Yes.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
No. And screw anyone who wants to break chains. D***a**es need to be taken care of.
lilboyineblue22 wrote:

IVE GOT ONE AND THE SUBTLENESS OF IT IS WHAT I LIKE

Curb stomp.
Actually, it depends where your 0 gravity is. If the guitar is just floating around in space... well the strings would snap and it would warp and stuff. But anyways! In a vacuum... ok you wouldn't be able to hear it. So yes, it would change the sound by making no sound.
No, because gravity does not affect sonic/light waves.
Quote by RoamingConflict
This one dream involved me, one random girl, midgets and a pie.

...and midgets ended up f*cking her. I got the pie.

Quote by BloodMoon666

Uh.. Yeah, gravity does affect light waves. Ever seen what the sun looks like during an eclipse? Its also why light can't escape black holes.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Quote by BloodMoon666

Light waves are quite a bit different from sound waves that the human ear can capture. And gravity does effect those waves (Black holes, for example), but in this case it far from matters.
Quote by BloodMoon666

Also, gravity affects air pressure. Which would then affect the sound waves.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

at zero gravity, if you mean outside the atmosphere, then no you cant have sound because there is no media for the sound wave to displace to travel through. but gravity doesn't cause this, well not directly
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Quote by Deep*Kick
at zero gravity, if you mean outside the atmosphere, then no you cant have sound because there is no media for the sound wave to displace to travel through. but gravity doesn't cause this, well not directly

In space, no one can hear you scream.

On topic, I think its fair to assume he means on earth because he specifies an electric guitar. What is he going to plug into in the middle of outer space? And if our gravity was different, the air pressure wouldn't be the same, therefore the soundwaves would be affected. But only indirectly by gravity.
Quote by vintage x metal

INFITE SUSTAIN

Don't ever take a Les Paul into space, the sustain alone would kill you. Listening posts beyond Saturn could hear it.

Quote by s-mac
You can have zero gravity inside a spaceship.

Yeah, but musicians aren't meant for space. Just ask Lance Bass.
Quote by vintage x metal

Quote by tonedeafidiot
No

No
Quote by yankovicfan3125
i guess i found out why people hate it, because they dont know how to use it and because they've never seen the 6 channels. now whenever i see someone insult spiders, im thinking to myself "stupid n00b..." it's really a great amp.
It would be nice if Richard Branson invented a small space where musicians can jam with each other...

in space!!!
Quote by dan ramP
RSOB and Gavs must have a great relationship to be able to sleep around so much
Quote by RSOB Bass
Yeah, it's pretty flexible. Like gavz.

Likes to play thread games, also!

*[/dead]*
It wouldn't affect the sound. Sound spreads out and diffracts very, very easily. Zero Gravity won't affect air pressure. Neither will it affect the wave itself. And free vibration is still allowed. There wouldn't be any change from an environment with gravity to an environment without.
I dont think it changes the sound much... Astronauts listen to music unboard the space shuttles...
PICTURE YOURSELF IN A BOAT ON A RIVER
WITH TANGERINE TREES AND MARMALADE SKIES...
Quote by zeppelinfreak51
Yes...0 gravity=no forces to stop string from vibrating=infinite sustain???

There are a million factors that could (and will) stop the strings from vibrating. You're still in a pressurised cabin of some sort, aren't you?

I actually played my guitar in 0 G a couple of months ago, and I didn't notice anything except that I had to adjust my guitar slightly.
Guitars:
Ibanez IC400BK
Ibanez RG550BK

Amplifiers:
ENGL Screamer 50 Combo
Quote by Ox Iceman
There are a million factors that could (and will) stop the strings from vibrating. You're still in a pressurised cabin of some sort, aren't you?

Such as?
Quote by Ox Iceman

I actually played my guitar in 0 G a couple of months ago, and I didn't notice anything except that I had to adjust my guitar slightly.

Wait, what?
Quote by LordBishek
Wait, what?

Oh yeah! True story that...
Guitars:
Ibanez IC400BK
Ibanez RG550BK

Amplifiers:
ENGL Screamer 50 Combo
Page 1 of 2