What is it with people and gibsons?
People at school rave on about them, but why?
I played one (les paul standard) and it wasnt that great.
I also played a PRS ( not sure on the model) and it was awesome!
so What is it with gibsons? to me they seem overpriced and overrated...discuss
Quote by neopowell
That would be amazing. "I WILL BURN EVERYTHING!" *Garrigan appears with bucket* "Fuck this for a giggle, I'm outta here..."

Blog?
follow me
i dunno...
It is just a popular brand..
and yea, they are overpriced and overrated...
Because some time ago, most probably before you and i were born or atleast old enough to play, Gibsons made good guitars. Now they are just endorsed by musicians who use them in their music videos, and Gibson live off their reputation while making less quality guitars now.
"If you want beef, then bring the ruckus." - Marilyn Monroe
Matter of personal opinion, they are good, but overpriced.

A gibson is just a guitar, but i played one worth the money so i bought it.
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
Gibson is just a guitar with an expensive headstock yes they are a good guitar but epiphone make exactly the same if not better and cheaper
Quote by RunWithTheDevil
i prefer jacksons

personally i like PRS but i wont be able to get for a few years
Quote by neopowell
That would be amazing. "I WILL BURN EVERYTHING!" *Garrigan appears with bucket* "Fuck this for a giggle, I'm outta here..."

Blog?
follow me
If you want the sound of a Gibson, then theres no alternative. Especially the Les Pauls have a unique sound that no other guitar has. You want that? you pay!
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
You can't really dismiss the whole brand from one guitar. Gibsons are notoriously inconsistent - I've played a LP custom that was average and a classic antique that was awesome. They quite often need set-ups as well (which isn't really excusable for such an expensive guitar).

Whilst LPs are overpriced - they are partly hand-made (in a country where labour is expensive) and take a relatively long time to produce because of the nitro finish.
American Deluxe maple board Strat
Hot Rod Deluxe
Fulltone Fulldrive II mosfet
over priced? yeah

over rated? no way dude!

get a nice vintage (or newer) Gibby and stand in front of a real Marshall stack and feel the sonic awesomeness go through you. I guarantee it will be a life changing experience.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
I find gibson fretboards are too short and crowded for my fat man fingers
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
I’m considering an Epi LP and while doing a bit of research on them I came across Tokai, and to my surprise the appear to be very, and I mean very highly regarded. Tokai make some stunning quality Les Paul’s and at a reasonable price too. I think the LC75 retails about 500-700 and some ppl regard then on a par with Gibbo’s and superior to the Epi’s.

Tokai!!
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Tanglewood TW15NS
Line6 Spider III 15w (playing into the MP3/CD input = bypass all the Spider processing)
Boss DD-3
DigiTech RP500

My other passion in life My Site
My Korean made Washburn WI64 plays better than any Gibson under $1000 and this guitar cost $300. I played a Gibson Les Paul Special or something and the binding on the fretboard was tough and terrible and rough. I wasnt impressed with then SG Special faded either. I played a Les Paul Classic and it was alright, damn chambered bodies, I actually like the feel of a heavier Les Paul
It's like Marshall...what other brand of amps does a newb know about? It's all because their favorite little crappy pop-punk-alternative-girly band plays Gibson, and in every other place a full stack with the word "Marshall" written all over it.

But I love Gibson les pauls. Every single one I played, except the Custom, were exceptional. and the sound. you gotta love the sound the Les Paul is synonymous for.
Alot of those people who say Gibsons are everything haven't played one, they are just trying to make it sound like the know alot.

They are good, and I like them, but it comes down to what you like, I've tried lots of Fenders and could not find one that felt right for me.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Are you aware people that Gibsons have always been the most expensive brand? These things about them being 'overpriced' have always been around.

Anyways, I've played a PRS, and I prefered Gibson. I guess it's just prefernce. Oh well. I prefer Fender to mainly all the guitars I've played.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Les pauls are all expensive cause they are signature guitars.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Quote by Deep*Kick
Les pauls are all expensive cause they are signature guitars.

no they are not

big fail there
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Gibsons have a certain unmistakable tone that some people find very desirable, they also take a bit more work to put together than fenders (who are basically the main competition)

Gibsons are in no way overrated, for some they will be the perfect guitar others will prefer soemthing else for all manner of reasons

As for being overpriced, that's really a matter of opinion aswell, if you deem it a worthwhile purchase than in your eyes it' not overpriced, Also with Gibson guitars, the value tends to increase or atleast stay fairly level while many other brands the value will drop quite dramatically when used
Quote by LP_CL
no they are not

big fail there

Weeeeeeeell not to knitpick or anything, but there was a man called Les Paul, who was a recording artist and had some input on a solid body guitar. He worked with a mandolin/acoustic/hollowbody company called Gibson. Heard of them?

Anyways, Les Paul liked the model so the company named the guitar after him. Ergo the name Gibson Les Paul.

Of course it's not your typical signature guitar.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by LP_CL
no they are not

big fail there

Well, it could be a signature guitar, consider it was origanlly endorsed and named after Les Paul.

But yeah, it's not exactly to his specs now.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by LP_CL
no they are not

big fail there

technically, they are. Have you seen someone that play rock music who hasn't used a gibson in their carreer? Gibson screams rock in a sea of metal and shred guitars.
Quote by GArrigan
What is it with people and gibsons?
People at school rave on about them, but why?
I played one (les paul standard) and it wasnt that great.
I also played a PRS ( not sure on the model) and it was awesome!
so What is it with gibsons? to me they seem overpriced and overrated...discuss

Some people like them, some don't. I personally love the Les Paul Standards, Customs and Explorers. I love the thick warm sound they have, and the neck is really nice, apart from the upper-fret access.
Quote by JLT73
over priced? yeah

over rated? no way dude!

get a nice vintage (or newer) Gibby and stand in front of a real Marshall stack and feel the sonic awesomeness go through you. I guarantee it will be a life changing experience.

They are what made me the woman I am today...

I mean man...

I mean... crap damnit....

Anyway, yeah, I do think they're overpriced. I don't think they're bad guitars (although I'm still have yet to play an actual Gibson Les Paul I enjoyed the feel of), I think too much money is being paid for the name alone. In fact, they just got quite a bit more expensive recently too.

That being said though, I did find a real nice Gibson SG that I liked, and not terribly expensive (will be picking up this weekend). Even better, I managed to lock the deal in before the price went up, so now I'm saving double what I would have saved had the price stayed the same.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
first off, different people like different things.

for instance, i like a shorter neck, i like a thicker tone, i like a stop tail piece.

i also like humbuckers.

so i opted for a Gibson Les Paul Standard, played quite a few of them until i found one that i really liked and bought that one. i've played PRS and i like those too but they certainly don't sound like a Les Paul and since i love the sound a Les Paul will give me, i go for it.

they're not overrated...depending on your point of view and personal preference of course. i wouldn't mind if they went down in price a bit though.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
First of all the les pauls as we know them today are totally different of the les pauls Les Paul designed.
Second, there is a big difference between artists designing their instuments and using a brand to build their design, or endorsees who have a sig guitar with a brand.

For example. The Jackson RR is a guitar designed by Randy and Jackson. But the Rhoads sig was the Gibson polka dot flying V.
Les Paul didnt have any sig guitars with gibson, he just let them made his idea of a guitar.
Look: to prove it to you: Les' sig would be a very very very very very modded kind of les paul. Not just a lp std for example. So you really cant call the Gibson LP a signature guitar.

Third: A signature guitar is always the same. e.g. the slash sig is always the same: Killswitch, 2Vol 2 tone, APH-1 pups, AAA MFT.
But the LP comes in a whole lot of versions: Studio, classic, std, BFG, custom, menace, etc etc. So thats another reason why its not a sig

Fourth: a sig is a sig. That means, a sig guitar cannot be sigged by another artist. That would be moronic. But the LP slash sig does exist, and the jimmy page, ...

Conclusion: the LP is DEFINATLY NOT a sig guitar.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by Waterboy799
first off, different people like different things.

for instance, i like a shorter neck, i like a thicker tone, i like a stop tail piece.

i also like humbuckers.

so i opted for a Gibson Les Paul Standard, played quite a few of them until i found one that i really liked and bought that one. i've played PRS and i like those too but they certainly don't sound like a Les Paul and since i love the sound a Les Paul will give me, i go for it.

they're not overrated...depending on your point of view and personal preference of course. i wouldn't mind if they went down in price a bit though.

A great big benefit of owning a Fender or Gibson main-line guitar is that they'll never be seen as gimmicky. An LP or a Strat will never be a joke of the music community and you'll always be able to sound 'modern'.