okay, so I know the steps of the major scale, the minor scale and the pentatonic. i don't know where to go from here. i can form scales all over the neck and practice them but ive been doing this for ages now and i feel it's not getting me anywhere at all. ive been practicing different scales everywhere and im still slow at naming the names and figuring out what scale i'm in. what do i do? should i just keep learning the shapes, i already know the formulas of scales but i just cannot seem to improvise. im not sure how to. please help. sorry for the muddled post, when my heads clear ill try to reword what ive written or make a new thread or something. thanks for any help you guys can offer
You are like a hurricane
There's calm in your eye.
And I'm gettin' blown away
To somewhere safer
where the feeling stays.
I want to love you but
I'm getting blown away.
Just practice by learning a lot of songs you like. Maybe something challenging for you with difficult/fast solos etc, so you can become better.
Quote by Poglia
Just practice by learning a lot of songs you like. Maybe something challenging for you with difficult/fast solos etc, so you can become better.

Okay thanks, I'll try that but I also wanna focus on theory and I really have no idea what to learn.
You are like a hurricane
To somewhere safer
where the feeling stays.
I want to love you but
I'm getting blown away.
theres nothing more fulfilling than creating your own stuff

whether it be a symphony or a simple lick, a simple lick which you may not be able to expand on now, but later on when creating something else there will always be that 'lost lick' which you maybe able to find a place for

listening to different types of styles of music within a particular genre always helps
Stop practicing the scales and stop spamming your head with too much informationm. Instead focus on one scale at a time and learn how to use it, explore the sounds of it and play around with creating melodies from it. Scales aren't really for playing, they're simply a tool that you use to create music from.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Stop practicing the scales and stop spamming your head with too much informationm. Instead focus on one scale at a time and learn how to use it, explore the sounds of it and play around with creating melodies from it. Scales aren't really for playing, they're simply a tool that you use to create music from.

Okay, I'll focus on the Major Scale for now then.
You are like a hurricane
To somewhere safer
where the feeling stays.
I want to love you but
I'm getting blown away.
Well now I've learnt the major scale all up and down the fretboard and now have no idea what to do. I know all the shapes and the formula etc, what should I learn now?
You are like a hurricane
To somewhere safer
where the feeling stays.
I want to love you but
I'm getting blown away.
do this. forget everything you know. put on some sort of music and try to solo without thinking about what key its in or what scale to use. just try and make it sound like a good solo using melody, but do it without using any scale.
Quote by estranged_g_n_r
Okay thanks, I'll try that but I also wanna focus on theory and I really have no idea what to learn.

Yes but theory needs context to sink in and have meaning. When you learn other peoples songs you see the theory applied first hand. Try analizing songs that you are playing. Determine the key or keys and what scales seem to be used for the leads/melodys etc. I do this and it really helps me see first hand how the theory ive learned is applied. You could practice improvising in a similar way by determining the key and trying to improvise your own solo. If you get stuck learn a few licks from the original solo and mix them in and keep messing around untill you start to feel how to apply the scale to the song. You can learn/apply theory while playing music at the same time which is fun and helps it become usefull faster.
Quote by estranged_g_n_r
Well now I've learnt the major scale all up and down the fretboard and now have no idea what to do. I know all the shapes and the formula etc, what should I learn now?

Like I said, start USING the scale as opposed to simply playing it - this isn't an overnight thing, it's not a tab you can learn. You have to spend time working with the scale and getting to know the sounds, how the intervals work and how the notes interact with the underlying chords. There's no tabs or lessons to help you here, this is something you have to work out for yourself from the basic knowledge you've already accumulated. Learning a scale is pretty worthless until you start learning how to apply that knowledge.

And no, you're not going to do it in half an hour, or a day, or even a week...it's an ongoing process that never actually ends, but in practical terms it should take you a couple of months for it to start to sink in and for you to start getting a feel for the scale.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I want to ask a question of my own: is it better to master one position of a scale first and then move on to other positions? I ask because there are things you can do from some positions that you can't do from others. I just got back into trying to solo. I tried before but got frustrated (I would often be soloing in a different key than the guitarist from the song I was listening to) but I'm back into it and liking it this time. I learned enough the first time around to understand enough about all the scales, modes, etc. to be functional but I need to memorize the feel/sound of the different degrees of the scale.
Quote by JHogg11
I want to ask a question of my own: is it better to master one position of a scale first and then move on to other positions?

It depends. You can go that way of you want and there's nothing wrong with it.
There's even some positions nicknamed after some blues guys because they
used them so frequently.

But, utlimately your practicing should be about removing limitations. Being confined
to 1 position can be a limitation. Transcending finger positions would ultimately
free you of that.

Also, there ARE ways to practice scales that can directly help with your improvisation.
I've already mentioned this a number of times, so I won't detail it here -- you'll
have to search my older posts. Using them is important too, but there's definitely
practice approaches that absolutely work too.
Let me add, to anyone that might be reading this, something that has been very beneficial thus far in helping me learn how scales work. Below are the two basic shapes of the minor pentatonic (the same can be done for any scale). Let me say first that these are based on a separation of 5 semitones between each string. Obviously if you are jumping across the G and B strings, you have to make an adjustment since there is a separation of 4 semitones. If you don't understand that, read the link below. If you know the notes on your guitar and know these shapes, you have a good starting point for learning to solo in my opinion.

Number indicates degree within minor scale.

7X1
4X5
1XX3

1XX3
5XX7
X3X4
X7X1

http://www.fretmeup.com/lessons/showthread.php?t=21

There's a lot of good information in that link, more practical than anything else I've seen.
Quote by steven seagull
You have to spend time working with the scale and getting to know the sounds, how the intervals work and how the notes interact with the underlying chords.

Okay, well I guess I should work on that then, forming chords from scales because can't do that yet
You are like a hurricane
To somewhere safer
where the feeling stays.
I want to love you but
I'm getting blown away.