Page 1 of 4
Hopefully nobody minds me starting this jam off.

Download "UG Jam6 BT A" from here- (thanks EDG)
http://edg.dmusic.com/music/

Using whatever equipment is available to you, record yourself jamming over the track and send it to ug-jams@hotmail.co.uk (yes that is .co.uk)

Usual rules (or lack of) apply, just get your Dorian licks going and your all set!

I think the track goes something like this-

| Am | Bm | Am | Bm | C - Bm | Am |C Bm | E7 |

So you are basically good if you use A dorian all except the last arpeggio over E7 which cries out for the harmonic minors maj7, although it probably wont matter if you use A Dorian / Am Penta throughout.
Try out some different possibilities!

ROCK ON
Last edited by branny1982 at Sep 17, 2008,
Im not participating, but just a question, why would E7, in A Dorian, scream more A Harmonic Minor, than A Melodic Minor?
I haven't done this before, do I just send one track of me doing my thing or do I mixdown my part with the backing track and send that? I assume mp3 format?
Si
this jam will hopefully include the mind and works of Archeo Avis a la keyboard!

All I need to do is pick up an audio cable. I'll download the backing track tonight and start working on a solo.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Sweet backing track. If I can find a decent recording setup, I might just submit my debut to the UG Jams. If not, I'm sure you all will do a good job with it!
Quote by 20Tigers
I haven't done this before, do I just send one track of me doing my thing or do I mixdown my part with the backing track and send that? I assume mp3 format?

record your guitar over the backing track and submit it that way your timing is how you intended it to be
song stuck in my head today

Hopefully I'll have time to do it and I'll be purchasing a good quality mic soon. Can't record line in with the new amp.
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
aw, i've always hated this track. I'll sit this one out. I won't have my recording gear before then anyway :/
Thats cool about the Harmonic Minor over E7, it just seems that with letting the Dorian tonality fall over becuse of the F Natural, anyway, Ill shut up now, and let you guys have your jams.
Quote by one vision
Mixing entitles... what? Would the person actually have to do any quality-related work? Fixing, etc?

mixing is basically taking all of the .mp3's and editing them into 1 big long track. It is usually done on Audacity, but i don't have it so it is usually done by the first volunteer.

Quote by tigger

yes, you need to record a track with your solo AND the BT.... if this is a problem, then we can easily overcome it if you send me your solo, i can easily mix it with the BT and submit it.

Quote by guitarmunky
Cool, I think I'll get in on this 1

just for everybodies benefit, Dan doesn't do things by halves and last time totally recreated the entire track... just so everybody knows he may do it again... NO COMPLAINTS this time!

Quote by bluesrocker
Hopefully I'll have time to do it and I'll be purchasing a good quality mic soon. Can't record line in with the new amp.

Hope you make it, yours was excellent last time, i think the Moderators should be mandatory entries.... this means you Pcycho and Freepower!

Quote by Galvanise
Thats cool about the Harmonic Minor over E7, it just seems that with letting the Dorian tonality fall over becuse of the F Natural, anyway, Ill shut up now, and let you guys have your jams.

I think you were quite right in what you were saying, but i only mentioned the major 7th which is present in both scales.
Quote by Archeo Avis
All I need to do is pick up an audio cable. I'll download the backing track tonight and start working on a solo.

Shite... I've got competition :O

Anyways, seriously cool backing track. Very laid back.
Last edited by pandora_grunt at Sep 17, 2008,
Quote by branny1982

just for everybodies benefit, Dan doesn't do things by halves and last time totally recreated the entire track... just so everybody knows he may do it again... NO COMPLAINTS this time!

Thanks,

yeah I had a bit of fun with this 1 as well. Its a 1 take solo to keep in the improvisation spirit, but I did it on my synth guitar, and changed some patches to keep it interesting. I did make a BT as well, that way I could add an arrangement element to it which is fun for me. I hope it doesn't offend anyone as Im just interested in making something that I can dig listening to, in hopes that some of you will dig it to. Looking forward to hearing all your takes !
shred is gaudy music
Quote by ouchies
I think the BT is waaay too busy..

I agree. I do like the overall feel of the track, but it makes the rhythm so prominent that it gets in the way of the solo.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
yeah I felt the same. I liked the idea alot, but like you said the rhythm track is very prominent and doesnt leave enough space for the soloist. No offense intended edg, the idea is great. Its really more of a mix thing.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Sep 19, 2008,
Quote by one vision
Where can I find those? On your site?

My improvisation practice has been stale lately, I always go to jamstudio.com and I'm usually too lazy to customize the settings.

You mean where can you find BT's?

Guitar BT
Guitar jammers

2 good places
shred is gaudy music
Opinions noted.

I was playing around and learning my new Alberton Live recording toy. I added
some ping-pong delay to the secondary rhythm over the ending E7 in order to
build it up. Maybe that's what's bothering?

Anyway, I wanted a good solo take. I tried another rhythm to experiment
and I liked the way it sounded so I left it in.
I put up another version without the rhythm (A). TBH, I still like the 1st one. Plus,
another two solo takes( B and C ). Alberton Live is fun. I did a few record takes on
the solo and then just "jammed" with tracks to make different versions. It took
like all of 5 minutes . A cool program although, as I'm finding out, the "Lite" version
that comes with the Korg Pandora is pretty much crippleware. It's got lots of limits
and locks on features.
OK, what does everybody suggest we do here?

I thought the track was ok, perhaps too long.... but that is more due to my incapability to record something good!

Are we going to stick to the track? Or does somebody want to use the chord progression of the BT and create a simpler version? This worked well last time when EDG simplified Archeons BT.

Ideas?
Quote by branny1982
OK, what does everybody suggest we do here?

I thought the track was ok, perhaps too long.... but that is more due to my incapability to record something good!

Are we going to stick to the track? Or does somebody want to use the chord progression of the BT and create a simpler version? This worked well last time when EDG simplified Archeons BT.

Ideas?

We could have it so everyone has the choice of using the original BT, make their own, or use an alternative BT from someone involved in the jam. All BT's should conform to the same tempo (120) and same chord progression. That way it stays in the spirit of the community jam, will flow together well from track to track, and allows for individual creativity.

As far as length, edg already did his, and I did mine as well, so It would be nice to keep it the same. * If you did a shorter one though, it shouldn't really matter so long as its the same chord progression& tempo. Also, Im not against cutting mine short.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Sep 20, 2008,
Page 1 of 4