I have been playing for years but ive never really got into pedals. I play mainly metal, through my Randall RX120 120w SS amp, and ive always thought the distortion on it was allright.

Anyway will i benefit from a distortion pedal at all? How will it sound compared to the distortion in my amp? Also with a dist pedal, do u rock the amp on clean or dirty?
RG's & Mesa's
If you like the distortion on your amp, don't get a pedal, it won't sound as good. Oh wait did you say solid state amp, in that case i don't know, i'd have to hear said amp and pedal, be your own judge i guess.

Tube amp distortion>pedal distortion
I did not get my Spaghetti-O's, I got spaghetti. I want the press to know this.
Executed by injection, Oklahoma.
~~ Thomas J. Grasso, d. March 20, 1995.

Lyrics/Poetry

Fires Burning
I'm not sure how well your amp takes pedals and if it sounds good enough already.But I don't run pedals on my dist channel,makes if fizzy and ****.
Any way pedals are good to give you a volume bosst in solos.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
The distortion on it should be plenty really.

I dont think you'd benefit at all from a distortion or boost due to the amp being solid state, if you are happy with what you've got, keep it, dont let people here try and push you into a new amp, especially since SS randalls are good for what they do

EDIT: spelling
Dude do what I do anytime I wonder about things like that - drag your axe & amp into a music store and try a few... its failproof