Page 1 of 3
Back 2 years ago, when I still had philosophy at school I always tried to quote punksongs in my homework, because I was bored of it. For example I quoted a German "Beer Oi" band without mentioning their name really and my teacher loved it.

So my intention is to collect some sentences from songs by punkbands which can be quoted as if it was said by Socrates (Because when you quote him or any of his colleagues at school you´re always right). But it has to be rather short sentences or just nice expressions.

(The first one who makes the "Gave you love, gave you heart" - joke will have to mow my lawn.)

I´ll start with soem sentences I never quoted there, but about which I thought about to use:

"Sometimes good guys don´t wear white" - Minor Threat
"Look at things long enough until they go away" - Descendents
"Jesus was a comunist" - Reagan Youth
I think an obvious one should be:
"Jesus died for somebody's sins but not mine" ~ Patti Smith

I'll post more later after class.
DOWN&OUT
Good Guys Don't Wear White was a cover I believe, just for the record.

Minutemen would have tons of good quotes, though nothing comes immediately to mind.
Quote by opivy21
Good Guys Don't Wear White was a cover I believe

Yeah, it was.

"People are not expendable, government is."
They say the old woman's got the wisdom
'Cause she couldn't read the clock anymore
She said "The numbers don't represent the moments"
Says she don't see what all the ticking's for
"No one said that life was easy. Did that no one ever live a life this hard?" -Jawbreaker (Ashtray Monument)

"Some things ain't like the weather. They're never gonna change for the better." -Rancid (Rats in the Hallway)

"To resist despair in this world is what it is to be free." -Operation Ivy (Sound System)

"Tensions in our lives that are destroying our minds unite themselves together to make our consciousness blind. Conditioned to self-interest with emotions locked away; if that's what they call normal, then I'd rather be insane." -Op Ivy (Here We Go Again)

Operation Ivy is endlessly quotable. I could put a line or two from every single one of their songs on here.

I'll post more stuff later...
I'm the type of nigga that's built to last
If you fuck with me, I'll put my foot in your ass
See, I don't give a fuck cause I keep bailin
Yo, what the fuck are they yellin?!

GANGSTA, GANGSTA
I was going to use "You can turn a phrase until it reads a million ways" as my quote in the yearbook, but I never turned it in.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Sorry Jett, but I f*cking hate Patti Smith.

She's a f*cking pretentious MAN.

anyways, I'll go with the old classic;

"we don't wanna fight, because you tell us to, so watch your back when you attack 'cause we might just turn on you!"
You're not punk and I'm telling everyone...

>>
<<
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
Quote by JesusOfSbrbia
Operation Ivy is endlessly quotable. I could put a line or two from every single one of their songs on here.

Agreed.

"Jesus died for his own sins, not mine." - Crass

Yes Sir, I Will (minus the "If there was no government..." part)

"What of the people who don't have what I have? Are they victims of my leisure?"- Minutemen

"It's not enough that you've succeeded, because you'll never feel successful until all your friends fail." - Lemuria

"Those who decide what everyone will do grow rich because the decisions are made in their interest.They are pleased at how well they rule the others. The others smile too, thinking that their rulers know best."
I don't know if they ripped this off some philosopher or wrote it themselves, but that quote appears on the back of Gang of Four's Entertainment!, and it is very p0nx.

"If men are only blood and iron, oh doctor, doctor what's in my shirt?" - moar Gang of Four

"I belong to the _____ generation, but I can take it or leave it each time." - Richard Hell, of course. (this shall be my yearbook quote, because I'm cooler than Collin [also because lines about killing cops probably wouldn't go over well].)

"People kill me these days. There's keys in their eyes but they lock from the inside." - Jawbreaker
Quote by StreetLight3989
You're not punk and I'm telling everyone...

>>
<<

Sorry Matt, that's not deep or philosophical or thought provoking in any way. Way to FAIL.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Sorry Jett, but I f*cking hate Patti Smith.

She's a f*cking pretentious MAN.

anyways, I'll go with the old classic;

"we don't wanna fight, because you tell us to, so watch your back when you attack 'cause we might just turn on you!"

Yeah, she's totally self-absorbed. Denying that would be flat out ignorant, but I love her music and poetry. I don't have to hang out with her, so what do I care, y'know? I really dig her band and how dynamic they are, and I totally dig her voice and the way she handled herself on stage. So whatevzz.

EDIT: I'd like to add another quote:

"There's something wrong here when the best ones want to go" ~ Richard Hell, Don't Die. He's pretty damn quotable in general.
DOWN&OUT
Last edited by Jett Diamond at Sep 16, 2008,
Quote by Jett Diamond
Yeah, she's totally self-absorbed. Denying that would be flat out ignorant, but I love her music and poetry. I don't have to hang out with her, so what do I care, y'know? I really dig her band and how dynamic they are, and I totally dig her voice and the way she handled herself on stage. So whatevzz.

Fair do's.

I agree with John Lydon, when he said "Horses? Horse SH*T!"
Well if we're gonna ding people for being pretentious and self-absorbed, I don't think Mr. Lydon has room to speak, haha. Besides, he'll bad mouth anyone, including his favorite bands.
DOWN&OUT
Most Fifteen songs:

"Lately it occured to me, how does a mother tell her children their dad got killed by the police" - Fifteen (Stolen Life)

"I get on my knees and I thank God today, for not making me a rich man. I get on my knees and I thank God today, for not making me a politician. I get on my knees and I thank God today, because I'm the envy of no one" - Fifteen (Greed)

"You got your eyes on me when I'm in your store because you know I've got to steal just to eat. But your boss don't pay you shit, you're one check away from being homeless just like me." - Fifteen (We Will Win)

"My enemy is not a heroin junkie. My enemy is not a speed freak. My enemy is not a skid row alcoholic. My enemy does not sleep on the street" - Fifteen (War On Drugs)
Edwards Les Paul Custom
Burny SG Junior
DIY Telecaster
Keeley RAT 2
Marshall JCM 800 4104
Quote by Jett Diamond
Well if we're gonna ding people for being pretentious and self-absorbed, I don't think Mr. Lydon has room to speak, haha. Besides, he'll bad mouth anyone, including his favorite bands.

Yeah, really.
Is this class war? Is this class war? Yes this is class war. -propagandhi cant remember the song right now.

The united states is an empire built with the blood and exploitation of third world countries, Using puppet dictatorships and organizations like the IMF and WTO. The US imposes policy's that only benefit the elite within his own border leaving the rest of the hemisphere to perish in misery.
Are you at peace with your priviledge?
- La armada.

I am the non creator, for man created his own lord- Clutches by Nausea.

''as capitalism puts the poor to the floor the rich rise up again and again to conquer once more''
-as their pockets grow fatter (by Expendable youth)
and this from the same song

Can you feel the sun burning?
Can you feel the tides clashing?
"Look out honey, 'cause I'm using technology"
Brian Eno fans unite!

Quote by BrianApocalypse
I recently had a dream that my dad died and my mum spent the life insurance payout on a new Indian dad, who told me to convert to Judaism, even though people usually change religion in September.
Quote by element4433
I was going to use "You can turn a phrase until it reads a million ways" as my quote in the yearbook, but I never turned it in.

My senior quote was from a TSOL song, but I can't remember exactly which one. I think it was "America, Land of the Free... free to the power of the people in uniform"
I just noticed how the title of this thread turned "Punk song" into a compound word.
Quote by neidnarb11890
Sorry Matt, that's not deep or philosophical or thought provoking in any way. Way to FAIL.

I know, I was just joking.
"I’m not coming out of the shower
It’s such a comfortable crutch
It’s a warm loving womb, and intoxicating tomb
And I don’t miss the outside world that much"

I enjoy showers.
"sickness praised in times of need
we waste away from hands of greed"
Heroin or Suicide - Leftover Crack
Dick+strings= owww
I try to close my eyes
But I cannot ignore the stimuli
If there's a purpose for us all it remains a secret to me
Don't ask me to justify my life

Struck a Nerve by Bad Religion
"I kill everything I fuck."
My style is impetuous.
My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious.
I want your heart.
I want to eat your children.

-Mike Tyson
Quote by Iluvpowerchords
"I’m not coming out of the shower
It’s such a comfortable crutch
It’s a warm loving womb, and intoxicating tomb
And I don’t miss the outside world that much"

I enjoy showers.
I've always loved that part.

My favorite Ergs lyrics were always "I could write you the perfect song and you could sings along, yeah you could sing along."
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
"It's been sometime, and I don't know what to do with this stupid life, because you're somewhere and I'm nowhere, and I swear that I need you here"

I really like that line.
Real quick question. Are we still following these guidelines?
Quote by lavazza

So my intention is to collect some sentences from songs by punkbands which can be quoted as if it was said by Socrates (Because when you quote him or any of his colleagues at school you´re always right). But it has to be rather short sentences or just nice expressions.

Because the post right above me doesn't seem to fit into the category of Socratic quote
They're just right wing pigeons from outer space
Sent here to destroy the human race
They don't give a damn about you or me
They just buy guns and watch TV
Let's go!
-Right Wing Pigeon by The Dead Milkmen
its about Sarah Palin
>.>
Dick+strings= owww
Quote by Greenfinger182

Because the post right above me doesn't seem to fit into the catagory of Socratic quote :p

, well, uh....

>>
<<
"America stands for freedom, but if you think you're free,
try walking into a deli, and urinating on the cheese!"

"Some may call it child abuse, I just call it bonding with your dad"

big vandals fan
You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not
...or the one below my post haha.

They're guidelines, not rules, so I thought punxs could obey and still keep their street cred. Then again, those first four words made me sound like some sort of commie.
Just a track title from The Fartz "Heroes cum home in boxes"

"The Refugees are only our leaders scapegoats" - Aus Rotten

Quote by BrianApocalypse

Great song. Shit lyrics.

Quote by Greenfinger182
I just noticed how the title of this thread turned "Punk song" into a compound word.

Genious I am. Think about it.

Quote by Greenfinger182

It´s ok....we also have lots of Jesus quotes and I don´t think Socrated ever said Jesus
But wait a minute dad, did you actually say freedom?
Well, if you're dumb enough to vote,
You're ****in dumb enough to believe him.
Cuz if this country is so goddam free,
Then I can burn your ****ing flag wherever I damn well please.

Stick The Flag Up Your Ass - Propagandhi

Covered in leather, or plaid patches, or metal studs
Your hair is dyed or spiked with glue
You only talk to those who look and act the way you do
Cause you think you're so ****in' cool

Punk By The Book - Anti-flag

ya have that special something that "sprite in you appeal"
ya think that we all love you but this is how you make us feel
yer sweaty, ****in ignorant A product of conditioning
eugenics, social darwinisim, an excuse for yer positioning
yer crass & evil ways are all that got you there today
i hope you get shot, and this is what we say

Nazi White Trash - Leftover Crack
Everything that I see/ Theres no future for me
Everything that I read/ Theres no future for me

No future advertised/ No future merchandised

You cant change the future unless you change yourself
Its what you buy not what they sell

No Future - Anti-Flag, or pretty much the whole song

The herd marches in to work/
In black and white uniform/
Dressed for their funeral/
Nine to five viewing and burial

There must be more to this life/
We must be worth more than our work/
Who you are your job wont define/
Another victim of the daily grind

Corporate Rock Still Sucks - Anti-Flag

"Watch the towers rise up and watch the people fall" No Borders, No Nations - Anti-Flag

Put us in your pumpkin shell where you keep us very well/ Its hell where I dwell
When history books are full of shit I become the anarchist/ Im pissed at this
What this country claims to be/ Its a lie no place for me/ I bleed

Johnny, Kick A Hole In the Sky - Red Hot Chili Peppers

And all of Grains of Wrath by Bad Religion
Last edited by PenFighter19 at Sep 17, 2008,
This band is not exactly punk, but I've always loved these lines:

"Buy me a shiny new machine that runs on lies and gasoline, and all those batteries we stole from smoke alarms, and disassemble my despair. It never took me anywhere. It never once bought me a drink." -The Weakerthans (Reconstruction Site)
I'm the type of nigga that's built to last
If you fuck with me, I'll put my foot in your ass
See, I don't give a fuck cause I keep bailin
Yo, what the fuck are they yellin?!

GANGSTA, GANGSTA
Page 1 of 3