Poll: What AMP?
Poll Options
View poll results: What AMP?
Roland MICROCUBE
8 40%
Roland Cube x20
12 60%
OTHER (but i m quite sure about one of them)
0 0%
Voters: 20.
Hi again.New pool! I need an advice,i m gonna buy a new amp and i cant decide between these two little jewels...I need a nice amp with a low cost,but also with nice effects....i d use it to play mainly at home,but there s a chance to join a band sooner or later..A friend said that the microcube is pretty cool,but it sounds crappy even playing at home...and a 20 cube 'd be better to play wither at home and in some kind of band....the question is:can a cube 20 be adapt to play(for fun) in a small band?does he worth the money? (here,a 20cube is 150€ more or less,a mMC 70&euro

In addition,i ve seen the specs of cube 20,and the impression is that there are too many "metal effects" (metal stack,metal,distortion,overdrive),so,if the 20 is not that good to play in a band,and i should use it just at home,i think it s better the microcube which let you play also acoustic effects (jc cleans,panel etc)

What do u think
i have a microcube, it's great. the quality is good, the amp is cheap and you get quite an array of effects. Hope it helped
I think from the distortion settings on the cube 20 you actually mean a cube 15x which is a good amp for practice but i usually use a Boss ds-2 Turbo Distortion Pedal. The actual cube 20 has many more features including distortion, reverb, tremlo, chorus, delay, and flanger effects. the micro cube sounds good but you will never get enough volume out of it to play in a band.
I own a micro cube and It's imo maybe even more versatile than my Vox AD50VT. Therefore being the most versatile amp I've played ;D And it sounds awesome even on low volumes but when truly cranked to 11 it won't sound awesome since it's a bit too much to the small speaker element. However micro cube IS the ultimate bedroom amp.

I've also tried other cube series amps and they (exept the bigger ones like C60) feature a much more narrowed variety of channels which does not please me since versatility is the nr.1 advantage of cubes. The higher volume C20 produces isn't imo worth it since the lack of diversity in sounds.

Micro cube isn't really designed for playing with band but I don't think a cube 20 would handle it any better. However if your band uses some sort of PA trough a mixer you could use your MC as a sort of a preamp - that's what I do with my other band's practices since my bigger amp is usually at my other bands lair. And you even can outlevel your drummer with the bare cube if he isn't the hardest batterer. Still small cubes models are not suggested for playing with a band, maybe for a small jam.

I vote for micro cube! imo it wouldn't hurt any guitarist to have one as a home amp. But you'll have to get a bigger one once you get more serious with a band.
i'd go with the micro if you're only playing at home, it has more amp models. however, if you can stretch to the cube 30, that'd make it a much harder decision as it has the models the micro has, plus more wattage and a bigger speaker.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by zach516
I think from the distortion settings on the cube 20 you actually mean a cube 15x which is a good amp for practice but i usually use a Boss ds-2 Turbo Distortion Pedal. The actual cube 20 has many more features including distortion, reverb, tremlo, chorus, delay, and flanger effects. the micro cube sounds good but you will never get enough volume out of it to play in a band.

http://img133.imageshack.us/my.php?image=cube20zc2.jpg
That s the amp I meant As taatelikoira said,the metal channel is predominant,and even if i m a metal player,a bit more of variety would be better
Micro cube isn't really designed for playing with band but I don't think a cube 20 would handle it any better. However if your band uses some sort of PA trough a mixer you could use your MC as a sort of a preamp - that's what I do with my other band's practices since my bigger amp is usually at my other bands lair. And you even can outlevel your drummer with the bare cube if he isn't the hardest batterer. Still small cubes models are not suggested for playing with a band, maybe for a small jam.
Unfortunately,none of us has a mixer,or something to turn the micro into a preamp,so the problem of the amp to use in case of joining a band remains xD

Well,I'd buy a cube 20x only if it was the right choice to play in a Band,that s all U say it isn t,let s see other comments XDD
Last edited by ZaÐ at Sep 16, 2008,
Stretch to a cube 30, it has more effects than the 15 or 20. (You stated you wanted them). Or get the Microcube now for bedroom use, and get a gig'ble amp when the need comes.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I love my Microcube. It takes up so little room, but at 2w you will never really compete if you use it with other guitars/drums.
Quote by gregs1020
Stretch to a cube 30, it has more effects than the 15 or 20. (You stated you wanted them). Or get the Microcube now for bedroom use, and get a gig'ble amp when the need comes.

is it worth stretching from the cube 30 to the 60? i was thinking of gettin the 60 but dunno if its gonna be much better than the 30, and the only 1 i can try out is the 30 as the stores near me dont stock the 60.
There's no point fearing death, as it is inevitably going to happen

ESP Ltd H-302
Jackson KE3 (for sale)
Schecter Blackhawk
Roland Cube 60
^ craig, at that price, $400 there are better amps used for most genres. Sorry to get hijacked TS.

TS - I do agree that a Microcube won't be gig'ble without mic'ing it. (Argh the thought...) But the 30 would hold up in a basement jam practice situation and could be mic'd for a gig.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020

Well,that s the only solution....maybe a micro now and maybe a 30/60 then?