I played on one in a music shop a while back, pretty sweet amp of i recall correctly...

6 band equaliser, Cd line in and all the other stuff blah blah..... to be honest you not gonna be getting much better at that price. What will it be used for? is your brother in band or is he just playin by himself?
Once you hit the 100 Watts level, Kustom amps are solid. For that price its a decent deal. They're a bit transparent but that may be what you or your brother are looking for. The onboard effects are OK, but I am more of stomp pedal person myself.

Now my question is, is this for gigging? Because 100 W is going to barely get you the level you need playing against a drummer.
Quote by anarkee
Once you hit the 100 Watts level, Kustom amps are solid. For that price its a decent deal. They're a bit transparent but that may be what you or your brother are looking for. The onboard effects are OK, but I am more of stomp pedal person myself.

Now my question is, is this for gigging? Because 100 W is going to barely get you the level you need playing against a drummer.

you need more than 100 w for practicing?

Amp size doesn't really matter in Montreal for gigging, cause they all have PA systems.

Quote by jimmy_neutron
I played on one in a music shop a while back, pretty sweet amp of i recall correctly...

6 band equaliser, Cd line in and all the other stuff blah blah..... to be honest you not gonna be getting much better at that price. What will it be used for? is your brother in band or is he just playin by himself?

Yeah gigging, he's in my band.

It's for a punk / grunge band, so I guess the guitar and drums will also be pretty loud

the only other amp I saw for him within my budget was the Behringer BX1800, but i heard they're absolutely horrible.
Quote by Swap-Meet
you need more than 100 w for practicing?

Amp size doesn't really matter in Montreal for gigging, cause they all have PA systems.

Yeah gigging, he's in my band.

It's for a punk / grunge band, so I guess the guitar and drums will also be pretty loud

the only other amp I saw for him within my budget was the Behringer BX1800, but i heard they're absolutely horrible.

Good call on the Behringer. The Kustom is probably packing more power.

And 100W may not be enough for practise. While guitars can turn their amps down (or you can do it for them), drums cannot, and aggressive drummers only keep playing gently for so long.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
How big a room is your brother practising hundred watts is deffently enough for practise even with a heavy drummer. And it will work fine if your running it through a pa.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by gm jack
Good call on the Behringer. The Kustom is probably packing more power.

And 100W may not be enough for practise. While guitars can turn their amps down (or you can do it for them), drums cannot, and aggressive drummers only keep playing gently for so long.

Damn...Any decent inexpensive amps that I should keep an eye out for?

I'm buying both me and my brother an amp, my amp is gonna come out to a little under 250$ after taxes, I really don't wanna have to spend much more than that on his....300 would be really pushing it.
Quote by fatgoogle
How big a room is your brother practising hundred watts is deffently enough for practise even with a heavy drummer. And it will work fine if your running it through a pa.

I have 150W and some drummer I have played with have been struggling to hear me. Just because you can hear yourself doesn't mean a drummer can hear you.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
look out for ashdown MAG's, the MAG300 combos have about 180w so that would probs be better if you could afford it
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Quote by sonsie
look out for ashdown MAG's, the MAG300 combos have about 180w so that would probs be better if you could afford it

Without an extension cab, I find the Warwick Sweet 15 can pump out more volume despite a lower wattage rating. However, those go at about £275, so that's around $500. The MAG is even more.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by Swap-Meet
Also 200 watt amps may be a bit too heavy to bring to band practice...

TBH, If you really want to be heard, you might have to sacrifice on the weight. If your band mates are nice enough they will help you. In the begining of playing with my band I first had a Ampeg BA210SP and that thing was heavy, but It still wasn't loud enough. So now, I have a SWR Working Pro 4 Head with a SWR 1x12 Cab. It's definitely worth it lugging it around just to be heard! Honestly, It was awesome to hear my band mates tell me to turn down, instead of turn up when the BA210 was at 10...

Hopefully that can help a bit...
Quote by fatgoogle

This post leads me to either believe that you dont play with people at all, your turning your amp up to distortion, or your trying to make him waste his money.

Which is it?
Quote by randomhero65
TBH, If you really want to be heard, you might have to sacrifice on the weight. If your band mates are nice enough they will help you. In the begining of playing with my band I first had a Ampeg BA210SP and that thing was heavy, but It still wasn't loud enough. So now, I have a SWR Working Pro 4 Head with a SWR 1x12 Cab. It's definitely worth it lugging it around just to be heard! Honestly, It was awesome to hear my band mates tell me to turn down, instead of turn up when the BA210 was at 10...

Hopefully that can help a bit...

welll, I'll have my 50 wat amp to carry, and my brother will have his...and the drummer that may be joining our band lives about a 45 minute bus ride away, so it's not fair for him to come down just to help out with an amp...

also, my other drummer friend told me that when he was in a band on drums, his bassist had a 50 wat amp, and it was loud enough. (Death metal band)
i had a 400 watt yorkville bass amp with a 4x10 cab and it could just barely keep up with a mic'd drummer and 2 peavey 5150's

pre was at 8 and master was at 10.

depending on how loud you guys play, 100 watts will be a tough amp to practice with.

i remember my friends ampeg bass amp.. its the combo one with the 15" speaker, i can't remember if it was 100 or 200 watts.. but you could NEVER hear that thing. i think it was the BA series
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by Kivarenn82
i had a 400 watt yorkville bass amp with a 4x10 cab and it could just barely keep up with a mic'd drummer and 2 peavey 5150's

pre was at 8 and master was at 10.

depending on how loud you guys play, 100 watts will be a tough amp to practice with.

i remember my friends ampeg bass amp.. its the combo one with the 15" speaker, i can't remember if it was 100 or 200 watts.. but you could NEVER hear that thing. i think it was the BA series

Well, the amp I'll be using is a Crate V-50 (50 wat all tube), and our drummer will not be mic'd...