Page 1 of 2
Recently i've been noticing guitar tone more than before, as im always trying to build upon my own, and i've noticed that the bands we love to hate like MCR, panic at the disco, fall-out-boy hav some real nice guitar sounds in some of their songs, often better than the big metal bands we admire their guitar work for.
I just wish it could be the other way round
It sounds to me like your musical/tonal taste is changing.

Why exactly did you start this thread?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I wish that too. The reason for it probably is they are all signed to Major Record labels that have top quality recording equipment. They have the most money to spend on great recordings.
"In the name of God, impure souls of the living dead shall be banished into eternal damnation. Amen"

Hellsing Organization

Quote by gregs1020
It sounds to me like your musical/tonal taste is changing.

Why exactly did you start this thread?

Im definatly not changing my tastes, i hate those bands with a passion (sorry fans)... i was just wondering if anyone else thought the same, and why it was...
Decapitated have a godly guitar tone
Hoping that's on topic because I'm really not sure what's going on here
ohai little sig.
Look at it this way.... Fall out boy has a giant record label backing them to be able to pay for awesome gear. Poor death metal bands have to work at Taco Bell to buy their gear.

Also, Fall out boy have the label to be able to pay for high end producers to make their albums sound good and show them what the gear does.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Bands like MCR etc don't know too much about gear, other than that some old white man promised to give them lots of it if they appeared in merchandise, so they usually get a ton of good gear, and then its eq-ed to sound better in the studio.

Metal guitarists are usually conservative in their equipment, so usually sport the same stuff and don't feel the need to ever change their settings or anything.
Quote by Meddled
Bands like MCR etc don't know too much about gear, other than that some old white man promised to give them lots of it if they appeared in merchandise, so they usually get a ton of good gear, and then its eq-ed to sound better in the studio.

Metal guitarists are usually conservative in their equipment, so usually sport the same stuff and don't feel the need to ever change their settings or anything.

Wow... if that wasn't the most ignorant and narrow minded statement that I've read today.

They know just as much about gear as the next band. Bands like MCR have paid their dues just like metal bands, but their is a mainstream acceptance for bands like MCR so it seems like they just pop up overnight. Whereas metal bands stay underground pretty much the majority of their career since there really is no mainstream acceptance for metal, so it seems like they have been around forever before they ever get a break.
its strange considering metal is the second biggest selling genre in the western world after r&b
Music is the holy grail, sod wine water and the blood of jesus
Quote by nebiru
Look at it this way.... Fall out boy has a giant record label backing them to be able to pay for awesome gear. Poor death metal bands have to work at Taco Bell to buy their gear.

This statement is probably more truth than fiction.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
They know just as much about gear as the next band.

And if a company says it will provide these faggot bands with their backline, are they going to say no?
I'm amazed @ the tone(s) Exodus can get out of a Peavey Triple X. That's an amazing amp recorded. Totally underrated. Oh, I'm sure Andy Sneap deserves some credit there too.
Quote by nebiru

I can just imagine the guy at the drive-thru wearing corpse paint.
the producer has alot to do with their guitar tones, as well as the engineer.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
I like those bands and I like their guitar tone. I do agree about metal tones, but not every metal band has bad tone, in fact I think it fits the music better. For pop punk and pop rock you need really nice guitar tones to fit the music.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Quote by nebiru

Also, Fall out boy have the label to be able to pay for high end producers to make their albums sound good and show them what the gear does.

Yup, I think one of their guitarists a/b's between a rocker 50 and a bogner Uberschall. I don't think they have expetional tone but whatever. Also, I saw Panic at the disco on the artist page for Bad cat amps. ****, I envy them for that.
Does this thread mean Felix is no longer UG's newest tone freak?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by mcrfobtai
Yup, I think one of their guitarists a/b's between a rocker 50 and a bogner Uberschall. I don't think they have expetional tone but whatever. Also, I saw Panic at the disco on the artist page for Bad cat amps. ****, I envy them for that.

At least the singer and the lead guitarist of Panic are both good players, with their success they deserve good gear.
And yeah, Joe from FOB does AB with the Orange and the Bogner, last time I saw them live I saw the Orange head hooked up to whatever cabs he was using.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Quote by stradivari310
At least the singer and the lead guitarist of Panic are both good players, with their success they deserve good gear.
And yeah, Joe from FOB does AB with the Orange and the Bogner, last time I saw them live I saw the Orange head hooked up to whatever cabs he was using.

I don't think there all that good of players. I'm not a panic fan really though so maybe they are...
Quote by mcrfobtai
I don't think there all that good of players. I'm not a panic fan really though so maybe they are...

Well on their first album the lead guitar was mixed out pretty badly, although it was part of the genre. Their second album does have legitimately good guitar, much to the annoyance of UG. They're not incredible, but you don't have to be to play pop music.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Quote by stradivari310
Well on their first album the lead guitar was mixed out pretty badly, although it was part of the genre. Their second album does have legitimately good guitar, much to the annoyance of UG. They're not incredible, but you don't have to be to play pop music.

It's true you don't have to be incredible although there are some bands...
Quote by Raijouta
Does this thread mean Felix is no longer UG's newest tone freak?

Hey screw you man
I DO appreciate good tone. I didn't even say their tone was great, they just have damn nice amps.
I enjoy some pop punk now and then. The same old thing gets old really quick.

Also, to those saying "zomg, they have such good tones because they can spend so much", I point to Lil Wayne playing guitar. Worst thing ever.

Also, I would like to point out that IMO, Dan Auerbach has the most epic tone I've heard in a long long time. Also, I point to the fact that tone is subjective, and the metal bands I listen to all have great tone. It might be the fact that my type of metal has overtly loud, midrangy bark with nice powertube overdrive as opposed to buzzsaw, but whatever.
Quote by mcrfobtai
Hey screw you man
I DO appreciate good tone. I didn't even say their tone was great, they just have damn nice amps.

Whoa, man. Chill. That's not what I meant - I meant that the OP is the newest (as in time) tone freak, not that you're no longer a tone freak.

?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Quote by Raijouta
Whoa, man. Chill. That's not what I meant - I meant that the OP is the newest (as in time) tone freak, not that you're no longer a tone freak.

?

Lol sorry. And I wasn't freaking either. Hence the and No worries. Yeah, I guess not. Sorry man
Quote by Varkunus
its strange considering metal is the second biggest selling genre in the western world after r&b

these days, Metal is a pretty broad term, though. MCR can be described as metal, so could FOB. these days, anythings with distorted guitars and soloing can pass for metal.

well, look how far R&B has come from it's roots. how many R. Kelly fans actually know what R&B stands for?
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
^^This is true.

While we're on the subject of mainstream guys with good tone, I'd like to point out John Mayer and Brad Paisley. Good lord...... Two Rocks + Dumbles + Dr. Z's all in one sentence.... Not to mention that one of John Mayer's guitarists plays a vintage plexi and the other plays a Metro.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

^Don't forget Badcat.

Quote by Jhachey22
these days, Metal is a pretty broad term, though. MCR can be described as metal, so could FOB. these days, anythings with distorted guitars and soloing can pass for metal.

well, look how far R&B has come from it's roots. how many R. Kelly fans actually know what R&B stands for?

I like R. Kelly. I have Twelve Play and TPS2.com.

R&B stands for rhythm and blues.

How many people know that Classic Rock is just Blues played by white people?
Quote by imgooley
^Don't forget Badcat.

Well, when I think of classic rock I usually think of work influenced by both the blues and European folk music featuring guitars (usually more overdriven than in blues) similarly styled vocals to the blues, plus bass and often more aggressive drums.

Although I agree with you somewhat, I think of Hendrix more as classic rock than blues because of his sonic edge and experimentation in the studio (Hendrix, too, was influenced by blues players and his contemporaries).
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Quote by imgooley
^Don't forget Badcat.

well, thanks alot for making me look like an idiot, imgooley.

what the general meaniing was that today's R&B is nothing like how it started out.
when The Who's tagline was "Maximum R&B", i don't think they meant Mariah Carrey.

yeah yeah yeah. i know "Dumbass, The Who were in the sixties an mariah was in the 90's." it's an example people.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
^I wasn't trying to make you look stupid, I was just being pedantic and a bit of an asshole.

And Mariah Carey doesn't sing R&B. The sad thing about what R&B has become is it is essentially characterized as Black people doing non-hip hop music.

Quote by Raijouta
Well, when I think of classic rock I usually think of work influenced by both the blues and European folk music featuring guitars (usually more overdriven than in blues) similarly styled vocals to the blues, plus bass and often more aggressive drums.

Although I agree with you somewhat, I think of Hendrix more as classic rock than blues because of his sonic edge and experimentation in the studio (Hendrix, too, was influenced by blues players and his contemporaries).

I'd agree to an extent, but Classic Rock also includes stuff like Foghat, The Allman Brothers, Skynyrd, etc.

To me, Blues is more than just music anyway.

As far as bass, distortion, and more aggressive drums, that doesn't really change the aesthetics of the music. The MC5 played a lot of blues, as did the Stooges and AC/DC, yet their considered rock. The stuff they did sounds very similar to stuff like Hound Dog Taylor and R.L. Burnside. Blues itself is very aggressive and dirty, and in my mind, more so than what is colloquially considered 'classic rock'.

As far as Hendrix, I should have to say anything except Buddy Guy.
And speaking of how awesome Two Rocks are, I'd like to mention John Mayer and his awesome tone. Thank you, thank you. Hold your applause.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

Quote by VoodooCow229
And speaking of how awesome Two Rocks are, I'd like to mention John Mayer and his awesome tone. Thank you, thank you. Hold your applause.

I can't stand Mayer's tone nor his music
Quote by imgooley
I can't stand Mayer's tone nor his music

You may now eat my shorts.

Quote by forsaknazrael

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

Quote by VoodooCow229
You may now eat my shorts.

Looks like Mr. Mayer wouldn't mind doing that for you instead.
I've heard some pretty good tones from Mayer. Can't stand his music either though. Although, after a few youtube searches, I now respect him. He is a pretty good bluesman, with great taste in amps.
Quote by mcrfobtai
I've heard some pretty good tones from Mayer. Can't stand his music either though. Although, after a few youtube searches, I now respect him. He is a pretty good bluesman, with great taste in amps.

John Mayer doesn't play blues.
heh. I ashamed to say that I saw MCR at a warped tour stop in 04 or 05 but the only thing that I remember about their performance was that their tones were terrible.

It's all about production.

btw some of the best live tones that I have ever heard have been punk shows. Guitar + tube amp turned way the **** up with no pedals= tone heaven
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
Quote by imgooley
John Mayer doesn't play blues.

Yea he does.... Obviously, he can't play real oldschool Muddy Waters or Howlin' Wolf but he definitely plays enough blues to keep the horny teenage girls interested and keep the guitar playing community at ease.
Quote by forsaknazrael

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

Page 1 of 2