Ok so I have the dreaded Tbird and I'm looking to get a pickup upgrade. So how do I know which kind to get? I was looking at some EMGs but... I'm not sure. What do you think?
Mah Geah:
The Dreaded T-Bird
Ampeg BA115
Boss Bass Synth
Boss Bass Overdrive
Blue Steel Strings
Clayton Picks
Monster Cables

Coheed and Cambria: Rush, Iron Maiden, and Star Wars had a baby.
I suppose if they fit some musicman style humbuckers would most likely improce the sound i think bartolini make some good ones.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Are you aware that there are esentially no pick-ups that will fit in your bass?

You can get the "Improved" pick-up they use in the Gibson version of the T-bird, and that is seriously about it.
Last edited by Captain Insano at Sep 16, 2008,
I have heard and experienced mostly pretty good things about EMG pickups, however there are many different kind of styles to get.....

What kind of music are we talking about?
i play mostly metal
Mah Geah:
The Dreaded T-Bird
Ampeg BA115
Boss Bass Synth
Boss Bass Overdrive
Blue Steel Strings
Clayton Picks
Monster Cables

Coheed and Cambria: Rush, Iron Maiden, and Star Wars had a baby.
I dont have a whole lot of experience with them, but when it comes to metal i have heard a lot of people praising seymour duncan pickups, you should probably check them out....
I would say if you put a humbucker in the bridge and something lighter sounding in the neck. You would have to fill in gaps and rout it nd then repaint it honestly you should just sell it take the money from the bass and the pickups and buy something else.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
if you were to get EMGs i would suggest the 35DC's for a 4 string
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
Quote by Captain Insano
Are you aware that there are esentially no pick-ups that will fit in your bass?

Not quite:

http://www.bartolini.net/information/bass/new_bass_pu_s4.htm

scroll down far enough, you'll find them. I have no idea where you could buy them, though
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
bestbassgear.com has them I think.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I like the Epi Thunderbird IV.

Consider "flat wound" strings for a big tone change and get a decent multi pedal.

What amp are you playing thru?

I picked up a Marshall MB30, a thirty watt but they have a fifteen, that is a new ground up design with two channels, clean and overdrive with a compression button and level dial, boost, full eq and a three place selectable voice dial with a level dial to modulate each voice setting. This am is awesome when coupled with my Zoom B2.1u multipedal.

A decent amp and a multipedal would give you a sound range that would make your guitar way more versitile. Flat wounds would give it a whole new sound. Raising and lowering the pups can also yield big results. New strings can create a new sound.

I'd buy the tbird from you for a resonable price.

You could also design a replacement rig to allow you to put a wide variety of pickups in. The space is larger than most pickups. You would be able to make mounting pieces out of wood and possibly make them height adjustable and put on some great Seymour Duncan soapbar type pups or other great pups. You could design it in a way that would be complimentary and actually make the bass look awesome. You have to have an ability to design adaptor plates and things like this. It is fun to try to think up solutions and then get some great pickups or even some guitar fetish ones and wind up with an awesomely improved sounding and really sharp looking instrument that you can be proud of and really love the sound of.

A lot of people LIKE Tbirds. You could EASILY trade it off for a decent Ibanez or something else. I have an expensive, expensive Schecter five string and just got a used Squire affinity bass that is really nice. Really really nice and a platform for building an awesome bass. It's a P bass. I'm going to put on a nice black pearl pickguard on the black flawless body, nicer than a new one, and put in some great pickups, passive pickups, like Seymour Duncan quarter pounders or something, maybe even try guitar fetish hot P bass pups. It's really decent the way it is. I will replace the volume and tone pots with really good ones while I'm at it and put on a new better jack. This is a really nice affinity bass. People underestimate affinity products sometimes and also underestimate the things that they can do to their rig to make it way way better without spending too much money.

What's wrong with the stock pickups? Are they wired right? You can change capacitors and pots very cheaply. You can put some flat wounds on cheaply. Talk to a good tech and see what he suggests to upgrade your sound.

Make me a phone order and I might buy it and pay for the shipping: Call me at 5707645705. I love Thunderbirds and I'll fix it up to my liking even though some suggest that it can't be done effectively. I guarantee I can fix it up for myself to the point that it will be one of my best basses. Seriously. Contact me: email is mjbolduc@dejazzd.com. I'll get right on it. Then you can buy an Ibanez or something or even one from rondomusic.com. What color is it?

Duffy
Duffy, what if he wants to keep it?

and how would flatwounds improve the tone to a low end punch?
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

I'm thinking he doesn't like the sound.

To dramatically change the sound of the bass without doing anything else he can put on some relatively heavy flat wound Rotosounds, Fenders, of D'darrio's, or other brands like Ernie Ball if he can find heavy flat wounds.

All flatwounds are relatively heavy by the nature of the design. Start with a set a little heavier and you will guarantee a big tonal change. Many major bass players use heavier flatwounds anyway but you don't want to get into all kinds of neck adjustment. So stay fairly close but go heavier.

As you probably know many bass players use flatwounds to get that vintage bass sound and a lot of blues and jazz bass players use them as well, in their specialty sound areas. Even some metal players use flatwounds, don't ask me who but I was recently reading about it.

Often times flatwounds will transform a unacceptable sounding bass into a fabulous sounding bass and the player then finds that going to an even heavier gauge flatwound produces an even more enjoyable sound.

This inexpensive change of string types is definitely worth the try and has been the answer to tone problems for many bass players, especially ones looking for a deep, heavy bass sound without jagged edges.

A great bass multipedal can also modify the sound of a bass and make a poor sounding bass sound great, coupled with an outstanding amp. But the best bass won't sound signifcantly better than a junk one through a poor sounding amp that isn't capable of producing a great tone to begin with and also lacks tone shaping capabilities.

I, too, have heard that the Acoustics are good, inexpensive bass amps and I wouldn't be surprised if they go up in price once the price gets around.

My son plays his Goth Thunderbird four thru his SWR Workingman's fifteen without any pedals and really likes the straight up tone. Of course that is an awesome amp.
He also plays an Epi LP bass and a MIJ Fender J bass thru it without pedals and loves the sounds of them.

So, strings can be a major change in sound and tone, flatwounds producing a major change that the dude might really like. They would darken the bass up and make it deeper sounding, especially with the heavier gauges; and also the heavier gauges will make it louder. Many bass players have been amazed at how much better their rigs sound with flatwounds; complete transformations with minimal cost.

Another option after trying the flatswounds would be to bring the bass to a really good guitar repair shop and tell the tech what kind of sound you are looking for and he might be able to very inexpensively change around some pots and capacitors and some other things and transform the sound of the bass to a very substantial degree. This would make sense if he likes the looks and feel of the bass but just wants to modify the tone.

He might want to also find out what others have been successful with when they found they were unsatisfied with their Tbird basses.

I pedal might also do the trick or a different amp. Maybe his am can't handle the THUNDER bird. Or maybe he needs a bass boost. But I'd try flatwounds first and wouldn't be surprised if these didn't produce a major improvement regardless of the other equipment in his rig.

Have you tried flatwounds? Real flatwounds, not earthwounds or whatever they call them that are supposed to sound just like roundwounds but be easier on your fingers. Flatwounds with nickel content are supposed to sound more deep and full, the stainless and chrome ones are supposed to be way brighter and harder sounding. Furthermore, good flatwounds might have to be ordered. Only typical ones are probably carried in the stores, like the Chromes and stainless steels. But people like these too. They even have polymer tape wound flatwound strings.

Hope some of these ideas help.

Duffy

My next set of bass strings will be flatwounds for my four string.

I have a set of flat wounds, Chromes, on my Epi LP plus top '08 in solid amber flammed maple, not sunburst: an awesome guitar. My other Epi LP, also a standard has Super Slinky nines, roundwound. Both have Seymour Duncan covered humbuckers, one a jazz and JB the other, the plus top, a '59 in the neck and a JB in the Bridge and both combinations are awesome. Flatwounds would probably sound really awesome on my semi hollow body Ibanez as73 Artcore, but it has stock nines on it now and sounds unbelievably great, transparent cherry, tonepro and stop tail.
to duffy (I'd quote, but that essay was too big to even fathom trying to erase)

go into sales. and edit your replies. try this:

he doesn't like his sound. flats give him a new, bassier tone, especially with heavier guages. I agree with your like of Acoustics. I use flats on all my basses. I love it. I think he will too.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

To "the humanity"

I am inclined to describe things in a rather lengthy, highly descriptive way that hopefully makes things easier to understand by the greatest number of people.

I do not have flatwounds on all my basses; in fact I don't have them on any but am going to put them on one only, giving me a greater variety of sound to implement. The only thing I have chromes on right now is my amber, non sunburst, flammed maple, '08 Epiphone LP Plus Top. It sounds great and so does my '07 birdseye capped Epi LP Standard with round wounds and Seymour Duncan "hot rodded" humbuckers from the set that sells for like 130 at MF. A good sounding set but I like the set on the Amber LP: '59 nickel plated in neck and JB nickel plated in the bridge. All the SD's on the LP's are covered.

Flatwounds are fun to experiment with and can make a big difference in some situations. You'll see.

Duffy
http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/basslines/cutting-edge-1/ssb45_passive_p/

These Seymour Duncans might be outstanding for your Tbird. You might have to design a mounting plate or make small black plexiglass pickguardish mounting plates or one longer plate for both pups. The rails would probably sound unreal.

A good guitar repair shop, not guitar store, should have a guitar man that can easily solve your problem. Suggesting a set of pups like these and fabricating a mounting plate would probably not hurt and the dude would probably have the router to do a really professional job that would look great. Plus wiring them in would be very very simple I would think. This would be an inexpensive path to an awesome bass I think. Check out the other SD pickups too. Going active would be more expensive but a fraction of the cost of a really great bass.

You could turn that Tbird into a truly awesome bass by having a guitar man work with you to get exactly what you want. He would know how to get around the limitted pup direct substitution problem and might even be able to rebuild the existing pickups.

If you don't like the looks of the Tbird it probably doesn't make any sense to put any money into it, but if it is something that you like and of otherwise excellent quality, you could turn it into something unbelievable. No question. And for a very reasonable cost.

Duffy

I hope my ideas encourage someone to work with something that they have that has the potential to be great, at a very reasonable cost. I've done a lot of my own mods and utilized great guitar men to do jobs that are beyond my ability, always to my amazement. These pro tech guys can really produce some awesome instruments and amps too.
Still, if he doesn't want to do any extra routing,etc (i know i wouldn't), the barts might be the way to go. plus, they say on the website that their tbird replacement pickups have a little more highs than the stock pickups, which, considering these are t-bird pickups we're talking about, is probably a good thing
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
to Duffy: you say the same thing 3 times and call it informative. the first time it was. the second and third it was repetitive, and boring. and the guitars you put chrome strings on are irrelevant, that post made me die a little inside.

modding is nice if you're prepared. I doubt this guy is quite prepared yet. he may be, but he has to be sure he wants to try, and know exactly what he's doing.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Yo what's up with you dude? Some beginners need things spelled out, repeated, and they need to be treated nice.

Are you ok? You have some kind of mental compulsion to be rude and dominant?

My post made a part of you die inside? What's up with that dude? You must have been pretty sick already.

You also should be ashamed of yourself for treating a relative newcomer to the site with such crudeness and downright low classedness.

I bet you insult and try to stop a lot of people from saying what they have to share. You won't be stopping me. I'm a nice guy and don't mind trying to help someone. Obviously you are trying to hurt someone, namely, me.

Guess what dude? I understand where people like you are coming from and you shouldn't be interacting with other people, or maybe you should find a bunch of people like yourself to interact with, exchange insults and so on. No telling how far a dude like you could go.

One look at your avatar speaks a thousand words dude.

Don't harrass me with your foolish comments. I didn't ask for your opinion. I'm trying to help a dude deal with a situation, not engage in some low class rhetoric with you. That's what the delete key is for. Easy to negate ignoramuses like you. By the way, you can leave me alone in the future. Mind your own business. Put a hundred pictures of Bin Laden on your messages. But don't mess with me anymore or I'm going to report you to the site administrator and put an end to it quick. You may be a mental midget and not understand what I'm trying to do in helping this guy out, but I don't answer to you and your insults are not welcome. You need to chill out and try to relax and be a little tolerant of people and other people's styles of doing things. Good thing the world isn't full of people like you and Bin Laden.

Duffy
Duffy1--warned. He wasn't harassing you and then you flamed albeit with better grammar than most. And watch the double posts.

And as I found out tonight, Bartolini's may be an option for you TS. Shoot them an email to confirm.
TS, no insult intended on your thread. I'm a polite dude.

Let us know if you try flatwounds.

Do you like the Thunderbird bass or is the whole bass something you want to replace?

Duffy

Peace
Quote by Duffy1
TS, no insult intended on your thread. I'm a polite dude.

Let us know if you try flatwounds.

Do you like the Thunderbird bass or is the whole bass something you want to replace?

Duffy

Peace

see, I liked that.

sorry I pissed you off so much. I just didn't want to read your long posts. they really did seem a little repetitive. I'm a nice guy too, I could have said it nicer.

when I was but a noob, I hated people treating me like I was some kinda idiot.

truce.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

What are the dimensions of your current pickups? I've seen people say that EMG 35s will fit but I'm not 100% sure about that.
Quote by DaveMustaine08
Quote by puppetmaster917
I think white people are better than black people.
While this statement is kinda racist and straightforward, it does have many FACTS to back it up lolz.

Ok "the humanity". I'm cool, so to speak, and so are you, I'm sure.

I'll try to keep you happy by streamlineing my my posts. Admittedly, I do get long winded and delve into things. I know quite a bit about guitars, basses and amps but am not a pro by any means. Lately I'm enjoying modding guitars and basses and I have learned a lot that way.

I know quite a bit about how pickups and strings can affect sound. Strings are cheap and flatwounds could make a very big tonal difference and that difference might be enough to change his feeling about the Tbird.

Pickup changes are fun and can make it a whole new guitar. I just dropped some specially selected Seymour Duncans into a strat and it sounds like a totally different guitar to the max.

I hope my ideas help somebody or give someone some ideas.

I didn't intend to get you upset, "the humanity". Your comment about my post made me feel really bad. I didn't think I was all that far out of line. I can roll with it. We'll be alright. It's in the past now and I'll be cool as I'm sure you will be.

Thanks man. We are through this.

Duffy
Winfield, Pa
mjbolduc@dejazzd.com

Bass equip:

Schecter stiletto five elite '08. best sounding bass I've ever played.
Squire affinity P bass, mint '04, going to mod this.
Modest Fender Rumble 100
Real nice Marshall MB30 bass practice amp ten inch
Zoom B2.1u awesome multipedal w usb
To Duffy1

This is off topic but

I usually tell my whole life story in one post aswell

Admittedly I got a little bored reading your english reports on how to change your bass sounds (no offence intended)

but I did learn a bit, and thanks for that, but maybe in the future try to just pick out the most important bits make sure you get the message across clearly without a thousand and three paragraphs

Peace out you ever so knowledgable dude!
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"