I'm struggling to produce the rhythm tone that I'm looking for. I'm wanting a thick, warm, enveloping, happy, honey dripping tone for rhythm stuff and haven't been able to produce it. I've tried several amps, amp models in multiFX, stompboxes, different EQ settings, different pup positions, etc. Haven't tried a different string gauge yet.

My main rig is a 60 watt 1x12 Hartke GT60c hybrid combo amp with a Digitech RP350 and some discrete pedals. I'm using the Digitech mainly as a volume pedal, floor tuner, EQ, and noise gate ... no amp or stompbox modeling. It's not sucking tone because I've tried with and without it. I can typically get anything I want out of this setup except for the elusive rhythm tone I'm looking for. I've tried on my Peavey Classic 20, a Classic 30, a Blues Jr., Valveking, and a couple other small tube amps but have still not found what I'm looking for. So far the closest I've gotten is with the drive channel on the Hartke amp with a bunch of reverb and bass and a touch of chorus.

For an example of what I'm looking for listen to the electric guitar rhythm work on most of Jeremy Camp's music. What are some things I can try to get closer to this tone? Changing amps is not out of the question, although I haven't tried an amp yet that gets any closer to this than the Hartke I already have. Thanks
Hagstrom Ultralux XL-5, HSH configuration. I've also tried a couple Strats and a PRS. I want to try a Les Paul soon.
i had that problem.
then i got the Mesa Boogie Mark IV long head.
its my savior. you should look into it. it has a nice crunch with great sustain, and the distortion isnt super saturated like triple recto or anything. it may be a bit pricey but if your serious about guitar its definitely worth it.

think....lamb of god, chevelle, john petrucci. cant say enough positive things about mine.
Microsoft Works...there's and oxymoron for you.
any idea of the specs of your pickups?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
What sort of rhythm tone do you want? Name a similar one.

Usually getting a better amp helps you achieve what you're looking for.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Not sure on the pup specs. They're made by Hagstrom and I don't think they're available other than on new guitars. I don't care much for the single coil but the 'buckers sound great.

I'm looking for a rhythm tone like what is in lots of Jeremy Camp songs. Here are some examples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4am_XNob174
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=791NEtPGeKM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDF0L6sPNfI

Pretty sure Andy Dodd is playing rhythm in all these. I see him playing what looks to be Les Pauls in vids but don't otherwise know what type of rig he is using. It's worth mentioning that Jeremy Camp often has 2 electric guitarists backing him up.
sounds like a fender + chorus to me...
it also doesnt sound that special/hard to recreate.
Gibson LP w/SD59+PRS Dragon II
Fender 52RI Hotrod Tele
PRS Tremonti SE w/Bulldog Extremist/Black Label

Cornford MK50H & 2x12
Marshall JMP-1

TC Electronics G-System

MacBook + Ableton Live
when i think of thick rhythm tones, i think of thicker strings and power amp tubes being pushed. if youve still got that classic 30 somewhere where you can try it out try this: select the overdrive channel but turn the preamp volume way down and the post up. or just turn up a 5w tube amp until its on the verge of breaking up (try with epi vj or BH lg). id say the neck pickup or neck and middle combination (if you can do that with your guitar) gives the warmest sound.

then again, thats just what i think of when i consider a warm rhythm tone. so try those kinda things out to see if thats what you want.
Quote by JOn`
sounds like a fender + chorus to me...

Yup, I'll second this.

There are a few things that you also need to keep in mind. The first and most important is that there's both an acoustic and electric playing those parts you're hearing. Making the whole thing sound bigger and thicker.

Second, the guitar part wouldn't sound nearly as nice without the band backing. I've often noticed that the sounds I'll use when playing live are nothing like what I use at home. I usually have the treble and mid quite a bit higher and the bass quite a bit lower for any live gig, and it sounds absolutely fantastic, but to use the same settings at home are just ugly and unpleasant to listen to. It's kind of a matter of complimentary tones.

But yeah. that sound is basically a cranked fender on the clean channel.

As for your setup, well. First, your guitar is made of basswood, which while fairly warm, isn't really what I'd call a thick sound.

Next, the RP350 will affect your tone somewhat. I know you say it doesn't, but I've used them before, and even with everything turned off they still give everything a kind of glassy quality. It's more apparent when you're playing louder though. You really shouldn't have the noise gate on though. Something is very wrong with your setup if you need a noise gate for a low gain type tone.

The Hartke GT60c isn't really suited to that type tone either. You'd be better off with the Peavey Classic and a Clean Boost & chorus pedal. Or a Fender Blues Jr + Les Paul + Chorus.

You could also try some different pickups. I'm not sure how good the stock pickups in your guitar are, but since Hagstrom is mostly low to mid range guitars, you'd probably see a huge improvement in tone from a pickup swap.
I play in a band and agree that it's hard to find these tones playing alone. I always have to turn the bass down when playing with everyone else.

The amp is pretty quiet and I don't have to have the noise gate on. But I do a lot of late night playing with volume very low and having a little noise gate takes 100% of the noise/hum out and makes it more fun to play. I have a Peavey Classic 20, but it's lacking in bass and presence so I use it for band practice. The Classic 30 is my friends.

I'm going to try out some Les Pauls and maybe try to find a Hot Rod Deluxe to try out. I may just not be able to get the tone I'm looking for with current hardware.