hey guys!

so, i'm looking for an acoustic guitar to buy...eventually

I want it to be able to sound like claptons unplugged stuff (say tears in heaven), dylan!/cash's strumming stuff, but also to be heavy enough to handle some mean old blues...

so, what type (dreadnought, OOO, whatever) is best for that, and ultimately, what brand/model?

as of now im looking at simon & patrick guitars (mainly the songsmith) but also at that martin built completely out of fsc certified woods (its just good, and sounds cool...but i doubt i can try it)

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Well, Clapton's unplugged fingerpicked, blues type stuff would probably best be suited to an 000 or OM size guitar. Strumming stuff, like Cash, would usually be better suited to a Dread.

You can do it all on any guitar, strumming might not sound as good on an OM as it would on a Dread and vice versa.

You really need to sort out specifically what you're lookng for, probably by going and playing lots of guitars.
It's Only Rock and Roll, But I like It
i feared an answer like that

but i guess i have no choice

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

when all else fails, get a fender. My F-15 works for everything. About 5 others have played it, all different styles and skills, and they all love it. As do I
Quote by PenFighter19
when all else fails, get a fender. My F-15 works for everything. About 5 others have played it, all different styles and skills, and they all love it. As do I

i was wildly clicking the quote button for this.

do not get a fender acoustic. EVER. they are not great acoustics for their price. they are just okay acoustics and all you're buying is the name on the headstock.

strumming on a parlor/000 guitar is just fine. it may sound a little different because there is a less bassy sound but it's nothing that big.
Schecter Diamond Series C-1 Elite
Roland Cube 30x
Blueridge BR-143
An OM is a good compromise to play anything. In the end though the music is in your hands and fingers, not so much the guitar.
Quote by Akabilk
An OM is a good compromise to play anything. In the end though the music is in your hands and fingers, not so much the guitar.

I agree completely with this. My guitar is an OM. I don't really do much heavy strumming, but it works well for everything I do.

The second sentence above is the truth. It's all in how you use the guitar.
It's Only Rock and Roll, But I like It
Yep. Spot on. A bit like paint brushes really. A $5 brush in the hands of a master will create a masterpiece. A $100 brush in the hands of a crappy painter will produce a crappy painting.
alright, thanks for all your help so far! i'll definitely go out and try some acoustics asap.

so, if i decide to get a OOO for all my needs, would this be a good choice to save up for? http://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/choosing/guitars.php?p=s&g=E&m=SWOMGT - its that martin made of fsc certified woods, i really like that idea

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

it's all solid, the only problem i see is that you didn't try it out in person to see and hear the tone yourself.

that's the thing, you have to try out the guitar before you buy it. go to the store and try every guitar in your price range. forget about looking at guitars online. go to the store and try them out. two guitars of the same model can sound very different. i know this from experience because my guitar model was sold before i bought mine from the same store. they both sounded great but one was slightly different.
Schecter Diamond Series C-1 Elite
Roland Cube 30x
Blueridge BR-143
will do...
...i need to get rid of all that "knowledge" about buying electric guitars here - its all different with acoustics (sure electrics of the same model can sound different too, but its not as drastic i guess)

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Guitars are a bit like women, don't live with them until you know how they play.