Ok, so I'm sorta getting conflicting information about the most effective legato technique. When I asked my previous guitar teacher about improving my technique, he said the best position was to have the hand adjacent to the neck, with the thumb firmly on the back of the neck rather than curling over the top like you might if you were say, playing a G chord. However I see quite a few guitarists who do keep their thumb curled around the neck, or have the palm slightly slanted. An example of what I mean would be this Dave Mustaine lesson at 5:23 Here

Also, when pulling off to an open string, would the preferable technique still apply? I.e. parts like Thunderstruck or the solo in Dead Star by Muse.

Cheers for any help.
As much as I love Mustaine's rhythm playing I wouldn't take advise or technique tips from him in a million years; his lead technique is absolutely terrible.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Nielsyboy
Dave mustaine can't play guitar for shit. Listen to your teacher.

That's wildly unfair; his rhythm technique is pretty bloody good and he can play while singing better than most, it's just his lead that's sloppy and repetitive.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
In this case, your guitar teacher is right. The thumb should be in the middle of the back of the neck, almost in line with your 2nd finger. This hand position in very important to perform almost any technique well (hooking your thumb over the neck can help with bending and vibrato), but it is essentual for legato playing.

You will find that many good legato players incorporate large stretches into their licks. Having proper hand position allows you to pull of these stretches and perform them with speed. In addition to limitting your stretching abillity, hooking your thumb over the neck can lead to a serrious wrist injury. Furthermore, proper hand position also applies to licks with open strings.

A few other things you should keep in mind while playing leagato are:

1. Make sure you play each note clearly and at the "sweet spot" of the fret.
2. Keep your fretting hand very relaxed and don't use much pressure for fretting.

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions.
Cheers guys. Yeah I'm not a big fan of Mustaine's playing but it was a video I had to hand. And thanks mccabe24 for answering my q about the open string stuff.
Yeah..Mustaines rhythm technique is awesome But like the other guys said...keep the thumg firmly behind the neck. On the subject mof Mustaine/Megadeth., Check out some videos of Chris Poland on youtube. He has awesome legato technique and his thumb is never over the top of the neck..even with bends.
Andy
Quote by Nielsyboy
Dave mustaine can't play guitar for shit. Listen to your teacher.

Whatever feels comfortable for you.

Personally I use the thumb-behind-neck for legatos.
hue