Hey everyone,

I'm going to start learning piano/keyboard soon and I was wondering if any of you could help me out with my problem.

I've been playing guitar for about 3 years and love playing metal. I also love the keyboard parts in metal songs, but when I try to think of any songs, I can't remember.

Since I'm only learning, I don't care if the whole song is not in piano - Maybe the intro or a bridge. (I would look in the rec. thread but there is no part for 'piano included')

I guess I have no idea atm - Any genre of metal would be fine...I guess something like Opeth songs, such as 'a fair judgement' etc

I'm open to all suggestions;

Thanks everyone,

Dan
Gear List;

Laney VH100R with Matching Cab
Ibanez RGT42FM
Schecter C-1+
BC Rich Neck Thru Warlock
ISP Noise Decimator
Ibanez TS9
If you count newer sevenfold as metal, Almost Easy and Unbound (The Wild Ride)

Almost easy is too easy, but Unbound sounds tricky.
Thanks mate,

I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but I wasn't sure where else to put it...

Cheers,

Dan
Gear List;

Ibanez RGT42FM
Schecter C-1+
ISP Noise Decimator
Ibanez TS9
Oh, man, I wish someone with your taste lived in my area. When I saw you mention 'Peth, I think I came.

Anyway, it's going to be difficult finding a variety of metal songs with keyboard parts that aren't insanely difficult for a beginner. I reccomend "Burden" off Opeth's newest album, "Watershed". Then maybe check out "Extreme Form of Hatred" off Shade Empire's "Sinthetic" album.

Maybe "Aurora Borealis" or "River Flows Frozen" off Eternal Tears of Sorrow's "A Virgin and a *****" album.
Listen to some Between the Buried and Me, the lead singer also plays piano for them, i know that a few songs on Colors had piano parts in them.
every HIM song has piano nd keyboards in it ... listen 2 them! and they rock
Thanks guys!

Aurora borealis = HARD hahahaha

I guess Im after songs like, insomnium - The gale

and Kalmah's - moon of my nights.

(I suppose it doesnt have to be metal if anyone wants to suggest someting else...)

Cheers,

Dan
Gear List;

Ibanez RGT42FM
Schecter C-1+
ISP Noise Decimator
Ibanez TS9
Well, some bands with keyboard players:

Dark Tranquillity (Haven and onwards)
Omnium Gatherum
Opeth (last two albums)
Children Of Bodom
Dragonforce
Dream Theater
Symphony X

Some of them (read: Dream Theater) will probably be too advanced a lot of the time but there's still some stuff that will definitely help you learn.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
yo man I'm not exactly sure what kinda keyboard your looking to play but check out born of osiris - open arms to damnation, empires erased, abstract art, their more like metalcore but they way they use the keyboards in their songs give it alot more depth. its also sounds cool as hell. Another band that uses alot of keyboards is children of bodom I don't really like them but they do use keyboards and write some ok songs.

-don kappyton
Thanks everyone,

I'll just say this now before it starts a flame war - If someone posts something you think is not metal, please don't post and start rubbish.

Like I said, I'm open to everything, even if people are posting things that you don't like.

Thanks everyone - I've got some searching to do now

Cheers,

Dan
Gear List;

Ibanez RGT42FM
Schecter C-1+
ISP Noise Decimator
Ibanez TS9
Probably what you should do is learn how to play keyboards/piano proficiently first, and then push yourself towards more metal styles. It'll be really difficult just heading right into metal, especially because of the complexity of most bands that actually choose to use keyboards.

HIM isn't exactly metal, but they are a good band, and their keyboard parts should be considerably easier. Definitely try their stuff.

EDIT: Yeah, I just listened to Aurora Borealis again... probably not a good one to start off with
Last edited by PurpleDinosaur at Sep 16, 2008,
hahaha ^ yeah I just got the tab...

I was talking along the lines of 'the gale' and 'moon of my nights' - They seem relatively simple. I know that If I don't play what I want to play, I'll get bored and not learn...

Thanks everyone,

Dan
Gear List;

Ibanez RGT42FM
Schecter C-1+
ISP Noise Decimator
Ibanez TS9
Hm. I'll go through my catalogue and see what I can come up with. I'm sure there have to be more than just those two simple enough songs!
Shade Empire's "Extreme Form of Hatred" is, for the most part, just one riff repeated through most of the song. It's sort of fast-paced, but I figured it out on my keyboard just playing around, and I'm not even a real player.

Maybe "Serenade of Sorrow" by Draconian? And I'm listening to Eternal Tear's of Sorrow's "Red Dawn Rising" right now, it doesn't seem too hard. Again, probably not exactly what you're looking for, but it's better than nothing.
Cheers
Gear List;

Ibanez RGT42FM
Schecter C-1+
ISP Noise Decimator
Ibanez TS9
A lot of power metal and progressive metal will feature keyboards of some sort. Dream Theater would be an obvious one, and if you like power metal at all, check out Labyrinth.
The phrase at the very end of "Opeth - The Leper Affinity" from Blackwater Park (I believe) is just beautiful and easy. Also, if you like Opeth, then you might like Mikael's favorite band porcupine tree, which have some great keys in their songs. Steven Wilson writes amazing music that is quite easy to play as well.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
I was going to recommend PT as well, but wasn't sure if it was in your scope. Wilson is a musical genius. You'd do well learning from him.
You'd do well to kiss his feet.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
Dream Theater,
Children Of Bodom,
Daath,
Opeth (as you've said, The lepper affinity outro's cool),
Alestorm,
Keep Of Kalessin have synths(check out the rising sign, the huge instrumental section in the middle is awesome),
Nile have synths(for instance, the intro to What can be safely written),
Porcupine tree,
Within Temptation(lots of synths, although I'm not a huge fan),
Dragonforce (even though they suck),
Evanescence? (if you'd cinsider them metal),
Vesania(awesome symphonic blackened death).

that should be enough to get your started, hope it helps
Good lord, I forgot Dimmu Borgir. They play with an orchestra, so you could play pieces with the synth setting if you have electric keys.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
Anything by Dream Theater, such as Stream of Consciousness.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Winds Of Plage has key parts in every one of their songs. Some of them are simple and fun to play as well.

The Faceless also has some keys but they are kind of hard to hear at times.
Born Of Osiris. Particularly the ending to The Takeover.
The Faceless have a few songs with keyboard parts in them like Leica, An Autopsy and Akeldama.
Dream Theaters "The Glass Prison" has an insane keyboard type part in it.
Irony FTW.

Quote by The Dance Hat
Technology is completely unnecessary and complicates life.

The Gear

Ibanez XPT 700
Laney Hardcore MXD 30
Patterns In The Ivy pt 1 - Opeth.

Wait For Sleep - Dream Theater.
sig goes here
doing it for the lulz since 1985

and btw, Dream Theater's About To Crash is a great workout, easier than it sounds
dark tranquility has some pretty nice piano parts in it, it might be keyboard im not sure

otherwise what has already been said, nothing else comes to mind cept power metal aka nightwish, kamelot etc has some =\
I've been learning piano for a bit, I'm doing my grade 1 in december, and I've learnt the first half of Dream Theater's "Wait for Sleep", great song to learn that sounds beautiful too.
Quote by ScottyB724

The Faceless also has some keys but they are kind of hard to hear at times.

I'd love to see just a cover of the synths of a faceless song.
Someone may have already said this, but The Dark Eternal Night by Dream Theater is fantastic.
Quote by djurico666
I like to think that after all the hardcore dancers were happy they'd succesfully killed the air ninjas during Suicide Silence, Nile came out and made them all go

Quote by bendystraw
Work on playing with your penis. A dick solo would bring infinite girlfriends.
Quote by The_Sophist
Good lord, I forgot Dimmu Borgir. They play with an orchestra, so you could play pieces with the synth setting if you have electric keys.

They didn't play with an orchestra until Enthrone Darkness Triumphant or something though did they? Pretty sure the early work was just keys...

Anyway Silhouette is a piano solo by Opeth...It would be hard as but cool
The final countdown.

Also try some Kamelot stuff, I think you could do the intro of Karma
Guitasr:
Cort KX-Custom
ESP LTD M-200FM
Amp:
Engl Powerball
Misc:
Focusrite Scarlet 2i4
Chidlren of Bodom
Kamelot
Sonata Arctica
Krypteria
Mercenary

Perhaps not the most metallest of metalbands and such, but they've got keys. Something else you might do is searh for 5 man band formations with keys on google or something. Those bands often have very full parts.