Hey guys just won this beauty on eBay, a Laney G150H Bass amp head:

Snuck in with a bid in the final 3 minutes and got it for £101 incl. postage. Read up on a few reviews of it and it seems to be a highly liked amp. Any of you guys had experience with one? Not got a cab yet, this is my first non-combo bass related adventure so if it's a 150 watt head, what cabs could I use with it, not to sure about the Ohms and everything.

Thanks in advance guys.
seems good....
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
4 ohms, you can run 2 8 ohm cabs for full wattage, or one 4 ohm i believe (correct me if im out)
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
nice catch! especially with postage included...

Captain Jack is right, 2 8 ohms or one 4 ohm.

since its a 150w what you could do go on the lookout for a 2x10/2x12 4 ohm cab. Preferably a 2x 12 because i have a thing against 2x10's, they sound empty to me, and dont look half as menacing. Although try and get a low watt one so you dont overwork the head.

However, what I would do, and this depends on your style of music, is buy a nice 15 inch cab, that will do for the Laney, and then start saving for a bigger head and a 4 x10, then hook the 4x10 up to the 1x15 and use them with the new head
Quote by jimmy_neutron
Although try and get a low watt one so you dont overwork the head.

your cab can have i higher rms handle than your heads output, so you could use a 150W head with as big a cab as you like, its when you start using cabs with lower RMS handling than your head that you get problems.... and explosions lol
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
No, if you get a cab with a lower RMS ie, head is 150w and cab is 50w, and you crank the head, the cab will blow up

If you get a cab with a higher RMS i.e head is 150w and the cab is 250/300w then cranking the head over long periods of time will break it
Quote by jimmy_neutron
No, if you get a cab with a lower RMS ie, head is 150w and cab is 50w, and you crank the head, the cab will blow up

true

Quote by jimmy_neutron
If you get a cab with a higher RMS i.e head is 150w and the cab is 250/300w then cranking the head over long periods of time will break it

is this true? i would have imagined that the cab being able to handle more power would have no influence on a lower power head
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
i have never seen it happen, but i have heard many people talkiing about it........ If the cab has a higher rating, then the head tries to push too much into the speaker, and over time it overheats and eventually blows..... It only happens if you have the head cranked to the full though..
Im pretty sure that it doesnt matter how big the cab is as long as it can handle the same or more amount then the head. Your going to be hard presses to find a cab running at 150 watts. If i were you i would get a 4 ohm 4x10 cab to play through. Rather then two cabs which would strcth the power alot.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
I thought I'd bump my thread rather than starting a new one for the same question axs I have in here. Anywho....lol

I get paid next week and I'm going to buy a cab seeing as I have been sat without an amp for nearly 2 months =[. I'm slightly confused, as I said this is my first time with a non- combo amp, and I'm not sure what wattage cab I can get? If the head is 150 watts can I only get a cab that goes up to 150 watts or can I have a higher powered one?

for example, would this one: http://www.dawsons.co.uk/acatalog/hartke_vx410_bass_cabinet.html

work with the head I bought? Much thanks in advance guys!
You can get a cab that runs higher. get one thats no more than 300 watts rms preferably. I would say get a 4x10 and that cab there is perfect and plus hartke are always good.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by jimmy_neutron
i have never seen it happen, but i have heard many people talkiing about it........ If the cab has a higher rating, then the head tries to push too much into the speaker, and over time it overheats and eventually blows..... It only happens if you have the head cranked to the full though..

How does that make any sense at all? Let's use an analogy here:
If I can lift 200 lbs and find 50 lbs on the ground, I'll be able to lift it fine. But, if I find 300 lbs on the ground and try and lift it, there might be some problems. You see what I mean? Think of me as the cab and the weights that I find, the head.

P.S: I can't really lift 200 lbs...I'm a weakling
Quote by jimmy_neutron

Nah, what happens when you use a very small head for a cab is you push the head trying to get more volume out of it. Because you have it up full, the signal it outputs becomes DC, this is lethal to the speakers. Not because it is supplying too little power, just that youre making the amp malfunction.

If you need to turn your output level to full, you need a higher wattage bass amp.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Quote by CaptainJack666
4 ohms, you can run 2 8 ohm cabs for full wattage, or one 4 ohm i believe (correct me if im out)

Back again, lol. Rather bump this than start a new thread for every question I have. I'm just wondering about what's been said in this quote ^^^^^^^^^^^

My head runs 150w@4ohms, so I understand that I can run one 4 ohm for full wattage and 2 8 ohm cabs. My question is can I also run 1 8ohm cab on it's own i.e:

* Heavy-duty plywood construction
* Four 10" proprietary drivers
* One horn loaded high frequency transducer
* Power Handling: 400 Watts @ 8 Ohms
* Ergonomic handles
* Parallel 1/4" Inputs

A cab with those properties?

Thanks in advance guys.
You would be getting about 100 watt if you only use this amp.
So try to get 2, 8 ohms for the most out of our head.

That amp is "400 Watts @ 8 Ohms"
400 watt @ 8 Omhs is a lot.

Your head can get like 100 watt at 8 Ohms so you have PLENTY of room on your cab.
You are only using like 1/4 of what the cab can handle.

(Correct if I am wrong)
Look for a 4 ohm cab. The head is quite low-powered and you'll want as much of that power as you can get. I estimate with that 8-ohm cab you'll get around 75W. I don't see a point in powering a 410 with 75W.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
TS, 150W is hard to get into proper gigging order, but it can be done. You're going to want two 8 ohm 410 cabs or one 4 ohm 810 cab...either will give you the best possible air-moving power. A couple of 412's would be better, but you don't see those often.

That said, if you have PA support or are a bedroom player, 75W is fine.
Nope, no sig here.
What I'm planning on doing is buying this cab for now, then adding another 8 ohm cab in the future. My band is currently on hiatus with work and university commitments in the way so for now 75w will do me fine. Seem like a good idea to you guys?

Thanks for the quick replies guys, much appreciated
If i'm honest, i think this would go nice with that laney head

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/vx-215/69242

It can handle 500watts, but is 4ohms so you'll be getting 150watts out of 2x15 speakers......LOADS OF LOW END through an old laney head. That does sound good. I don't think you'll be needing too turn your volume up too full either, so i wouldn't worry working the head too much.

What sort of music do you play? anything like metal or heavey rock, this will do great for. It even has a tweeter.
Quote by IndianRockStar
The bass SHOULD cover the bottom end at the very least.

70's MOD Jazz->
BOSS LMB-3->
Hartke HA3500->
GENZ-BENZ NEOx 2x12->
Second Hand Peavey 115BVX 1x15 Bass Cab

250 watts (rms) continuous , 500 watts program , Plywood construction , 1/4 inch Jack socket , 4 ohm

I've just found this cab for sale, and my understanding from the replies I've had is that I'll get more power by buying a cab like this which runs at 4 ohms than one with a bigger wattage that runs at 8 ohms, is this correct?

Do you think this would be a good deal with postage at £108.40 in total?
That sounds about right. Does it have a tweeter though? You'd probably want that.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
That sounds about right. Does it have a tweeter though? You'd probably want that.

Cheers for the reply, get paid at midnight so going to pay for it as soon as possible lol. I'm just trying to find out whether or not there is a tweeter on it now, what is the purpose of a tweeter? I've seen the term floating about before but never clicked as to what it is.
It covers the audio spectrum above ~3kHz. That cab, if it's anything like mine (which I think it is) has a frequency response of 30Hz-3kHz. Without a tweeter, thats where it stops. With a tweeter, the cab tops out at anywhere between 12kHz and 20kHz.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Bought the cab a few hours ago, just got to wait for it to arrive now, another week or so without an amp I can just about survive, lol. Now I'm just after cables to connect the head to the cab and I'm set aren't I?
Yep, just make sure it's a speaker cable and not a patch cord. If the idiot at the guitar store gives you a patch cord or says it doesn't matter, kindly leave the store.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by jimmy_neutron

So by your reckoning, all cabs will eventually blow up.

You can use any power ouput amp with any power handling cab. If any of these combinations makes bad sounds then turn down and/or stop cranking the bass EQ excessively or damage may occur.
You can't comment on gear until you have tried it!