How long, in general, do strings last? By last, I mean having a good sound. I bought my Yamaha F310 at Christmas, changed the default strings around May, and the sound was completely different. Something about the strings was a lot better (I changed to d'Addario Phosphour Bronze). This only lasted for a week or so, though, and went back to the old sound (The two high strings sound horrible).

Question is, how often do you change your strings? If I wanted to keep the good sound I'd have to change strings every month. Worth doing?
string life depends on how acidic your hand sweat is, how often you play, and the kind of strings you have.

I generally change strings every month because my hands corrode through strings really badly.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
my strings sound great all time apart from wen they snap lol
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
I change all my strings every 2 weeks... But i'm a pretty hardcore tone-chaser so I can't blame myself
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
'97 Fender Cali Series Strat
?? Samick Bass
'01 Fernandes Dragonfly Elite
I've had mine on like forever now, they're not dirty - they don't snap - not rusty, they're barely a bit brownish from me playing all the silverlike coating off. Must've used them for a year now might be more I don't remember.
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
Quote by FretboardToAsh
I've had mine on like forever now, they're not dirty - they don't snap - not rusty, they're barely a bit brownish from me playing all the silverlike coating off. Must've used them for a year now might be more I don't remember.

haha. trust me. when you take off those strings and then look at the underside that's been facing the fretboard, you'll definitely see rust. it's disgusting
Equipment:

I change my strings on my acoustic more regularly than on my electric because fresh strings seem to matter more to my acoustic tone. I also find that changing tunings a lot will wear out your strings faster -- so I discovered when jumping between standard & Open C tunings a lot.
Quote by Steve BP
I change my strings on my acoustic more regularly than on my electric because fresh strings seem to matter more to my acoustic tone. I also find that changing tunings a lot will wear out your strings faster -- so I discovered when jumping between standard & Open C tunings a lot.

Yup, I'm constantly changing between open G, open F, standard, Open A and sometimes a step down... I never compose in the same tuning or else i get bored.

That's why I never keep the same set of strings for over 2 weeks
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
'97 Fender Cali Series Strat
?? Samick Bass
'01 Fernandes Dragonfly Elite
There is a lot of variables to string longevity and many of them have been mentioned here. Other reasons are: How much you play and how hard, Do you use a plectrum or are you a light finger-picker? Does the guitar get left out of it's case when not in use? Do you wash your hands to get rid of dirt and the natural body oil and salt on them and then dry them throughly before playing?

If you live close to the sea they will need to be changed more often than otherwise. Some people like the muted sound of older strings while others like to stick to a brighter tone of new strings and change them often. In the end it's a personal choice but eventually strings must be changed because they get to the point where they won't stay in tune properly!
i'd say most strings last about a good hour a day/month (so i suppose like 30 hours) of playing before the string becomes lifeless. i've noticed D'Addario initial bright tone wears our after about a week or two of playing. they don't sound dead after about a month and that's when i'd change those.
Schecter Diamond Series C-1 Elite
Roland Cube 30x
Blueridge BR-143
Quote by about
i'd say most strings last about a good hour a day/month (so i suppose like 30 hours) of playing before the string becomes lifeless. i've noticed D'Addario initial bright tone wears our after about a week or two of playing. they don't sound dead after about a month and that's when i'd change those.

that's very true about d'addario. they keep the "Played in" sound for a LONG time.
Equipment:

i prefer them in mid life, not new, but not too old. New strings sound bright but they need to get stretched before they can be left without getting re-tuned. Personally I change my strings every 6 months or so, whenever I can.