Hey, i am starting new band, and we have one violin player, and i wanted to know some good +-rock songs to be involved whit violin. So any ideas? Thanks.
Anything off of Metallica's S&M album.

Of course, then you'll need a string bass, cello and viola as well.

EDIT: As well as horns, woodwinds, and extended percussion.

Dunlop 535Q Wah, Ibanez TS-9, EHX LBM
Mesa/Boogie Express 5:25
MXR 6-band EQ, Boss NS-2, Boss PS-5, MXR Phase 90, MXR Carbon Copy

GAS: Micro POG

Quote by Zugunruhe
this was the funniest thing ive seen in the pit for weeks.

^about me
Last edited by Cutlass_253 at Sep 16, 2008,
Bush - Glycerine
Quote by Fallon, Jones & Sage Francis

"By the way my name is Marcus. But if you like you can call me Sensei."

American Idol - or as I call it, the Gong Show Rip-Off

According to #Yeezuz, Kanye West is a god. As if I needed more reasons to be an atheist.
Oh...Durr....Dave Matthews Band. Almost all of their songs.
Quote by Fallon, Jones & Sage Francis

"By the way my name is Marcus. But if you like you can call me Sensei."

American Idol - or as I call it, the Gong Show Rip-Off

According to #Yeezuz, Kanye West is a god. As if I needed more reasons to be an atheist.
It's hard for me to say since I don't know your taste that well, but you could try some mid-70's King Crimson (Larks' Tongues In Aspic, Starless and Bible Black) and some Mahavishnu Orchestra if you think your violinist is good enough.
Ne Obliviscaris. Fantastic violinist and amazing music.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Quote by ohhey9040
It's hard for me to say since I don't know your taste that well, but you could try some mid-70's King Crimson (Larks' Tongues In Aspic, Starless and Bible Black) and some Mahavishnu Orchestra if you think your violinist is good enough.

I came in here to post Mahavishnu

Look at Abigail Washburn and the Sparrow Quartet.
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
Anything from John Mayall's Bare Wires.
"There's Jimmy Page, one of the biggest thieves of American black music to ever walk the Earth."
Quote by hendrixfanatic
Hurricane - Bob Dylan

+1

Quote by srvflood
Abigail Washburn and The Sparrow Quartet

+ even bigger 1 if your fiddler can even touch Casey Driessen's fiddling

How about some It's A Beautiful Day: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0J77CRMeTA&feature=related

Amazing
Most Flogging Molly
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did so. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." -Mark Twain
As an addon to this, does anyone know of any bands that heavily use cellos or other such instruments much like Apocalyptica? Preferablly in a genre that a cello would not ususally be found, i.e. metal/rap/hiphop so on and so forth.
Quote by Sammythedruggie
As an addon to this, does anyone know of any bands that heavily use cellos or other such instruments much like Apocalyptica? Preferablly in a genre that a cello would not ususally be found, i.e. metal/rap/hiphop so on and so forth.

Crooked Still uses some cello to make bluegrass/folk

This video has their new cellist who isn't quite as good as their last one and now they have a 5-string fiddler but God they are good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqqwC5y6SR4

And Abigail Washburn and The Sparrow quartet (Bela Fleck on banjo) has some incredible cello as well http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0O_34xe0S0

i dont know that you would really class Flogging Molly as any type of rock, but they have violin in most of their songs.
Charlie Daniels Band. You should play The Devil Went Down To Georgia
Quote by King Krapp
Once, I had just finished, and my dad knocks, walks in, and says "Wow, smells like chicken in here."
free pizza for life by ghost mice
Accepting no constraints from without, we countenanced none within ourselves, either, and found that the world opened before us like the petals of a rose. ~ CrimethInc.
Zox uses violins a lot. They make some excellent reggae-inspired rock
Arbor A410 Bass
Dinosaur 20 Watt Bass Amp
Line 6 Spider III 75 Watt
Squier Bullet

Excuse me sir, have you been thinking tonight?