yeah, i have a steel string acoustic, i went to clean the fretboard (removing the strings) forgetting i dont have a full set of strings to put back on.

the strings i do have are E, D and B.
i would prefer to not put them on my guitar and buy a new set of strings tomorrow (but i wont be able to put them on until about 9ish)

however, if this will damage my guitar, i obviously dont want to do this.
will leaving the strings off damage my guitar? if so, i shall put the three strings on now.

edit: oh... and does anyone know whats happening with the acoustic album?
Last edited by Winsbury at Sep 16, 2008,
you are not supposeed to --- but honestly i have not had a problem in the past with even up to a week.
Main Rigs
Guitars
Thineline tele with SD lil '59

Ibanez Artcore AM-73

Line 6 Variax 500

Effects

Line 6 X3 live
Digitech RP-500
Ibanez Weeping Demon

Amps
Roland JC-120
Rocktron VT-60
leave it unstringed until you get a full set, the tension would be akward and could warp your neck a tiny bit, not much but safety first right? also leaving it unstringed wont do anything to it
You should always have your guitar with strings on, the neck may bend. You can`t imagine how huge tension the strings have on the neck.

That`s why you should replace string by string, not take off all of them at the beginning.
Quote by kop4
You should always have your guitar with strings on, the neck may bend. You can`t imagine how huge tension the strings have on the neck.

That`s why you should replace string by string, not take off all of them at the beginning.

then how would you clean the fret board properly?

i was under the impression that if you did it quickly, it would be okay.
if i put on the three strings now, i wont be playing it (obviously) but at least there will be some tension. but it just seems a waste of three strings i could use as spares later... (however, id much rather waste the strings than my guitar )
If you plan on storing it like that for long, then you should loosen the truss rod. A day or two like that will be perfectly fine, though.

Edit: Don't waste the strings, I wouldn't.
Last edited by Vykk Draygo at Sep 16, 2008,
Anyone who tells you that uneven tension from missing strings is ignorant. The lowest 3 strings that carry most of the tension are all on one side of the guitar. Does the neck warp then? heck no. the tension in the lighter strings are nothing compared to the ones in the heavier 3 strings.

You can leave your strings off for a year or two and still not have a problem if your guitar is built properly. The truss rod in all modern guitars keeps the neck strong enough to withstand the pressure. It is perfectly fine to leave strings off. I take off all my strings at once every time I change strings because it allows me to clean the fretboard at the same time.

If anyone tells you that you need to keep at least one string on for pressure then tell them that you're on an acoustic, not an electric guitar. Acoustic guitars do not need constant pressure on the saddle in order to maintain their setup.

EDIT: Do not loosen the truss rod if leaving the strings off of the guitar. There is no reason for doing so. A truss rod is meant to adjust the bowing of the neck. Nothing else. It does not relieve tension or anything else. You can screw up your acoustic if you don't know what you're doing and crank the truss rod. Leave it alone.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Last edited by captivate at Sep 16, 2008,
No problem!

Quote by captivate
EDIT: Do not loosen the truss rod if leaving the strings off of the guitar. There is no reason for doing so. A truss rod is meant to adjust the bowing of the neck. Nothing else. It does not relieve tension or anything else. You can screw up your acoustic if you don't know what you're doing and crank the truss rod. Leave it alone.
Which would mean that it will warp from lack of tension if you leave it without strings for an extended period of time, correct? I have an example of this sitting in my closet (guitar I inherited). Then again, it isn't a modern guitar.

Ah well, sorry if I've spread false information.
Quote by Vykk Draygo
No problem!

Which would mean that it will warp from lack of tension if you leave it without strings for an extended period of time, correct? I have an example of this sitting in my closet (guitar I inherited). Then again, it isn't a modern guitar.

Ah well, sorry if I've spread false information.

how can anything warp from no tension? if you leave a plank of wood just sitting there then it's not going to warp for no reason. a truss rod does not add ANY tension to the neck. it only reinforces it from the pull of the strings. Just think of a truss rod like the spine of a human being. It does not add tension to the body. It only reinforces the body.

leaving strings on a guitar for a long period of time in standard tuning and not using/playing it , on the other hand, will definitely warp your neck if you leave it long enough. A "long period of time" being somewhere around 10 years.
Equipment:

Quote by captivate
how can anything warp from no tension? if you leave a plank of wood just sitting there then it's not going to warp for no reason. a truss rod does not add ANY tension to the neck. it only reinforces it from the pull of the strings. Just think of a truss rod like the spine of a human being. It does not add tension to the body. It only reinforces the body.

leaving strings on a guitar for a long period of time in standard tuning and not using/playing it , on the other hand, will definitely warp your neck if you leave it long enough. A "long period of time" being somewhere around 10 years.

cap, so play it each day or guitar die?
errr. my bad. i shouldnt have said that it will "definitely warp the neck". it's more like leaving strings on there at full tension for 10 years will make the guitar more prone to damage.

anyway... your guitar will be fine. use it or lose it. you dont have to play it EVERY day. just make sure it gets used every once in a while.
Equipment: