Is it any good?
Cause there's this guy that's trying to sell it, he tells me is a passive pickup so I imagine it's gonna be more versatile than the EMG 81
And there's this other guy who's selling an EMG 89 that can be coil splitted, Is it good?
I imagine that if I buy the 89 the best bet would be buying a 81
Ehh. If its a HZ its nothing special. Actives are more punchier and louder than Passive Pickups.
Quote by CraigKing
Ehh. If its a HZ its nothing special. Actives are more punchier and louder than Passive Pickups.

Talking about versatility
but they're also alot worse on cleans. ask to try them out, and if they say no, then find sound clips on the web.
Gear:
Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12
Custom Built Guitar (made it myself)
PRS SE Soapbar II Maple
Fender Stratacoustic (Stolen! )
Digitech RP200
Boss MT-2
Roland Microcube
I like my stuff!
I have the 81-89 setup in my schecter hellraiser. GREAT pickup, coil tapping option makes it much more useful. Cleans are very decent after you roll down the volume a tad, not gonna be fender cleans but definitely acceptable, especially for harder rock and metal. Heard the Hz's are the poor man's EMG's, never tried them out, though.
i found the HZ set in my guitar to be adequate... until i switched them out for a couple Dimarzio passives. then i found the HZ to be barely mediocre, and totally lifeless.
i would imagine that the HZs can't compare to the active EMGs.
Quote by tsukoyomimoon
Is it any good?
Cause there's this guy that's trying to sell it, he tells me is a passive pickup so I imagine it's gonna be more versatile than the EMG 81
And there's this other guy who's selling an EMG 89 that can be coil splitted, Is it good?
I imagine that if I buy the 89 the best bet would be buying a 81

Consider that alexi laiho of children of bodom,plays with a ESP with a passive EMG
^ he plays duncan blackouts now, which are active.
SPEAK OV ME NOT AS ONE
SPEAK OV ME NOT AS NONE
SPEAK OV ME NOT AT ALL
FOR I AM CONTINUAL
Quote by MAKETHEMSUFFER!
^ he plays duncan blackouts now, which are active.

From when? o_____O
Quote by ZaÐ
From when? o_____O

Yeah since when?

I am not looking for fender cleans just some nice versatility so I can play Rock along with metal
I think he has been playing them before they were even on sale to the public.
nah its a fairly recent switch, and he still does use some of his guitars with the EMG HZ 81 pup in the bridge from some of the recent stuff iv seen
Guitars
Custom Les Paul
Custom ZW Bullseye
Brunswick BD200CE
Epiphone ZW Custom Camo
Custom Fender Highway Tele Daphne Blue
Parker Nitefly M
Squier Classic Vibes Strat W/BKPs
Ibanez SZR720QM W/EMGs
I got the hzs not real good clean, not thick sounding, BUT excellant for van halen its got the thin sound of it and thats why i keep them in my guitar. Pardon my crappy grammer
ESP KH-202 emg-hz
ESP KH-502, duncan custom 5, duncan 59
1978 alverez acoustic
Peavey valveking 100 head
line 6 4-12 cabinet
EVH flange, wilson q-wah, boss chorus ensemble, dunlop brick power supply
Quote by ZaÐ
From when? o_____O

from earlier this year. he's in one of the ads for the pickup.
SPEAK OV ME NOT AS ONE
SPEAK OV ME NOT AS NONE
SPEAK OV ME NOT AT ALL
FOR I AM CONTINUAL
They suck.

You're better off with some Dimarzio EVO's
Very vesatile

Passive EMG's.. meh

Actives are good for metal.
They push an insane amount of output though
So you better have a good set up

Oh no.
No no no.
GOD NO.
Do NOT buy the HZ.
I suppose you could say they're more versatile than an 81.
But they sound like shit.
At least the 81 can do high gain sounds well.
The HZ does nothing.

If you want versatile, just get like...a Seymour Duncan JB & Jazz combo in your guitar.
Or a Dimarzio Super Distortion & Breed.
You're getting suckered into buying a shit pickup here, sir.

-Jayke
Member of the Laney Cult
laiho used a passive emg with an "emg afterburner" which is basically a 20db boost. so it's not "just" an emg-hz.
heard they sound like shit, but so does my Dikebucker, so i shouldnt talk lol

just whatever you do dont get the EMG Selects too, those are terribly discusting.
Quote by ZaÐ
Consider that alexi laiho of children of bodom,plays with a ESP with a passive EMG

He also has a rig that's probably $10,000 +. That will make a crappy pickup sound good. Period.

And he used blackouts since before they even came out, I know he used them to record blooddrunk, listen to the tone on that and tell me it's not 10x better...

TC, I'd suggest the EMG 81/89tw set before the HZ. The HZ are ok, but really don't cut it when compared to active EMG's, and IMO the clean on the 89tw when coil split is much better than the HZ.
i play both EMG 81 and HZ and i must say the 81 sounds much better than the HZ.
the HZ is adequate until you hear an 81

the cleans on the HZ are decent, but the 81 can get almost the same sound if you roll the volume knob down
Main gear
  • ESP Eclipse II Standard (BK Cold Sweat)
  • ESP Horizon NT-II Standard (SD '59/JB)
  • Marshall JVM 410 Combo