It's a nice way of saying you suck and you should pursue other careers.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
You're making your own sounds instead of anyone elses, and that doesn't include mixtures of other peoples' sounds; and you're exploring new ways of songwriting and musicianship that other people don't go near.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
I would guess it's differs from many genres and doesn't fit into one, and is experimental
Hull City A.F.C

Quote by Thrashtastic15
crunkym toy diuckl;ess ass ****igkjn ****** **** bitch ass pussy ****er douchecanoe ****** **** you s omn cnt you lieet le biutch
It experiments with music, doing things not done before.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by rabidguitarist
You're making your own sounds instead of anyone elses, and that doesn't include mixtures of other peoples' sounds; and you're exploring new ways of songwriting and musicianship that other people don't go near.

In other words, the term is overused.
Any sort of music that challenges a genre's stereotypes/sounds.

The group experiments by changing the genre's standards.
So unconventional time signatures, atypical instruments, instrument playing styles, lyrical voiceing/flow, etc.

So most rock groups write in 4/4 time, so an experimental group might try a song in 7/8 time
it sounds like acid and the color purple 0_o
Quote by innertom
So much down syndrome

remember UG Community? thought so.
Quote by synpet713192

Not overused, misused.

Quote by kaplac
So most rock groups write in 4/4 time, so an experimental group might try a song in 7/8 time

That's bollocks. My new album includes such family favourites as 15/16, 21/16, 5/8, 11/8 and 7/4, but I'm in no way experimental- I just used those because I wanted to.

It's unusual, but it's not experimental.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Last edited by rabidguitarist at Sep 16, 2008,
Quote by rabidguitarist

The guitarist with rabies took the words right out of my mouth
ohai little sig.
Quote by synpet713192

i agree the term is over used.
what it means when your music sounds experimental, is that you're doing it right and everyone else can pissoff.
bloody music consertives stop living in the dark ages.
Quote by rabidguitarist
Not overused, misused.

That's bollocks. My new album includes such family favourites as 15/16, 21/16, 5/8, 11/8 and 7/4, but I'm in no way experimental- I just used those because I wanted to.

It's unusual, but it's not experimental.

Oh right, that one. Well, both words apply really.

And 21/16? I'd really love to hear that time sig even if it wasn't in your music.
Quote by rabidguitarist

Erm... I agree.
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
Basically it's like those paintings where there's just a bunch of random colors thrown together to make art. Not very pretty but neither are the singers.
Quote by synpet713192
Oh right, that one. Well, both words apply really.

And 21/16? I'd really love to hear that time sig even if it wasn't in your music.

You could probably hunt that one down in a PTH song.

My composition teacher tells me I'm talented at making retarded time signatures sound natural. *swells with pride*
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Quote by rabidguitarist

My composition teacher tells me I'm talented at making retarded time signatures sound natural. *swells with pride*

*drools*
yeah you could probably find some crazy time sig in a PTH song.

If not, definitely check out Sikth (R.I.P)

they've got some crazy time sigs
Quote by innertom
So much down syndrome

remember UG Community? thought so.
experimental is PC for experiment gone wrong. otherwise they would have given that type of music a real name.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Its basically a term people use to describe their musical taste if they want to sound smart
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Wiggy = legend.

Devil's Advocate
Quote by rabidguitarist

Same here, a few of my band's riffs are in musical madness like 17/8 and 9/16 but it all sounds very simple
ohai little sig.
Quote by Demonikk
Same here, a few of my band's riffs are in musical madness like 17/8 and 9/16 but it all sounds very simple

9/16 isn't even a complex sig, it's just triple.

But kudos on the 17/8.

EDIT: wait... it's triple and compound. I think I checkmated myself there.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Last edited by rabidguitarist at Sep 16, 2008,
Quote by mikko 9119
*drools*
yeah you could probably find some crazy time sig in a PTH song.

If not, definitely check out Sikth (R.I.P)

they've got some crazy time sigs

Protest the hero and SikTh are my favorite bands. I just don't know if either has used 21/16 because they change time sigs every other measure.