I need to know what some of the pro's of media bias are. Some of the good things, and also some of the negative things of non-media bias.

This is for a class debate. Help me out?
R.I.P. S.R.V. dimebag ain't got nothin' on you.
R.I.P. Hendrix... nevermind, god can't die
If you want a full argument on this, have a look for the thread on 'Ahmed the dead terrorist'.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
If the media weren't bias against the Nazis, we would all have comb-overs and tiny moustaches.
Quote by hb15577
dude your not funny your an immature faggot, sig that
Pros - sometimes, it is hilarious to see the way they try to swing views.

Cons of an unbiased media - none.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by 006schecter
If the media weren't bias against the Nazis, we would all have comb-overs and tiny moustaches.

haha

Well, it makes a lot of more opinionated, ignorant dipshits. That's good, right?

oh that is great!

"'Evil men have no songs.' How is it that the Russians have songs?"
How about; Media bias helps polarize a public on certain issues to facilitate decision making processes?
You can sometimes get a more in-depth look at a viewpoint, however truthful it may be.
Quote by roger24
one time, when no-one was looking, i pooped in the hole of a accustic guitar.
Quote by Vagabond21
Most media is liberal brain-washing material anyways.

Here, have a copy of the Daily Mail.

Or the Sun. Or The Telegraph. Or the Express.
Last edited by Jackolas at Sep 16, 2008,
The Pros Of Media Bias and The Cons Of Non-Media Bias? Isn't that argument bias(ed?) towards media bias?
media bias isn't a good thing or a bad thing, it's just a thing, and we have to deal with it. I for one try to follow as many different media sources as possible, from Rush Limbaugh to Jon Stewart.

If you ask me, a pro of today's "liberal" mainstream media is that they are exposing a large number of Americans to the fact (it seems obvious to me) that John McCain is a hypocritical lying piece of crap and Sarah Palin doesn't really know anything about anything.

But that's just my opinion. Go form your own.
Quote by Vagabond21

Yeah, like the daily mail.

Oh wait, it isn't.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by aaciseric
The Pros Of Media Bias and The Cons Of Non-Media Bias? Isn't that argument bias(ed?) towards media bias?

Philosophy alert.
Quote by Vagabond21

Quote by Jackolas

Quote by rabidguitarist

Oh wait, it isn't.

I think we may be talking about two different countries/medias...
Quote by guitar/bass76

The UK is blessed with much more liberal news and honest media than America (Fact.)

Thank you BBC, Independent, Guardian and Observer.
I think this thread has gotten a bit off subject
I don't disagree though that American media is heavily biased - but it seems that there's always an extremist media outlet no matter which extreme you're talking about or which country you're in. There's a flux back and forth as to which way the media leans but I don't believe any media is truly unbiased.
Let's say a non-biased newspaper reports on the passing of a bill. The paper would report extensively on the content of the bill in question and perhaps add a few quotes from different parties expressing their opinions on it, a couple of positive and negative ones.

Another newspaper also reports on it, this paper however is biased against the bill. It would briefly explain the content and magnify its flaws, using quotes stricly from party A (who are against the bill as well). It would leave out the positive effects leaving more room for negative opinions on the subject.

Then another newspaper is biased towards liking the bill, I think you can fill that one in yourself.

My point is that papers with a side to defend will give readers much more information on that side. If you read two papers with different biases you will get to know more than when you read two neutral papers.
Quote by rabidguitarist

Oh wait, it isn't.

Hey now, I didn't say ALL media is left wing biased.

Democrats don't bother me I just hate it when all I see is their point of view.
Quote by Vagabond21
Hey now, I didn't say ALL media is left wing biased.

Democrats don't bother me I just hate it when all I see is their point of view.

Doesn't appear so much over here, it tends to be the right wing papers/media that show the heaviest forms of bias.
Quote by Craigo
Doesn't appear so much over here, it tends to be the right wing papers/media that show the heaviest forms of bias.

Yea, and the Guardian isn't full of sh*t.
Quote by MightyAl
Yea, and the Guardian isn't full of sh*t.

Compared to the Mail, no.

Personally, I like the Times.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack

The Guardian is just full of a different smelling sh*t.
It takes fewer long words to show a right wing bias, which is why tabloids tend to lean that way.
Quote by frankv
Hey, shouldn't we be doing this guy's homework?

We are. Just doing it badly.
Quote by frankv
He's going to fail because of you guys.
No, he's going to fail because he's delegated this to some people who don't give a crap about what grade the work recieves.
Well, if you watch Channel 4 News, you'd honestly believe that the entire World was Democrat. That's not too good.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Quote by MightyAl
No, he's going to fail because he's delegated this to some people who don't give a crap about what grade the work recieves.

Very True.
Quote by guitar/bass76
america's media is pretty damn conservative as well

except for 'liberals" like keith olbermann and bill maher

and let's face it, modern liberals and conservatives are two sides of the same coin

you only hear about "liberal bias" because reactionary blowhards wanna play the ref as they say, you complain enough and soon they'll have to swing stories your way, in order to seem "fair"

..s'all a crock
Ok heres what to do

contention 1: American media is biased because it is run by American people. What is reported is what we want reported. Therefore any bias that is held by the media only increases its value to americans.
Contention 2: A non biased media would be regulated by the government... We do not want ot live in a totalitarian state therefore we have a biased media.
Contention 3: The media as a whole is not totally biased in only one direction. Through the many voices, the truth wins out in the end because the giant news corps. are all biased, jsut not in the same way. So you have an avceraging out of info, and therefore have a more holistic view because you catch the extremes as well as the moderate news. <<<very good argument. If it was jsut moderate newsmakers, you wouldn't hear extremes. having many differently biased newsmakers creates a more holistic view of the world
Quote by ckellingc
You learn a LOT about the liberal agenda I guess. That and most news channels have become Obamafest 08
lol @ this guy's favorite band being rage against the machine
Quote by Jackolas

+1
Honestly, when people say "liberal media" I get so f*cking confused. I've yet to see a "liberal" media group in the mainstream. Pundits don't count.
Quote by gm jack

Agreed, there's quite a mix of opinions in there, the reporting is pretty good, too, and the columns are worth reading, well some are. But James May writes for the Telegraph, so I read both papers.

Still, The Mail and The Guardian are on par when it comes to bias really.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too