Hey guys, Ive got plans to add a Seymour Duncan or EMG musicman Pickup to a Pbass on next to the bridge.
Right now Ive got my eyes on the Squire Standard Pbass Special, because it has the electronics for 2 pickups and all i have to do is widen the J pickup cavity.
However Im not too sure about teh quality and tone of the squire standards. Ive considered the VM Pbass, but Im not too keen on Adding a new Pup cavity myself and adding a pup selector, but i will get it if the squire stand special tone is crap.
Any ideas guys? and any other suggestions? I need a cheap Pbass of good quality to mod.

EDIT: Just want to tell everyone, my Ashdown ABM Combo has arrived!!!! Sounds AMAZING!!!
Congratulations on your ABM, hope you enjoy it.

I would definitely go for the VM. The amount advantages it has over the Standard are astronomical. And if you too worried about mucking it up, then get it installed professionally.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
special if you want the J pup, but VM all the way if else, great bass
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
I would go with th p bass special if its the one i had its great. And if you get it for customising it means you didnt waste as much money if something goes wrong.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Unless you've got easy access to a router, or someone who does, I'd reconsider a different bass, preferably one with an MM pickup in it already.

If yes, then I'd go for the VM. If you're going to route a new whole anyway, you might as well do it on a better bass.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Honesty, if you do plann on modding it I might suggest an SX, like:

http://www.rondomusic.com/product828.html

130 bucks, half the price of the Squire. and with a nice alder body. You want to put in a pick-up anyway, now you can even get a better p-pup as well for the same budget, which get's rid of the SX's major flaw.

Beware of the orange necks though.
Quote by Nutter_101
Unless you've got easy access to a router, or someone who does, I'd reconsider a different bass, preferably one with an MM pickup in it already.

If yes, then I'd go for the VM. If you're going to route a new whole anyway, you might as well do it on a better bass.

I dont have a router, what im gona do is take the body into school and use the DT facilities to somehow chisle out a cavity for the MM pickup. With the Special, all i have to do is make the cavity bigger, so the VM will be alot more work.
If i get a bass with a MM Pickup in it already, i would put on an extra p bass pickup.
And one more thing, would MM necks fit on fenders?
get the squier, youll be surprised at how it plays and how it sounds. i have one. and actually i think i might do something similar, maybe original vintage fender pups instead, seeing as i already have a musicman sterling. but yea, go for it. and lemme know how it turns out coz im really quite interested now.
My red is so confident that he flashes trophies of war and
ribbons of euphoria
BaCH makes some cheap P-with-MM-bass if I'm not mistaken.

The prices on their site are in Czech currency, but they ship internationally if i'm not mistaken (and since they're part of the EU, you won't have to pay import tax).

edit: Here's a link: http://www.bachmusik.com/en/p101152/bach-pj-na/
Maruszczyk Frog 6 custom -> TC electronic Polytune-> Markbass CMD mini 121 + Markbass traveler 121H

Playing bass in Bamboo Avenue (Like us on facebook! )
EP out now!
Quote by elliott FTW
get the squier, youll be surprised at how it plays and how it sounds. i have one. and actually i think i might do something similar, maybe original vintage fender pups instead, seeing as i already have a musicman sterling. but yea, go for it. and lemme know how it turns out coz im really quite interested now.

IM choosing between two squires! but ill let you know, it might take a while cos i wont be getting the stuff till around novemberish, but im doing the research now XD
Quote by sam_ofzo
BaCH makes some cheap P-with-MM-bass if I'm not mistaken.

The prices on their site are in Czech currency, but they ship internationally if i'm not mistaken (and since they're part of the EU, you won't have to pay import tax).

edit: Here's a link: http://www.bachmusik.com/en/p101152/bach-pj-na/

Thats exactly what im going to attempt. How much is that in £?
okay i would highly recomend you look for a used mexi P-bass you can allways find at least one for the same price as a new squire and there really is no comparison to the squires because the fenders are so much better.

just as a reminder. if you go with the EMG bridge pickup you would have to buy a new neck pickup too and that one would have to be EMG as well. unless you go for EMG-HZ in wich case i would not advise that because there are so many better options for passive pickups.

if you decide to go for the EMG pickups it comes with evrything you need in the box to wire it for 2 pickups and it even comes with new pots.

fender has a model bass out already that haz MM style humberckers in the bridge already it might just be worth your while to just buy that instead of paying all the extra money for the upgrades on way inferior bass that you are platforming off of.
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
Quote by jb_reborn
I dont have a router, what im gona do is take the body into school and use the DT facilities to somehow chisle out a cavity for the MM pickup. With the Special, all i have to do is make the cavity bigger, so the VM will be alot more work.
If i get a bass with a MM Pickup in it already, i would put on an extra p bass pickup.
And one more thing, would MM necks fit on fenders?

No, a MM neck won't fit on a Fender. It's a 21 fret neck, so you'd have to change the bridge position to acommodate it, and you'd have to widen the neck hole perfectly. Really is not worth it.

I meant, find a Pbass w/MM pickup. So it's already done. Without a router, it's going to be tricky. You're going to have to sand down to the wood to route the new hole as well btw, so you'd have to refinish it at the end.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Emergancy Exit
okay i would highly recomend you look for a used mexi P-bass you can allways find at least one for the same price as a new squire and there really is no comparison to the squires because the fenders are so much better.

just as a reminder. if you go with the EMG bridge pickup you would have to buy a new neck pickup too and that one would have to be EMG as well. unless you go for EMG-HZ in wich case i would not advise that because there are so many better options for passive pickups.

if you decide to go for the EMG pickups it comes with evrything you need in the box to wire it for 2 pickups and it even comes with new pots.

fender has a model bass out already that haz MM style humberckers in the bridge already it might just be worth your while to just buy that instead of paying all the extra money for the upgrades on way inferior bass that you are platforming off of.

According to this forum, the VM squires are better than MIM fenders.
and ive got £300 maximum, so the cheaper the better.
I've got nothing much to contribute, but I love the bridge humbucker sound from the old Dlx MIA P. You going passive or active?

*has deja vu* seriously I'm sure I've already posted this
Im gona go passive :P ive had enough of active basses, really want a change lol.
Deja vu? this is the first time youve posted mate.
Quote by jb_reborn
Thats exactly what im going to attempt. How much is that in £?

It's 202.24£ + some shipping probably.
There might be some cheaper version on their site, but I haven't checked that yet.
Maruszczyk Frog 6 custom -> TC electronic Polytune-> Markbass CMD mini 121 + Markbass traveler 121H

Playing bass in Bamboo Avenue (Like us on facebook! )
EP out now!
I dont want to start a new thread.
Im still thinking about modding a p-bass, and im looking around for replacement bodies, but i cant find a rear rooted body for PJ Pickups.
Anyone know where i could find one?
cheers