How would I wire this so I could switch between the two with a switch? Please help. Is there just a simple way for all active pickups?
Standard Strat
Jackson WRMG
Parker DF724

Axe-Fx Standard
Carvin DCM1000L

Mesa Trad. Slant Recto 4x12 (UK V30s)
Custom Horiz. 2x12 (Commonwealth 12s)
Thats pretty complex, are you talking about having active pickups, and running them passive as well as active, or having 1 active pup and one passive pup?

Basically you have to run two circuits, one with passive electronics (500K pots, mono jack) the other with active electronics (25k pot, stereo jack)

and to switch between them would mean that the passive controls are working while the actives do nothing at all, and then switch to the other circuit and active controls would work while the passives did nothing, which is twice as many control knobs.

Doesnt really sound like a good idea...

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by Absent Mind
Thats pretty complex, are you talking about having active pickups, and running them passive as well as active, or having 1 active pup and one passive pup?

Basically you have to run two circuits, one with passive electronics (500K pots, mono jack) the other with active electronics (25k pot, stereo jack)

and to switch between them would mean that the passive controls are working while the actives do nothing at all, and then switch to the other circuit and active controls would work while the passives did nothing, which is twice as many control knobs.

Doesnt really sound like a good idea...

Hmm, alright. Thanks anyway.
Standard Strat
Jackson WRMG
Parker DF724

Axe-Fx Standard
Carvin DCM1000L

Use this as a basis... You'll only need 1 stereo jack. I drew this a long time ago for someone on here, but the principle is the same.

SPDT for switching between active/passive.
SPDT for turning on/off the passive pup (use 3-way toggle for 2 passive pups).
3-way toggle for switching between 2 active pups (use SPDT for 1 active pup).
All signals go to the jack tip.
All gnds go to the jack sleeve.
Battery (-) go to the jack ring.
Battery (+) goes to the active pup(s) (+).
For 1 active and 1 passive, use SPDT switches for each.
Use whatever pots are needed, the 100k was for an Invader or something.
For a master tone, run a wire from the pot wiper (lug 2) to the pole (lug 2) of the "active/passive" switch and a .022mF or .047mF cap to pot lug 1 and gnd.
Since the pups are in a seperate circuit, you can run them in any combo you want; all on, active(s) only, passive(s) only, or 1 active, 1 passive.
The "SPST" switch is mis-labled. It should be SPDT.

Enjoy!
Last edited by Invader Jim at Sep 17, 2008,
EMG actives cant be switched on and off. They are active or dont work to well. You could build a small booster to go inside your guitar that would boost your signal it could be turned on or off. If put betwen the pots and jack wouldnt need 2 sets of pots. Zappa had this sort of set up his had EQ and dont know if they were switchable or not. There are some active pickups that can be switched on and off.
Wow, thank-you.
Standard Strat
Jackson WRMG
Parker DF724

Axe-Fx Standard
Carvin DCM1000L