Hi, I just started playing guitar a couple days ago. On the song Smells Like Teen Spirit, I can do everything except the intro and chorus, because I always mess up the power chords (either do them too slow or too fast and I hit extra strings)
Any help?
keep practicing.
'79 Fender Deluxe Reverb
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Fender Stratocaster
Ibanez TS9, Keeley TS9 Baked Mod
Zendrive

LOOOOOK INTOOOOOO THEEEE PICCCTUREEEEEEEEE

Member of UG's Gain Whores - pm gpderek09 to join
Quote by valdean
It will come with time.
Try focusing on other songs too.

do you have any easy songs to suggest?
You're also going to want to learn to only hit the strings you want to play. So try and learn to only hit the thickest two or three strings, it'll help a lot.

Dunlop 535Q Wah, Ibanez TS-9, EHX LBM
Mesa/Boogie Express 5:25
MXR 6-band EQ, Boss NS-2, Boss PS-5, MXR Phase 90, MXR Carbon Copy

GAS: Micro POG

Quote by Zugunruhe
this was the funniest thing ive seen in the pit for weeks.

^about me
use the bottom of your fretting fingers to mute the extra strings and your middle finger to mute the 6th/low E when your playing power chords on the 5th/A string
if you can do that you can play as fast as you want without making any unwanted noise
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by sirgaratis
do you have any easy songs to suggest?

There's a whole thread on it. Search it, and I think it's stickied somewhere too.

Dunlop 535Q Wah, Ibanez TS-9, EHX LBM
Mesa/Boogie Express 5:25
MXR 6-band EQ, Boss NS-2, Boss PS-5, MXR Phase 90, MXR Carbon Copy

GAS: Micro POG

Quote by Zugunruhe
this was the funniest thing ive seen in the pit for weeks.

^about me
Last edited by Cutlass_253 at Sep 16, 2008,
Quote by Cutlass_253
There's a whole thread on it. Search it, and I think it's stickied somewhere too.

Sure but it's not specific to power chords.

A really easy one is Glycerine by Bush, it's 3 power chords, kinda slow, and real easy to do. It moves between having the root on the 6th and 5th strings so gives you some practice moving like that. Good song, give it a shot.
Start with something easier, contrary to popular belief that's not a suitable song for an absolute beginner to try and learn. To be honest I'd forget trying songs completely for few weeks, just spend some time learning some basic chords and getting used to the guitar. When you can change between a few chords and strum relatively accurately and in time then you'll be ready for some songs.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Start with something easier, contrary to popular belief that's not a suitable song for an absolute beginner to try and learn. To be honest I'd forget trying songs completely for few weeks, just spend some time learning some basic chords and getting used to the guitar. When you can change between a few chords and strum relatively accurately and in time then you'll be ready for some songs.

do you have any suggestions for a beginner-beginner song? and please don't refer me to the beginner's song thread lol
Lots and lots of people hate blink-182, and if you're one of them then just ignore me, but the first song I ever learned was Dammit. It's got a easy and fun riff, and 4 simple power chords.

Also, for power chords, the first time I learned Dammit, I only played two-note power chords and that made it easier for me. Now when I play it I play it with three-note power chords.
Last edited by ndschroede23 at Sep 18, 2008,
Learn easy three or four chord songs like

Bob Dylan's - Knocking on Heaven's door
Jimmy Buffett - Margaritaville
The Animals - House of the Rising Sun
wild thing by the troggs is easy, as is blitzkrieg bop by the ramones . those were like the first songs i learned on guitar, and they are really easy.
Peavy Cirrus 5 string
Squire Jazz bass
Berhinger ultrabass head, 450 cabinet
Resident Marvel Comic expert of the Bass Militia, PM Dinkydaisy to join
]My band's myspace
http://www.myspace.com/jenovamusicpage
power chhords are in the same finger formation so just play like green day songs and those are easy power chords or just try the power chord part and dont do the rest of the song and start slow
Practise lots.
It's one of those things where you just need to practise moving the chords around as much as possible.
One song that helped me a few years ago was American Idiot by Green Day, and Burn Out, also by Green Day.
Simple pop-punk stuff will help with that a lot, even if you don't like it.
Member of the Laney Cult
try playing metallica songs slowly and build up the speed over time, sure helped me a lot. There are a few things that can help you do them a lot easier. I (as I'm still pretty new to guitar) am having trouble with sliding power chords in quick riffs etc. without moving my fingers or being unable to move my hand fast enough to the next point due to the tension. I really find Metallica's music helps a lot with this.

Alternatively, play punk songs if that's what your into.
Quote by Cutlass_253
You're also going to want to learn to only hit the strings you want to play. So try and learn to only hit the thickest two or three strings, it'll help a lot.

I disagree. Mute out the strings you don't want to ring, but don't focus on what strings to hit. It'll give you a better attack.
Thomas hopes to not have offended anyone with this post. No responsibility whatsoever is taken for any spelling or grammar mistakes, should there be any.

last.fm
Quote by Samothomas
I disagree. Mute out the strings you don't want to ring, but don't focus on what strings to hit. It'll give you a better attack.

That's retarded, accuracy is everything when it comes to playing the guitar. Naturally there'll be times when you want to play a little loose because you want that sound or feel but the ability to hit the strings you want, when you want is just about the most basic, fundamental skill you need to develop. Without that you'll never be able to do anything.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com