But what keys can I solo in? I know obviously that if the song is in A, then I can play notes on the A scale, but can I solo in any other keys, I heard something about like a relative minor or something but I'm not sure.
Learn music theory....

but lets say you're playing in C major, the notes are CDEFGAB

but if you play from the 6th note, A, up the scale you will play ABCDEFG

which is the A minor scale

therefore A minor is a relative minor of C major (and C major is the relative major of A minor)
and is also the 6th MODE of the C major scale
meaning that every minor scale is actually a different a different notes major scale, and vice versa

learn all the modes of the major scale

for example if you play the C major scale with the first note being D, (DEFGABC), you are playing the D dorian mode

every mode has a name, Major scale = ionian, and minor = aeolian, and there are many in between them so learn them all
relative minors/modes like he said^
by A scale i assume you mean A major scale, you can also use minor and the pentatonic scales
im not much into theory but learning all this stuff really helps
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
I really hope that the idea that theory "limits you" as a guitarist will be broken someday.

It doesn't tell you what you can and cant do, it only helps you understand what the result will be and helps you achieve that result faster.

Not to mention its vital if you want to be able to communicate with people playing other instruments.
Quote by insatyrguitar
Learn music theory....

but lets say you're playing in C major, the notes are CDEFGAB

but if you play from the 6th note, A, up the scale you will play ABCDEFG

which is the A minor scale

therefore A minor is a relative minor of C major (and C major is the relative major of A minor)
and is also the 6th MODE of the C major scale
meaning that every minor scale is actually a different a different notes major scale, and vice versa

learn all the modes of the major scale

for example if you play the C major scale with the first note being D, (DEFGABC), you are playing the D dorian mode

every mode has a name, Major scale = ionian, and minor = aeolian, and there are many in between them so learn them all

That's not how it works....if you're playing in the key of C major then those notes will always be C major. They only become the relative scales if the tonal centre or key changes....but as long as the song resolves to C major the scale stays C major.

Modes aren't particularly important, and they're best ignored completely until someone has a decent grasp of the major scale.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Modes aren't particularly important

Only if you want to be able to play nicely over chord changes in key.... but hey, maybe that's not your thing.
you can do whatever you want, it's just whether or not it sounds good.
"Bitches ain't shit but hoes and tricks."
- Dr. Dre
Quote by insatyrguitar
Only if you want to be able to play nicely over chord changes in key.... but hey, maybe that's not your thing.

you can do that perfectly well without learning jack about modes.

For some reason they get bandied about like some holy grail of guitar theory and they're nothing of the sort....I think half the people who thi say they use them don't even understand them properly.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com