Title says it all.

Mainly I've only noticed minor differences like vocals.
-----
Currently using:
B.C. Rich NJ Deluxe Jr. V
B.C. Rich Revenge Warlock
Bugera 6262 212 120 Watt amp :

Coming soon:
B.C. Rich Pro X Mockingbird Hardtail
It's really only this forum that seperates them.

But, to me, metalcore has a completely different feel and texture...it just doesn't sound right* to me.

*Footnote: Right = Metal here.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Screamo, I-Hate-My-Parents vocals. Other than that, it is the lyrical themes. Metal is about standing up for yourself and fighting against what you think is wrong. Metalcore is about whining and crying about it.
Quote by slayer1516
Screamo, I-Hate-My-Parents vocals. Other than that, it is the lyrical themes. Metal is about standing up for yourself and fighting against what you think is wrong. Metalcore is about whining and crying about it.

Emm.... No.

Ignore this person.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
after you listen to metal for a while, you'll be able to tell "true" metal from metalcore fairly easily, as Slay said, it just feels different

vocal stylings and chugging breakdowns are some fairly distict differences though (but there are exceptions of course)
Quote by Dust_and_Guilt
Mostly screaming, "cliché" harmonies, and breakdowns.

The breakdown arguement should never be taken to the front.

Slam death metal bands are quasi-breakdowns. Brutal Death Metal has loads of them, and most old school death metal has breakdowns.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory