I'm pretty sure I pick like this, but I need some videos to be sure, I know some were floating around so links would be awesome.
Originally posted by TapMaster
If you break a JEM you know your going to go to hell when you die

Only member of the 'This is too immature for me' club.
that's oscillation? it seems to me just like any of the other picking i've ever seen :s
not counting with marty friedman or reb beach ahah
What exactly is oscillation picking?
SPAM
Stock Gibson Pickups from a 2005 V, I think they're a 498T and 500T set FS/FT
Duncan Distortion (regular spaced) FS

Looking for: an acoustic, recording gear, or $
Possibly the thing I least want to describe.

Short answer : Not worth finding out about.
Long answer : Search for the technique thread in the shred forum. Read vast amounts of it.
Quote by RCalisto
that's oscillation? it seems to me just like any of the other picking i've ever seen :s
not counting with marty friedman or reb beach ahah

yeah but dude its like...... OSCILLATION picking, I mean oscil-freakin-ation picking. A picking style with a name like that can only be played by the masters.

lol I'm joking ofcourse

but seriously I think alot of people are interested in it because of the name more than any benefits it may bring.
shred is gaudy music
i think that's why people keep bashing economy picking too.

'aww economy picking is baad! it's the picking of the greedy! ohhh no. i don't want to have anything to do with it!'
Simply put, oscillation picking refers to the motion, the wrist makes, typically involving a bit more of an up and down motion as opposed to a side to side motion. However, true oscillation is virtually un-seen in guitar, as it's typically combined with a bit of rotation from the wrist.

Regarding the naming thing, if everyone started calling picking with the side to side motion Translation picking (it is called this, but you never really hear it), everyone would go Wow, what's that?....
Quote by RCalisto
i think that's why people keep bashing economy picking too.

'aww economy picking is baad! it's the picking of the greedy! ohhh no. i don't want to have anything to do with it!'

lol exactly.

" I wanna do it the most difficult and impressive way possible !! "
Quote by TheShred201
, if everyone started calling picking with the side to side motion Translation picking (it is called this, but you never really hear it), everyone would go Wow, what's that?....

exactly
shred is gaudy music
imagine you knock on a table with the second joints of your fingers, but you go from one side to the other as you do, so you hand makes a V movement with the point being where you knock on the table, the string being through that point.

I have to say I tried it for a while a couple of years ago and didn't like it, but having retried it the improvement is IMMENSE. The actual control you have other your pick goes through the roof, I would seriously recommend it.

This bearing in mind I am a horrid picker!

Last edited by public property at Sep 21, 2008,
Quote by public property

I have to say I tried it for a while a couple of years ago and didn't like it, but having retried it the improvement is IMMENSE. The actual control you have other your pick goes through the roof, I would seriously recommend it.

This bearing in mind I am a horrid picker!

so are you a horrid picker..... or do you have immense control?
shred is gaudy music
I don't know, I noticed an immediate improvement in the clarity of my picking, because the position change allowed me more flexablity on my pick attack.

After getting into Shawn Lane I HAD to change to oscillation picking of course lol. But, I found I already played like that. So I cant really say if its better than playing using translatory or rotation picking or whatever their fangled names are.....all I do know is that it doesnt make the technique easier. I really should dedicate more time to my picking as I am pretty horrid also. The majority of my technique is in my left hand and is an aspect of my playing I hate not having up to scratch...but like everything else on the guitar...we get there eventually haha
Andy