Sorry for posting so many threads recently but im so confused about what to buy and i dont want to buy the wrong one. Okay, I could buy a used Peavey XXX on ebay for around 300-400$. And maybe if it doesnt sound as good as i want i'll buy some distortion or OD pedals. My second choice is to buy a Peavey Valveking 212 from eBay for around 500. Which should I buy?

I play metal and hard rock. Like Pantera all the way to Nirvana. Oh, and I need an amp that is louder that a Line 6 Spider III 75w and sounds better when its cranked.
Thanks.
Quote by ClementWave
XXX > Valveking, the valvekings (imo) are sorry excuses for valve amps.

Well my good sir, that's your OPINION.

VKs are good, but if you can get that XXX for less than the peavey... what the hell are you doing on UG?!
O O

___
if you up your budget a bit you could get a used JSX which imo is better then both of those
Gear:

MIA Fender Stratocaster
Jackson Kelly KE3
Ibanez Universe
Marshall JCM 800
Orange Jim Root Terror
Mesa 2x12
Ovation Custom Balladeer
pedals and such in profile
Quote by Dimebag Bill
Oh, and I need an amp that is louder that a Line 6 Spider III 75w and sounds better when its cranked.
Thanks.

Just get any other amp
Quote by K!!LsWiTcH
Just get any other amp

Dude, I totally agree. I think I could buy either amps im considering and I wouldnt be unhappy about how they sound. Considering how long I've had to play with a Spider III.
Quote by Dimebag Bill
Dude, I totally agree. I think I could buy either amps im considering and I wouldnt be unhappy about how they sound. Considering how long I've had to play with a Spider III.

Now that's something ANYONE will agree with.

Even though many say a Valveking isn't that great of an amp, before i modded it, and it was just stock, it was STILL an awesome step up from my Spider III. Which i'm selling this weekend!!! W00T!!!!
O O

___
i liked the xxx i tried, and it gets pretty high gain (i tried the head version though, not certain if the combo is identical). i'd definitely take one over a valveking, certainly for heavier stuff.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
XXX hands down.
I too, think valvekings sound pretty mediocre.
And after a speaker and a tube upgrade, you could have bought a better amp.
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
That was me

and yeah Dimebag Bill - we don't mind helping but you sure have a lot of threads out there on basically the same topic. So if I didn't recognize you or came in here for the first time, I would be doing one of these numbers:

budget: ($600)
new or used
home or gig
music style
current gear
etc

Get that JSX!

And for the Valveking haters - I'm going to keep posting this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CI117wHoKQ

and this:
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Sadistic+sponge/music/
Really the XXX is an awesome amp is not even in the same league as the VK, its honestly right up there with the mesa boogies as far as tone and brutalness is concerend, they are just not not as versatile. But your wanting a rocker amp, so really a Triple XXX would be great for you. And Honestly compared to the JSX, the JSX only silghtly more versatile, the tone is still all in the XXX. Honestly I really like the XXX better for Rythm than the JSX, but the JSX is better for lead work. Both are awesome amps can do ethier rythm or lead work, but both have thier pros and cons.
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
Quote by mcrfobtai
It always is you or gregs

I wasn't sure, I've posted more used gear lately that gets ignored. One guy sent me a friend request and said I found him the perfect amp. It's nice to hear at least one of our efforts wasn't in vain.

TS - if you think you are going to get that XXX for $300 on e-bay - you have highly underestimated my bidding abilities!!! JK - I'm all set for now. Good luck. Don't even think about a $500 VK - please...

Edit: NOT a VK hater, (check any posts I have made) I just think there are better options at $500 FTR.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Sep 17, 2008,
Quote by gregs1020
I wasn't sure, I've posted more used gear lately that gets ignored. One guy sent me a friend request and said I found him the perfect amp. It's nice to hear at least one of our efforts wasn't in vain.

TS - if you think you are going to get that XXX for $300 on e-bay - you have highly underestimated my bidding abilities!!! JK - I'm all set for now. Good luck. Don't even think about a $500 VK - please...

Edit: NOT a VK hater, (check any posts I have made) I just think there are better options at $500 FTR.

for all i know it was you bro...they all start to bleed together after a while. Now that I think about it, I was probably thinking of that Ultra 120 down in Atlanta for $300 or whatever.

And yeah, it's scarry how many great amps are out there at affordable prices and better quality. And don't worry about the VK hate....I'm used to it

You CAN find better for $400-$500 and that is the point! For me it is what it is and is better then the Spider I was going to get. plus, i've learned so much about tubes and tricks and speakers and tone that I'll be much more preparred for next purchase then I was 6 months ago

Oh....Dimebag Bill - I didn't realize Cinnci was 4 hours. Keep looking bro and start a new thread if you find something. Later.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Sep 17, 2008,