hey im in high school, and i need to do a science fair project. My teacher told me to do it on something i like, so i picked the guitar. but, i dont know what there is to do. The project has to be based on the scientific method- hypothesis, research, expirement etc. so i need something to expiriment and collect data from. also, IT CANNOT BE WHY OR HOW THINGS WORK. please post suggestions, thank you
Last edited by chrispfried at Sep 17, 2008,
i have actually found something, find out which weight of gauge of guitar string would give the purest tones, please tell me if this is a good idea and please post others, thanks
You could talk about some of the scientific aspects behind techniques like string bending, how the pitch raises.

EDIT: Better idea, research the structure of acoustic guitars (both classical and modern) and how the sound resonates and whatnot.
Last edited by one vision at Sep 16, 2008,
what about how the magnetic pickups work, that is science
Gear

Guitars - Fender Deluxe Player Strat, Squier Affinity Strat, Ibanez TCM - 50

Amps - Fender Blues Deluxe

Effects - Boss ME-50

Other - Banjo

Jazz Is not music, Its a way of life
Quote by chrispfried
i have actually found something, find out which weight of gauge of guitar string would give the purest tones, please tell me if this is a good idea and please post others, thanks

tone is personal and subjective, i wouldn't recommend this. however music and even guitar construction is largely mathematically based. i'm not sure what exactly you could posit that hasn't already been questioned.
why not do it on guitar effect pedals and their affect on sound. You could change out the resistors out of a distortion pedal and then figure out like an electrical read out of the sound, or even of just the signal, and you could create control and experimental groups doing this. i dunno, that would be one of my ideas....
Quote by fade177
why not do it on guitar effect pedals and their affect on sound. You could change out the resistors out of a distortion pedal and then figure out like an electrical read out of the sound, or even of just the signal, and you could create control and experimental groups doing this. i dunno, that would be one of my ideas....
The people who design effects pedals often have doctorates in Electrical Engineering...
How room acoustics work?
Neon Neon Neon Neon Neon Black

UG's #1 anti-active advocate

Gear:
Engl Powerball
Carvin DC727
Schecter C-1+
Line 6 Flextone 3
Line 6 M9
fade has a good idea

also I was thinking it would be cool if you could make your own pickup, may not sound that good but if you could make one that works it would be pretty cool and plenty of science behind that stuff, idk how much you know but you could get into ampere's equations if I remember correctly. Induced circuits and stuff + magnetics + make connections between electronics and magnetics.

and you could wax pot if it you want, wire it up, ground it to your guitar, make a little stand that will hold it above your strings (if you were to lay the guitar on a table) and show that it really works. i wish i thought of this kind of stuff in high school
all of these sound to complicated to me
just do something easy, like
why each string raises pitch as they get smaller.
My Gear:
Fender Custom Shop Time Machine 1956 relic
plus accessories
Your position and your relationship with music has to be one from the inside. - John Frusciante
and yes, my avatar is weezy, what?
I think a project on the overtone series might get you some good marks, and be really interesting.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
^ well the answer is elixirs seriously tho, they sound f#cking great. although i see what you're saying. i was assuming "purest tone" to mean "which one sounds the best to your ear"
yeah these are good ideas, but its not just that they have science, they have to include expiriments, not just making something, and they can be already questioned and done before. i like the ones about the pitch bending and stuff like that, i think those would work, although i want to make a pickup, it would be awesome