Page 1 of 2
I went to my local music shop and asked the guy what he thought about GFS pickups.

he said he hasn't been real impressed and introduced me to lindy fralin pickups (150 dollars more).

I wanted to get everyones thoughts on GFS pickups.
I'm currently looking at GFS Vintage.

thanks!
Some of their upper end pups are nice. I had a set of Texas Specials in my strat for a while. Depends on what kind of guitar you have right now, and you're amp at the moment.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Meh. They're just about the only pickups in their price range so if that's how much you have to spend, they're ok.
But I haven't really found them to be very good. What guitar and amp are you using? What's your budget?
I own a Fat PAF and a Dream 90. Awesome sounding pickups. The Fat PAF is really raunchy and squealy, but in a good way (ie. feedback when you want it). The Dream 90 is more like a fender single-coil than a P-90 as it has a nicely hollow clean sound. Sound clips on my profile.

¦ Epiphone Sheraton II ¦ GFS Mean 90s ¦ Ampeg J-20 ¦
¦ Fulltone OCD ¦ MXR 6-Band EQ ¦ Behringer Chorus ¦ Artec Analog Delay ¦ EHX Holy Grail ¦
Quote by Roc8995
Meh. They're just about the only pickups in their price range so if that's how much you have to spend, they're ok.
But I haven't really found them to be very good. What guitar and amp are you using? What's your budget?

I'm puttin in a squire strat, playin through an orange crush, and I just want the best pickups for the money.
They're not bad considering the price.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
GFS pups are good for the price. get them as an interim solution until u have enough for better. thats what i am doing and i dont think gfs is good enough to keep in ur guitar permanently

EDIT: also, the guy at the music store was just tryin to get u to spend more money. trust me.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Quote by AngusJimiKeith
GFS pups are good for the price. get them as an interim solution until u have enough for better. thats what i am doing and i dont think gfs is good enough to keep in ur guitar permanently

EDIT: also, the guy at the music store was just tryin to get u to spend more money. trust me.

hmph.
I would really like pickups to keep in this guitar to make it sound amazing. I want people to see the squire name and be like oh my gosh your kidding. but I wanna do it for cheap.

all the reviews I read about gfs vintage said they're just as good as fender.

(and trust me. I know exactly what that guy was trying to do.)
^yeah...$10 he's never even heard of GFS....and tell ya the truth, the singles might be better than the buckers, ive only ever used their buckers, so idk
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
i know 3 things about them:
1.they're better than 13 year old stock epiphone pickups
2. they're better than dimarzio's (imo)
3. they're awsome
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
Quote by admbwr
i know 3 things about them:
1.they're better than 13 year old stock epiphone pickups
2. they're better than dimarzio's (imo)
3. they're awsome

haha
thanks man
all I've heard was good about them
the guitar store guy was the only one I know of that didn't like them

so you suggest them?
My friend said he got a dream 180 and thought it was pretty good for the price, and he's a tone freak.

I'm curious about their single coils, cause they don't describe the different models very well.
Schecter Gryphon; Ibanez AEG20E
Peavey Rage 158 ; TRAYNOR YCS50
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
If you wanna make a squier sound amazing, it takes more than a set of pups. I GUTTED Mine. All that's left is the neck with a fret job and the alder body. New bridge, tuners, pups, electronics, pots, everything. It still plays pretty poorly, but it sounds nice. I could use another set of pups though.

If you want it to sound amazing with just pickups...I don't know. GFS probably isn't the way to go.

hmph.
I would really like pickups to keep in this guitar to make it sound amazing. I want people to see the squire name and be like oh my gosh your kidding. but I wanna do it for cheap.

all the reviews I read about gfs vintage said they're just as good as fender.

Their upper end single's might rival some of fenders stock pups, or maybe their upgrades, but they come no where near the clarity of fenders upper end pups.

GFS is a great upgrade for the price, and their great to try different styles of pups (overwound, vintage, ceramic, etc.) but they aren't the pickup to make people go WOW.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Last edited by Artemis Entreri at Sep 16, 2008,
thanx for the help man.
I am planning on updating everything I just would like to know the best pickups.

what pickups do you think would be best?

and what kind of bridge and tuners do you have?
Quote by Jcbbagley
thanx for the help man.
I am planning on updating everything I just would like to know the best pickups.

what pickups do you think would be best?

and what kind of bridge and tuners do you have?

hmm. ehhhh what style are you going to play and what's your price range. I PERSONALLY like texas specials because they have a little more meat and power and I play blues with that guitar.

I have an American Standard bridge (could be better, maybe a Kahler) and I have some weird new vintage wilkenson tuners or something. The bridge is american, and the electronics are all from an american strat, but the rest of the pieces are GFS, or ebay, or my local guitar shop.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
If you're looking at cheap pickups, I'd seriously take a look at the Golden Age pickups at stewmac.com. They're very good pickups and not just good for the price either. About the best bang for buck out there IMO.
I was really going for a John Mayer Tone and people said the gfs vintage would do ok, but then I heard cs 69s and alot of other pups. So i decided to research the gfs and found great things about them, but now I'm startin to hear otherwise.

I was looking at the Texas specials before I found the GFS and then fell in love with the price of these, but i want whats best for my style and my squire
Quote by forsaknazrael
You'd be better off saying for a better amp. It'll make more of an improvement, and it'll be a more worthwhile investment overall.

I thought you had a tiny terror for some reason. If you're looking for a better sound, a better amp will do more for you in the long run. We can't really convince you if you're set on pickups. But even the pickups straight out of Hendrix's guitar won't sound amazing on an SS amp.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by Artemis Entreri
I thought you had a tiny terror for some reason. If you're looking for a better sound, a better amp will do more for you in the long run. We can't really convince you if you're set on pickups. But even the pickups straight out of Hendrix's guitar won't sound amazing on an SS amp.

dont underestimate the crush 30R dude.

I'm not lying. I love it.

I wanna go tube, but still.

it's got great tone. no hum. great natural distortion. and especially great through my tube screamer.

now
back to the pickups...

SUGGESTIONS!!!!???
Ask for advice, and then just do what you want.

No, I'm not saying pickups don't matter. I'm saying that your amp sucks, and that good pickups don't always shine through them. The amp matters much, much more than pickups.

BTW, GFS pickups aren't that great, they make up a lot of stuff about the materials they use, and their "vintage" pickups are anything but vintage.
^listen to this guy. gfs are an interim solution til u get a better amp. they are better than stock squier pups, but not much. then once a better amp is aquired, go for a set of duncans or dimarzios...the dimarzio true velvets are particularly amazing singles imo.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
thanx guys. the crush really isn't that bad. I play my tele through it and it sounds just fine. im going to get a tube eventually just don't know what route to go. im gonna settle for the gfs for now. cheap and harmony central said good things.

any suggestions for an amp? nothin to expensive but good sound?
Quote by forsaknazrael
Look for a used Blues Junior. It'll do you much better than a set of GFS pickups.
Should be able to find one for around 300 dollars. Check your local craigslist.org.

thanks man. I had been looking at those actually. im still gonna go for the gfs for now. ill get some new ones later maybe. ill prolly be playin my tele more anyway. this is just a project I wanna do for fun and expeirience. thanks a lot for your help.
they're actually 45.95 so I dont have much to lose man.

thanks for the help though really.

i believe you but everyone Ive heard that has them loves them.
My brother has some Hot Liverpools in his Epi LP. It is a great improvement over the stock pups, but it really isn't THAT noticeable on my SS amp. You can hear the difference when he plays through my BH-5, but if you don't have a tube amp it isn't worth it. I'd upgrade the hardware before the electronics, you'd be surprised at the effect that has.

For tone though, an amp really is the way to go.
I have really only heard stuff about the crunchy rails being decent.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
vintage 59 is nice, similar to a duncan 59, but i'd go with the duncan if i had a choice.
power rails is intense, super high output, nice and crunchy just how i like it, for me honestly they are perfect for what i need them for.
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
Quote by admbwr
vintage 59 is nice, similar to a duncan 59, but i'd go with the duncan if i had a choice.
power rails is intense, super high output, nice and crunchy just how i like it, for me honestly they are perfect for what i need them for.

Yeah, power rails. Those are the ones I was talking about.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
For trying to improve on a lower priced guitar like your squier, I think the GFS pups are perfect. If you start thinking about spending a lot more money on pups, you should consider just putting that money toward a better guitar. There's a point of diminishing returns when dealing with a cheap guitar, and I'd say that $200 pups are well past that point, at least in my opinion.

I put a set of the vintage alnico pups in my mexican strat, and they were a huge, huge improvement over the stock pups. The stock bridge pickup was harsh and tinny, and the middle & neck were dark and dull with no detail. The new pups were a huge improvement. The bridge is bright but not harsh, and the middle & neck pickups have a lot of detail with rich harmonics. I'm sure that a high-end set of pickups may be even better, but for the $70 I spent, I'm really surprised at just how good they are. When I first did the upgrade I brought the guitar to my weekly lesson and my instructor played it for half my lesson! He commented numerous times at how good the guitar sounded. I have to admit, that with him playing it, it really did sound amazing.
Page 1 of 2