Alright, I wanna learn to ear songs out....Nothing difficult, mostly power chord progressions, and I can improvise / re-write the solo once i figure out the song. I've done well on all those ear trainer tests online, but I really can't ear any songs out. The only songs I've really taught myself without tabs or anything was a song that i was able to see what the guitarist was playing (roughly).

If someone could give me some pointers, that'd be great.
I am too currently learning to play by ear. I can already pick most notes out in a song. I recommend just listen very closely to the music. Pay attention to the way each note sounds.

When you just start out its really just a guessing game. Just pay attention to what your listening to or what your playing, it should come naturally.
Quote by NeverMIA
I am too currently learning to play by ear. I can already pick most notes out in a song. I recommend just listen very closely to the music. Pay attention to the way each note sounds.

When you just start out its really just a guessing game. Just pay attention to what your listening to or what your playing, it should come naturally.

it's not that easy to really pick notes out when there's alot of distortion & all that stuff
Not that I know much about this topic but maybe you can try identifing the key its in?

So find all the chords played on the song on your guitar and figure out what key its in. Then you should be able to form a solo over it quite easily.
I've been playing bass for a year and play mostly metal, I can pick out most bass notes.
It may be different for guitar, I don't know. From my own experience I didn't find it that hard.
Quote by Guitarfreak777
Not that I know much about this topic but maybe you can try identifing the key its in?

So find all the chords played on the song on your guitar and figure out what key its in. Then you should be able to form a solo over it quite easily.

Did you even read what I wrote?
Quote by Swap-Meet
Did you even read what I wrote?

Yes, you could hear a chord, pause it, figure out that chord, then play the song and repeat.

Trial and error can find the notes if your ear can't