I have been playing for just over a year now. I’m not sure what skill level I’m at but I can almost play the solo in Ten Words by Satch if that gives you an idea. I’m looking for a decent teacher that will teach me something other then songs but until then I’m alone.

Recently I have become really frustrated with my playing. Right now I consider my playing to be very messy with many mistakes. When it comes to bends I sound like a two year old crying… I go to bend the note up and either my finger slips off, I hit another string causing it to ring, I might bend it out of tune or the note will just randomly stop ringing out due to some horrible finger placement. Another thing that makes me upset is when I fret a note then let it go to move on to a different string the note will start ringing and sounding bad. Also when I slide down the slide causes other strings to ring.

I’ve tried muting with my palm but that only works with the 2 lowest strings. I read somewhere you should use your fingers that are not holding the pick to mute strings that are not being played but wouldn’t that be anchoring? I’ve also tried muting with my playing fingers but I usually end up needing those fingers and I don’t have time to fret mute then fret again.

Anyways I need some tips on how to clean everything up especially my bending. And sorry for the wall of text
just keep at it, keep bending, and it will slowly evolve to sound how you want, as far as palm muting goes, you've got 2 string down, now try adding another, and then another (i might also add that you may have to readjust your palm to reach all strings, or change the way you hold the guitar) there really isn't any way to just give you some tips and make you better, you could look at the sweep picking lessons on here, that may help you play cleaner, you just need as much hands on experience as you can get, i've been playing 3 years and i have some of those problems to, they are just slowly improving.
Hey Man,

Check out the links in Freepower's sig. The one on muting is "5". That should help your problem.
Quote by jefffelker40
just keep at it, keep bending, and it will slowly evolve to sound how you want, as far as palm muting goes, you've got 2 string down, now try adding another, and then another (i might also add that you may have to readjust your palm to reach all strings, or change the way you hold the guitar) there really isn't any way to just give you some tips and make you better, you could look at the sweep picking lessons on here, that may help you play cleaner, you just need as much hands on experience as you can get, i've been playing 3 years and i have some of those problems to, they are just slowly improving.

The bending hasn't evolved at all...
try this

e----------
b-0---------
g-3b-------
d----------
a----------
e----------

now bend the g string up until it matches perfect with the open b, this can help you, you can also try doing it on the 2nd fret the same way, you get the idea.
Quote by jefffelker40
try this

e----------
b-0---------
g-3b-------
d----------
a----------
e----------

now bend the g string up until it matches perfect with the open b, this can help you, you can also try doing it on the 2nd fret the same way, you get the idea.

I can bend in pitch decently but it makes to much noise coming down.
then your doing fine, it just takes some time getting used to, just like when you play a new chord, it's awkward, your doing ok.
dude you've only been playing a year. relax, i've been playing for like 13 years or so and still make mistakes. one key thing is to learn how to correct those mistakes and make that "mistake" sound intentional. granted you dont want to make mistakes but learning how to correct them can be very helpful when they do occur and may give you some new ideas. that being said if your playing is sloppy then practice slower, go at a speed at which you know you wont be sloppy, even if your playing is at half the normal tempo. its better to play slow and sound good, than to play fast and sound awful. and remember practice practice practice practice practice.
Quote by z4twenny
dude you've only been playing a year. relax, i've been playing for like 13 years or so and still make mistakes. one key thing is to learn how to correct those mistakes and make that "mistake" sound intentional. granted you dont want to make mistakes but learning how to correct them can be very helpful when they do occur and may give you some new ideas. that being said if your playing is sloppy then practice slower, go at a speed at which you know you wont be sloppy, even if your playing is at half the normal tempo. its better to play slow and sound good, than to play fast and sound awful. and remember practice practice practice practice practice.

I'm just unsure if I'm bending right... I never really learned the right technique.
When I was kinda a bending noob I hooked my guitar up to a tuner and bent for hours until I got the right note every time. It doesn't take too long and it's certainly worth the effort. As far as cleaning everything up... keep it slow.
Good thinking... (to above post).
Try pre-bending before you play a note. Then play where you wanted the note to sound like. Then go back and try to get closer with the prebend. Oh god. I explained that terribly.

e----------
b-----7---
g-9b------
d----------
a----------
e----------

Prebend the E to where you estimate the F# would be (it's a tone). If you're out slightly, do it again. Try to get closer every time.
Quote by metal4all
Just, no. Locrian should be treated like that gay cousin. Just avoid him cuz he's weird, unstable, and is attracted to the wrong thing.

Quote by steven seagull
Big deal, I bought a hamster once and they put that in a box...doesn't make it a scale.