i just started playin guitar for the last 3 months and i already know like 2 complete songs but they were super easy.......well what um tryin to say is what is the proper way to practice for begginers is it by doin scales or what i have no idea what um doin i think um messin with my guitar and attempting to play some songs but um very much sucking at it i look up tabs that ar easy but most of all.......i need to know the proper ways to practice before i can get to those things later and i will be prepare for it..........anybody...i need help what can u recemend me to do and stick with or any other things i should be practicing.

i look at tabs and i know what they mean i understand them but playin them hehe ok have troubles fingering and getting the sound that i am trying to get out of that tab have no idea how to do that. i think its cause um learnin and um not there yet to get a hang of that stuff cause um learnin still........but need help on what to practice to get beter at playin the guitar........

anybody out there can u help me
to tell the truth, i learned guitar by playin my favorite songs and learning new things from each songs. like i learned bends from today by smashing pumpkins or power chords from smells like teen spirit. I have been playing for over a year and i only know 3 scales...but i dont care cause its still fun with tabs
Quote by shadesofanger
Wait...Fat is a trend? I am soooooo getting into this trend now.

BLINK 182=EPIC WIN

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
don't worry about scales or theory right now. 3 months in.....you need to be with a metronome or better yet, play along to songs you like. Imagine yourself in those bands. In the beginning of anything dealing with music, it all starts with your ability to play on time. Timing is the most important thing you'll ever be able to perfect. I know a boat load of players who jumped straight into theory and scales without working on their own mind's & body's tempo. When you skip this most crucial step in becoming a mature musician, you end up with a player who may be very knowledgable, but can't play with anyone or along to music because their timing is off by miles. So go ahead and jump into playing along with bands, play leads even. Its called "improv" and it is the single most useful tool out there. Timing and instrument comfort are the ingredients of a great player, for this alone makes you become emotional, soulful, and a complete commander of your instrument. Hope this helps. Stay dedicated!!
Quote by almostinnocent
to tell the truth, i learned guitar by playin my favorite songs and learning new things from each songs. like i learned bends from today by smashing pumpkins or power chords from smells like teen spirit. I have been playing for over a year and i only know 3 scales...but i dont care cause its still fun with tabs

exactly!!!!!!! good for you
in addition to what was already said,
keep having fun so that you don't quit (or convince yourself it would be a waste of money to stop)
-
-
--
---
-----
--------
-------------
Yay fibonacci!
dont listen to these nerds

Metronomes/Exercises/Lessons are a sure way to make the guitar sound boring, terrible, and just flat out bad.

Instead, play some songs you enjoy and learn the pentatonic, and start doing improv solos to backing tracks and your favorite songs.
Quote by tgrillo
dont listen to these nerds

Metronomes/Exercises/Lessons are a sure way to make the guitar sound boring, terrible, and just flat out bad.

Instead, play some songs you enjoy and learn the pentatonic, and start doing improv solos to backing tracks and your favorite songs.

Yeah, I'm sure none of the greats learned by using metronomes or through lessons or any kind of structured method. Probably none of them use theory either, Right?

All we need is more guitarists who think that structure is useless and that it can't rock. True, you shouldn't go on stage and play a series of exercises. But learning without any structure is a great way to piss off drummers and bassists in a band setting.

Don't get me wrong, TS. You should spend a decent bit of you guitar playing time just fooling around and having fun, but you should always be learning.

EDIT: and just playing the only pentatonic is a GREAT way to make the guitar sound boring, terrible, and flat out bad... Well that might be an overexaggeration, but let's just say it's been done a kazillion times by classic rock artists and won't sound original (and therefore interesting). The pentatonic is a decent place to start but shouldn't be the by-all and end-all.
Stop whining and learn your theory!

Quote by oddhawk676
Yeah, some black guy with a yankees cap walks into the ice cream parlor, and I said "We dont serve your kind here," as in, yankee fans, i guess he thought something else and left.
Last edited by PekarGuitar at Sep 17, 2008,