What would be the best equipment to record my:
guitar amp(strat into classic 30)
Vocals
Acoustic guitar
(NOTE: these will not be recorded at the same time, i only need one at a time, so one mic only please)

What I'm looking for is: a good mic, cable, mixer or mixer with a firewire/usb interface.

I currently do not have a firewire slot in my computer but I can get a card for that for like 30 bucks. Also, My computer only has 256mb of ram, and a 2.4ghz processor, with 128mb of video ram. But it's all overclocked to the highest point I could get it without it overheating, so It runs decent.(I'm getting a mac in about 1 and a half years from now, or when they come out with a new macbook )

my budget is around $500. I'm going for the 300 dollar mark preferably. What ever I save will go to new pickups for my strat.

I was thinking sm57 + that behringer firewire podcast kit?

opinions? suggestions? any questions/things you need to know just ask.

EDIT: actually while I'm at it, if I stretch my budget to around $600, what are some good monitors i could throw in?? I would like a nice studio style rig, that I willh ave for a while. I have $1000 total but that's all I have left for about a year, so i'd like to not spend ALL of it GAS kills me...
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Last edited by danyellenik at Sep 16, 2008,
MXL 990/991 pack for vocals and acoustic guitar
Shure SM57 for guitar amps and general use
PreSonus Inspire 1394 is a good interface (firewire connection)

The Inspire normally goes for $150 on MF however it seems they upped to $200 for now. In that same price range is the Mackie Onyx Satellite which is better overall if you have Windows XP.

As for monitors, the KRK RP series are great to start on.
a set of RP5s or RP6s can be had for cheap on ebay these days.

I would suggest a little more ram for your current computer and dont go crazy with a high end sequencer on that desktop. Reaper will work just fine for now.

As for a firewire card I suggest this unit (unless you think the one you are looking at is better):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815124003

You could use some $100 headphones in place of the monitors for a while but if you want to mix easier and get better sounds I suggest saving up for monitors later down the road.
Last edited by moody07747 at Sep 16, 2008,
Well, if you go for the Presonus, you won't need another piece of software.

And for vocals + acoustic guitar, if you are not recording them simultaneously, it would be best to splurge on a large diaphragm condenser like the MXL V63 or AKG Perception 200. The level of detail you'll gain is worth it.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Quote by moody07747
MXL 990/991 pack for vocals and acoustic guitar
Shure SM57 for guitar amps and general use
PreSonus Inspire 1394 is a good interface (firewire connection)

The Inspire normally goes for $150 on MF however it seems they upped to $200 for now. In that same price range is the Mackie Onyx Satellite which is better overall if you have Windows XP.

As for monitors, the KRK RP series are great to start on.
a set of RP5s or RP6s can be had for cheap on ebay these days.

I would suggest a little more ram for your current computer and dont go crazy with a high end sequencer on that desktop. Reaper will work just fine for now.

As for a firewire card I suggest this unit (unless you think the one you are looking at is better):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815124003

You could use some $100 headphones in place of the monitors for a while but if you want to mix easier and get better sounds I suggest saving up for monitors later down the road.

great post! thanks a lot!!! I think I'm just going to go with the headphone option for now

I noticed you said for the sm57 general use... Could I use it for vocals, and my guitar? is it any good for vocals?

EDIT: also which headphones around the $100 mark are good?
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Last edited by danyellenik at Sep 17, 2008,
That MXL V63M is a really good for what you pay. You should definitely check it out if you can.
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic
Quote by Death-Speak
That MXL V63M is a really good for what you pay. You should definitely check it out if you can.

alright thanks
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
I've seen the 57 used for acoustic guitar and vocals but you need a nice preamps to run with it and that will run you over $600.
Condensers such as the MXL set or V63M should work out well.
Quote by moody07747
I've seen the 57 used for acoustic guitar and vocals but you need a nice preamps to run with it and that will run you over $600.
Condensers such as the MXL set or V63M should work out well.

alright, what mics at the $100 dollar and under mark will get me good for vocals and acoustic? with the mackie onyx interface
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by danyellenik
alright, what mics at the $100 dollar and under mark will get me good for vocals and acoustic? with the mackie onyx interface

http://emusician.com/hardware/emusic_budget_mics_big/

And the MXL V63M I mentioned before.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

as if!!! I've spent this whole time talking about recording my acoustic guitar... It's an amazing electro-acoustic, I can just run it into the mixer instrument in, it has an AWESOME piezo pickup inside it already.

So I just need a microphone for messing around with vocals, I'm not a good singer at all, I'd just like to be able to have a mic to record myself singing to improve.
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Ok. But it doesn't hurt to record the acoustic part anyway...
Quote by keiron_d

Yea +1 on that last comment

Also look into the Studio Projects B1 mic

http://www.zzounds.com/item--STUB1

Its a little over $100 but many members I have talked to at the Studio Centrail board have been very happy with it. It will work for vocals and acoustic. I do suggest getting a pop filter and stand with that B1 though.
Quote by moody07747
Yea +1 on that last comment

Also look into the Studio Projects B1 mic

http://www.zzounds.com/item--STUB1

Its a little over $100 but many members I have talked to at the Studio Centrail board have been very happy with it. It will work for vocals and acoustic. I do suggest getting a pop filter and stand with that B1 though.

that is a nice mic!
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808