Because the first time i went to have my guitar set up, it took them over 4 days just to set it up, but wait...

The action was so bad the first thing i had to do was change the action, and the intonation was completely out of check, he didn't even touch it, and he didn't change the truss rod even tho the curve was a bit screwed up.

All of that for a $65 set up including strings...

I mean this forced me to learn all these things by myself, but guitar techs ****ing people over and taking their money for nothing is slightly disheartening.
Ive read some really bad stories on other forums that would make me nuke some places.
you need to try a guitar before you leave the shop.

you need to get references when possible and be specific with what you want out of the set up.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Axe music edmonton, is HORRIBLE. Had pickups installed and they did HORRIBLE welding. Then on top of that they charged me for cleaning the fretboard which I didn't ask for.
Well, it's no biggie, but I had my guitar set up by L&M and specifically asked that they adjust the bridge so my whammy bar fit in the cavity. Long story short, it didn't happen and still doesn't fit, but I'm guessing that's cause I forgot to include the bar in the case so they couldn't test it anyways.
Quote by jj1565
you need to try a guitar before you leave the shop.

Im far too humble and would never summon the courage to say "this is horrible, please try again"
I haven't had any issues, I go to this little shop and they do an amazing job. The fixed my acoustic when the head broke, and gave me a free setup (no more fret buzz), and a free set of strings.

My guitar looks new and sounds better than ever.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Quote by Epic_chef
Im far too humble and would never summon the courage to say "this is horrible, please try again"

I understand what you mean, but if you payed $65 for a setup and you feel that you got nothing out of it, you don't think you should say something, that way your money wasn't wasted?
Gear:
-Ibanez S470 DXQM (Blue)
-Roland Cube 30X
Quote by chrisa123
Axe music edmonton, is HORRIBLE. Had pickups installed and they did HORRIBLE welding. Then on top of that they charged me for cleaning the fretboard which I didn't ask for.

welding? i think you mean soldering
Quote by 007SixString
welding? i think you mean soldering

Ive tried setting my action perfect since day one.Now I find it relatively easy to do and I dont have to entrust my guitar to other people for setups
moral of the story: try setting up the action and intonation yourself , it will kind of suck in the beginning but you'll gradually get better at it

I cant solder for shit though
Last edited by nido at Sep 17, 2008,
A friend of mine just got a new bridge humbucker installed which when he got home he realised sounded shit when used at the same time as the neck pickup, he went back and showed them the wiring diagram and what he thought they had done wrong and the guy admitted he hadn't even looked at the wiring diagram and had indeed wired it up incorrectly... at least he admitted it and fixed the problem though.
Ya when I bought my last guitar I asked them to give it a setup and I would pick it up the next day as they offer a free setup for life policy. I pick it up and unfortunately it has a terrible neck buzz, so I just took it to another place and payed $40 to have it done right. That particular shop won't be receiving more of my business any time soon.
Ain't nothin wrong, ain't nothin right, and still I sit and lie awake all night...
Quote by Epic_chef

do it like this next time (if there is a next time, somewhere else). give them the check ticket, get your guitar, and before you hand over the money, just casually take it out and walk it over to an amp to plug into.

play it a bit, and call the guy over, ask him to play it if you have any concerns.
"is it me, or do you also hear a buzz?" "the action still seems a little high, is there a reason for that?" "the tone knob is making a crackle noise with the new pickups in, can you spray the pots?"...

you should also ALWAYS check over your guitar prior to handing it over.

make sure there are no dents or scratches. taking the guitar out of its case to try it is a perfect place to take notes of any NEW dents. dont wait until you get home.

if you dont think you can do all this then practice at home, bring a parent or even better a guitar playing friend with you as support.
they are a business. they are guitar store guys, not a bunch of super stars. if they are worth anything, thet'll respect you more for knowing what to ask for and look for in a set up.

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

A few months ago I sent my guitar to the store because the bridge was extremely high, and I didn't want to touch the tension springs because at the time I didn't know what I was doing. All the idiot did was detune it, badly, which did technically fix the problem but obviously it doesn't work like that. I got all pissed and told my dad, who was like "He told me that was the problem, I watched him tune it with a tuner?" I had to explain to him that I knew more than the tech and eventually I played the low E string (which was like inbetween a ****ing F# and a G) and an E on the piano and asked him if they sounded the same. I ended up learning how to do it and fixed it myself.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Im guessing the lesson here is "if you want something done...."
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
if your guitar is damaged after you recive it (ie chips in the finish)

what can you get for compensation?
well, i would guess that depends on the shop.

if he was an absolute ass about it, and you didnt point out the perfect condition prior to leaving it i imagine he might tell you to shove off.
if it's obvious that the damage was done in his shop, because it was perhaps a screwdriver mark where they were working on the guitar, you might suggest some sort of store credit for future service, or some other sort of reimbursement.

i suppose if he's an ass you could refuse payment for the set up but then expect he would want to keep the guitar.
or you could pay leave the shop and file a small claims court date. (which is perfectly free and easy to do in most US areas.)
take before and after service pics and bring in a refinishing estimate cost. you'd probably win.

in addition a claim to better business department could be filed. might bother his future business.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62