I really want to get one of these 3 amps, either the Cobra, the MKII or the VH4 respectively. Im really upgrading my current rig, i got a really good job so money isn't really an issue, right now im running my guitar through a series of pedals and rackmounts then it splits into a Marshall JCM 2000 and also a Mesa triple rectafier. I just ordered a voodoo labs master control, so ill be able to plug 3 amps into it and play at the same time. so i want to find out which of these 3 amps would be best, Also would be using this amp solo for doing gigs, rather then bring the other 2. I play mostly in Drop C, heavy stuff, metalcore. ex. as i lay dying, all that remains, killswitch, you get the idea. so which of these 3 amps should i get.
Either a Diezel VH4 (personal favorite of mine) or the H&K Triamp MKII. Play one of those, and you'll more than likely ditch the JCM and Recto for single amps. Both amps sound MASSIVE, yet they're insanely clear and articulate, and downright brutal in the right settings. Framus I'm kind of on the fence about; they sounded great when I first heard about them, but they've sorta grown old since almost every other metalcore band and their brother uses one in the studio (or used to), and I much prefer Diezel and H&K out of the three.
Well first of all, the price between those amps is pretty huge. Used, you can find a MKII in the $1100-1600 range if you're lucky, the Cobra around $1500-1700, and the VH4 in the $3500 range.

Personally, I hated the VH4 when I tried it, the Einstein was better for a lot less imo, and the Herbert destroyed both of them.

The Cobra is a good amp but has poor build quality, great sounding amps though, nice cleans and very heavy distortion.

H&K is one of those jack of all trades amps. Some people like them for high gain, some hate them, most people who have tried them will agree they're pretty good at mid-gain tones though.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by Highwaytohell
Sell the JCM2000 and the Recto. And buy splawn

/thread

No way dude. I don't think you're aware of how godly mixed amps sound. Even a Spider and an MG mixed will sound pretty good.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by Sonicxlover
No way dude. I don't think you're aware of how godly mixed amps sound. Even a Spider and an MG mixed will sound pretty good.

+1

Stereo rigs >>>>>>> individual amp

I really love the Framus Dragon, the cobra is similar, but quite a bit granier. I highly recommend splawn as well. The nitro is obscene, the quickrod has the best leads I've heard in an amp. Blending the Dragon and Quickrod has been nothing but a pleasure for me. I'm sure replacing the Dragon with a VH4 or Bogner Uberschall would be amazing, and possibly throwing in a Recto.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
have you thought of a Bogner Ecstasy?

out of the three you mentioned I think the vh4 would create the best tone mixed with the other 2 amps you have. Although i think the Bogner would be even better
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Tribute (Bare Knuckle Nailbombs)
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul (Seymour Duncan Pegasus and Sentinent)
-Ibanez S470 (Dimarzio D-sonic and Humbucker from Hell)
-PRS SE Custom (Guitarforce Black Diamond and Lord of the Blues)

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
EVH 5150III EL-34 50w
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Boss Super Chorus
Bogner Uberschall
Ibanez DE7 Delay
Electro-Harmonix Power Booster
Fender PT100 Pedal Tuner

Strings:
Ernie Ball Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom 10-52
H&K Warp X is suppose to sound really good with dropped tunings, just a suggestion. Between what you've named so far though, I'd have to go VH4.. but that's just my preferance.
I've never tried the Framus, but the H&K Triamp Mk2 is pretty killer. Real live feel to it, as opposed to the VH4, which is dry & tight IMO. Nice tone from the VH4, but like someone else said, the Herbert pwns other Diezels (& I'd still take the H&K over a Herbert, just because I prefer the HK voicing). I would certainly try those amps yourself, & not just go by our opinions if you're spending $3500 on an amp.

I used to run a dual amp rig w/ Fender & Marshall heads, but you lose some articulation & the sound becomes cluttered with too much going on IMO. Using one main amp with a line out to a separate power amp running wet/dry cabs in stereo is the ultimate tone with no loss of articulation. The first Van Halen record is a good example of that.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Quote by riffhog
I've never tried the Framus, but the H&K Triamp Mk2 is pretty killer. Real live feel to it, as opposed to the VH4, which is dry & tight IMO. Nice tone from the VH4, but like someone else said, the Herbert pwns other Diezels (& I'd still take the H&K over a Herbert, just because I prefer the HK voicing). I would certainly try those amps yourself, & not just go by our opinions if you're spending $3500 on an amp.

I used to run a dual amp rig w/ Fender & Marshall heads, but you lose some articulation & the sound becomes cluttered with too much going on IMO. Using one main amp with a line out to a separate power amp running wet/dry cabs in stereo is the ultimate tone with no loss of articulation. The first Van Halen record is a good example of that.

Well something I've done before is run one amp with all the distortion you need and the other either clean or with some overdrive. It still sounds just as distorted and still articulated.

But yeah, I agree with Mesa, I've never had any problems with articulation. Almost always the multiple amps end up blending to make one infinitely better sound rather than sounding like seperate mush.
Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Last edited by Sonicxlover at Sep 17, 2008,
Quote by riffhog

I have no problems with articulation whatsoever. The only problem I have with a dual amp setup is the extra noise. You gotta make sure both amps are running from the same power source. Besides that the extra tone you gain far outweighs the cons.

Adam Jones from Tool is probably the best example of blending amps for a great tone. Metallica's black album, Load, Reload, Garage Inc., St. Anger (gotta admit, good heavy tone) and Death Magnetic were blended amps.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
I must've chosen the wrong amps to blend, or I just sucked back then (which is entirely possible ) & had inferior technique for the setup I was using. It was a long time ago. I'm glad you guys are getting great results with the multiple amps. It makes me want to try some stuff with my gear. I had completely given up on multi-amp rigs.
I've had really good luck with the wet/dry rig, though, so it'll be tough to beat that!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Quote by riffhog
I must've chosen the wrong amps to blend, or I just sucked back then (which is entirely possible ) & had inferior technique for the setup I was using. It was a long time ago. I'm glad you guys are getting great results with the multiple amps. It makes me want to try some stuff with my gear. I had completely given up on multi-amp rigs.
I've had really good luck with the wet/dry rig, though, so it'll be tough to beat that!

Yeah, when i read your post I didn't want to say it sounds like a low gain rig or anything but Fender and Marshall, I woudln't see that being a high gain rig. The biggest gains in tone would be from a high gain rig, not to say that cleans can't be improved. I also love the tone of the quickrod combined with the Dragon on the clean channel as well, sooo much depth. Technically I have both a wet/dry and stereo rig, 2 cabs per 2 heads though...

It does take quite a bit of tweaking though, in which an individual amp would save someone a lot of pulling hair. You gotta figure out whether or not you want the amps to have near identical EQing and just fill in different textures or have them be more similar textured and for scoop one and boost mid the other one. It makes EQing a Mark IV to get a good tone look like trying to get a bad tone out of a Marshall MG

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
^ Actually, it was a fairly high-gain rig, but it relied on distortion from a Rat for both amps, so there was still an obvious mismatch tone-wise. It actually sounded great for power chords & stuff, but the leads were more on the fizzy mud side!
I want to find my splitter & try a 5150 III/SLO combo for some uber-metal .
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard

Quote by riffhog
^ Actually, it was a fairly high-gain rig, but it relied on distortion from a Rat for both amps, so there was still an obvious mismatch tone-wise. It actually sounded great for power chords & stuff, but the leads were more on the fizzy mud side!
I want to find my splitter & try a 5150 III/SLO combo for some uber-metal .

Get a George Lynch Tripler and blend the 5153, SLO, and Mojave. That would be the brownest brown sound ever!

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
Yeah, when i read your post I didn't want to say it sounds like a low gain rig or anything but Fender and Marshall, I woudln't see that being a high gain rig. The biggest gains in tone would be from a high gain rig, not to say that cleans can't be improved. I also love the tone of the quickrod combined with the Dragon on the clean channel as well, sooo much depth. Technically I have both a wet/dry and stereo rig, 2 cabs per 2 heads though...

It does take quite a bit of tweaking though, in which an individual amp would save someone a lot of pulling hair. You gotta figure out whether or not you want the amps to have near identical EQing and just fill in different textures or have them be more similar textured and for scoop one and boost mid the other one. It makes EQing a Mark IV to get a good tone look like trying to get a bad tone out of a Marshall MG

I just go by which amp does what better. For instance, I run my Legacy and Blues Jr. (which distortion) at the same time. I'm aware that the Blues Jr. along with the distortion isn't exactly the most organic high gain tone (I'd go for a different amp that actually does high gain but I can't), so I have my Legacy on a bit louder. I also prefer a scooped sound but at the same time need some mids so I can cut through. Considering the Legacy will do low end better, I do it like this:

Legacy
Bass - 7
Mids - 3
Treble - 5 1/2
Presence - 10

Blues Jr.

Bass - 4
Mids - 7
Treble - 9
Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by MESAexplorer
Get a George Lynch Tripler and blend the 5153, SLO, and Mojave. That would be the brownest brown sound ever!

You, my friend, are f#@king nuts. God love ya , I like your style!
That would for sure be a wall of sound, but I doubt it could come close tone-wise to the Mojave alone for brown! I can't tell you guys enough what badass amps those Mojaves are. They are stand alone fountains of tone. But what the hell, it can't hurt to try something!
God, I've got to get a way to make clips.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard

Quote by Sonicxlover
I just go by which amp does what better. For instance, I run my Legacy and Blues Jr. (which distortion) at the same time. I'm aware that the Blues Jr. along with the distortion isn't exactly the most organic high gain tone (I'd go for a different amp that actually does high gain but I can't), so I have my Legacy on a bit louder. I also prefer a scooped sound but at the same time need some mids so I can cut through. Considering the Legacy will do low end better, I do it like this:

Legacy
Bass - 7
Mids - 3
Treble - 5 1/2
Presence - 10

Blues Jr.

Bass - 4
Mids - 7
Treble - 9

I wish I was home, I'd be able to describe my amps Equings. I'm basically doing the same thing. TONS of people use Marshalls or Marshall clones for that insane midrange, fills in great with American (mesas) and German (Framus, Engl, Diezel) toned amps.

Qrod
gain 5
treble 8
mids 5
bass 7
presence 7
3rd Gear

Run through the B-52 loaded with Eminience Legends and Cornford 2x12 w/ v30s
for mid range cut and nasally upper midrange w/ Yngwie lead tone

Dragon
gain 6
treble 10
mids 7
bass 3
presence 8
deep knob (bass presence) 8

Run through Genz Benz G-flex and Carvin Legacy
Dry HUUUUUGGGGEEEE low end, dry lower midrange, ultra rich harmonic top end.

The overall sound is reminiscent of Adam Jones tone on 10,000 days, just quite a bit thicker, not as buzzy, yet granier and dryer. Probably more like a mixture between Meshuggah's tone on Re-Nothing and Adam Jones to be honest.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
What about ENGL, i just recently started looking at the 150 Invader,