So I'm starting to build a guitar from parts, not really build I guess, but it's not really upgrading either since I'm starting from scratch. But I've got the design down, and most of the parts. I'm going for a very classic Strat look.

Edit: After looking at the body, I updated the final concept. This is what the guitar will look like.

Edit: Update 2: The body came in, this is what it looks like. Very purdy
Edit: Update 3: Pots and pickguard came in. I ended up going with a mint green pickguard (its hard to tell from the picture). I also got a 300k volume pot, and 2 250k tone pots (one being push pull for coil tap). Also I got a .022uf Vitamin T cap. This is what it looks like so far:

I've bought the body already, I picked up a nice 3 tone sunburst American Standard Strat body from ebay. I'm going to order a lot of the parts from Warmoth.

I'm thinking:

3 tone sunburst strat body
Warmoth Pro neck - Rosewood fretboard, 22 frets, graphtech nut
Locking Tuners
Callaham Bridge

The pickups are on the way; they're from Rock Monkey Guitars. I went with a Swinging Cool neck, a 69 Gorilla Groove middle, and a Warm Heritage bridge humbucker.

I'll post more as I get the parts in.

Tell me what you think. Also, am I forgetting anything?
Last edited by lemonsquares42 at Oct 20, 2008,
Nice, sounds awesome. Should turn out great!

Do you plan on posting any pictures soon?
O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build

I should have the body in the next day or so, and I'll be ordering the rest of the parts within this week, so I should have pics up very soon.

Edit: The body arrived, check it out ^^
Last edited by lemonsquares42 at Sep 17, 2008,
woo, this is looks well sounding good
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Wilkinson tremolos are licensed units, which means that many different companies make a "Wilkinson VS100," but they're all a little bit different. The Gotoh ones are the best I've come across, so that looks like a good deal.
I didn't get my VS100 from Warmoth, but that's exactly what mine looks like so I can't imagine it's a different model. You can always call them if you're not sure, they're very helpful.
Did you make those first two pictures (of the strat with a white pickguard and a black pickguard) youself?

If yes - What program did you use?
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
Quote by lemonsquares42
I have a question: The Wilkinson Gotoh Bridge advertised on Warmoth's website,

http://www.warmoth.com/hardware/bridges/bridges.cfm?fuseaction=bridges_wilkinson

Is it specifically the VS100 bridge? That's the one I'm looking for, but it seems to be a bit more expensive on other websites. I was wondering if it was that one specifically, or do I have to look elsewhere for it?
The body you have is for the 6-screw vintage style bridge. The bridge you linked to is for a 2-post bridge; meaning, you'll have to drill for the 2 posts.

I highly recommend sticking with a 6-screw vintage bridge. Is the body a RI, a MIA, a MIM, etc.? That'll tell you what 6-screw bridge you'll need.

Quote by Hultan
Did you make those first two pictures (of the strat with a white pickguard and a black pickguard) youself?

If yes - What program did you use?
http://www.nymphusa.com/kisekae/kisekaeE1.asp

The body you have is for the 6-screw vintage style bridge. The bridge you linked to is for a 2-post bridge; meaning, you'll have to drill for the 2 posts.

I highly recommend sticking with a 6-screw vintage bridge. Is the body a RI, a MIA, a MIM, etc.? That'll tell you what 6-screw bridge you'll need.

[/QUOTE=Ippon]

Ahh, I did not notice that. The body is a MIA. Gotoh makes a vintage Wilkinson model, but I do not know much about it. http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_tailpieces/Electric_guitar_tremolos/Wilkinson_Gotoh_VSVG_Vintage_Tremolo.html

Would that be what I'm looking for?

Edit: If I'm not mistaken, Roc8995, didn't you rebuild your strat with a VS100 6 screw bridge? I think they make the VS 100 in 6 screw form, but I can't seem to find it.
Quote by lemonsquares42
Ahh, I did not notice that. The body is a MIA. Gotoh makes a vintage Wilkinson model, but I do not know much about it. http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_tailpieces/Electric_guitar_tremolos/Wilkinson_Gotoh_VSVG_Vintage_Tremolo.html

Would that be what I'm looking for?

Edit: If I'm not mistaken, Roc8995, didn't you rebuild your strat with a VS100 6 screw bridge? I think they make the VS 100 in 6 screw form, but I can't seem to find it.

Whoa! I know Gotohs are good, but they're not $104 good. I can sell you a Fender MIA bridge for half ... or you can get one from GC for about $80.

Quote by Ippon
Whoa! I know Gotohs are good, but they're not $104 good. I can sell you a Fender MIA bridge for half ... or you can get one from GC for about $80.

Well, I guess the idea behind that was I want a bridge that will stay in tune pretty darn well while using the tremolo bar. I won't be doing any crazy divebomb type stuff, but I'd like to be able to more than just light use and have it still stay in tune.

With that said, I don't mind spending a little extra to get a really nice bridge, just as long as it performs.

Do the MIA bridges stay in tune really well? Do they perform as well as the Gotoh's? I'd keep in mind that I'll be using locking tuners and a graphtec nut.
Quote by lemonsquares42
Well, I guess the idea behind that was I want a bridge that will stay in tune pretty darn well while using the tremolo bar. I won't be doing any crazy divebomb type stuff, but I'd like to be able to more than just light use and have it still stay in tune.

With that said, I don't mind spending a little extra to get a really nice bridge, just as long as it performs.

Do the MIA bridges stay in tune really well? Do they perform as well as the Gotoh's? I'd keep in mind that I'll be using locking tuners and a graphtec nut.

The tuners, nut, and re-stringing technique have more impact to your tuning stability than the bridge brand.

Having said that, the tremolo blocks on MIA, MIJ, and current MIM Strats are beefy enough ... compared to the cheap Squiers or older MIM bridges ... and this supposedly helps with sustain.

Consider that Callaham sells boutique bridges and 1-pound trem blocks to tone freaks.

YMMV. BTW, I don't know what I was thinking when I posted that I'll sell you a MIA Strat bridge ... so disregard that.

Quote by lemonsquares42

The VS100 is a 2-point only. I really like the knife-edge trems better than the screw-in units for floating and smoothness.
I just drilled the two outermost holes to fit the posts for the VS100.
white pickguard with black knobs
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack