Ok...

According to one of my friends, i'm the only guitarist in town who does not have a wah pedal ! and I really would like to utilize one in the future and be able to create sweet suculant wah tones.

I DO NOT, Repeat DO NOT want a Wah that is spring loaded that turns off as soon as I step off of it. I do not like the fact that I cant utilize the wah for doing wierd trebly FX and all that (the Jimmy Page thing), that Pisses me off when I cant leave a wah in a position and it will sound different. (this isnt counting the weeping deamon becuase that is also footswitchable, which I really like)

I need a wah that can harness Overdriven Hendrix Style roar, and High-gain tones, but when I'm talking High gain, i'm not talking thin-trebly annoying Kirk Hammet or Zack Wylde tones, I'm talking really angry and thick Metal wah.

What would be a suitable wah under 200 bucks?
If you want Hendrix style, then go for the Dunlop Cry Baby. I have the 535q, and so far its great. I would get a power adapter though, the batteries die fairly quickly.
Best wahs I've ever used:

Ibanez Weeping Demon $99
Dunlop Crybaby Classic $99
Dunlop Zakk Wylde $129.99
Morley Bad Horsie 2 $129.99
" When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix
Quote by Darth Yoshi
If you want Hendrix style, then go for the Dunlop Cry Baby. I have the 535q, and so far its great. I would get a power adapter though, the batteries die fairly quickly.

OR you can get the Dunlop Jimi Hendrix Wah/Fuzz Pedal
" When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix
Quote by Darth Yoshi

They do die fairly quickly, but if you unplug it after every time you use it, you'll get a little more life.
the budda wah is one of the nicest out there for the price. but i think your going to have to spend a little more than 200 if you want the holy grail. anything by teese or a fulltone clyde is IMO the best sounding wahs out there period
Buy a wah on the cheap (i'm talking <50. I found one for 35) off craigslist, replace the caps with polystyrene caps, replace the inductor with a Whipple or Fasel, put a Black Bear wah pot in there. Put in metal can BC108's, mod for true bypass...Replace the important resistors with trimpots. Adjust to taste!

90% of all wahs are the same circuit. Variations include the Colorsound inductorless wah, the Tycobrahe Para pedal, the Time Escobedo Idiot Wah, the WH-10, and the various optical pot wahs.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Buy a wah on the cheap (i'm talking <50. I found one for 35) off craigslist, replace the caps with polystyrene caps, replace the inductor with a Whipple or Fasel, put a Black Bear wah pot in there. Put in metal can BC108's, mod for true bypass...Replace the important resistors with trimpots. Adjust to taste!

90% of all wahs are the same circuit. Variations include the Colorsound inductorless wah, the Tycobrahe Para pedal, the Time Escobedo Idiot Wah, the WH-10, and the various optical pot wahs.

come to think of it my buddy said if he got a new vox wah he'd just give me his crybaby... than I could mod the living piss out of it...

I was thinking of housing the footswitch in a separate box (good idea) becuase I hate having to depress all the way and futz around to turn on wah.
Quote by Highwaytohell
come to think of it my buddy said if he got a new vox wah he'd just give me his crybaby... than I could mod the living piss out of it...

I was thinking of housing the footswitch in a separate box (good idea) becuase I hate having to depress all the way and futz around to turn on wah.

Wait until then.

I don't understand your problem with the footswitch...That's kind of how wahs will work. You will have to be on the pedal to use the rocker anyway...I don't understand the issue.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Wait until then.

I don't understand your problem with the footswitch...That's kind of how wahs will work. You will have to be on the pedal to use the rocker anyway...I don't understand the issue.

The weeping deamon has something like that, the little box right next to it that allows you to switch on than imediatelly step on...

I dont like it because most of the time with crybabies I overstep or Miss...
While you're modding, add an LED, that way you'll know when you've turned it on/off, a lot easier that moving the switch.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Highwaytohell
The weeping deamon has something like that, the little box right next to it that allows you to switch on than imediatelly step on...

You could take out the spring and the switch and just put a regular switch in the toe position. All Dunlops are the same housing. I know the one you're talking about. It is annoying, but isn't that hard to change. Just get a DPDT for true bypass or a 3PDT for true bypass +LED indicator. (mines blindingly purple )
Quote by end_citizen
You could take out the spring and the switch and just put a regular switch in the toe position. All Dunlops are the same housing. I know the one you're talking about. It is annoying, but isn't that hard to change. Just get a DPDT for true bypass or a 3PDT for true bypass +LED indicator. (mines blindingly purple )

i was probably going to do that. So a used pos wah and a butload of modding? Probably want to add a range knob...

I could just save myself the 100s of dollars in parts and get an RMC teese...
Quote by Highwaytohell

i was probably going to do that. So a used pos wah and a butload of modding? Probably want to add a range knob...

I could just save myself the 100s of dollars in parts and get an RMC teese...
I'm not trying to convince you to do this if you really want the Teese RMC, but here's what I did to my Crybaby and the prices.
3PDT switch-3.75 (effectsconnection.com)
LED and bezel-$.80 (effectsconnection.com)
6-way switch with 6 different caps to change the sweep-1.95 for switch $2.00 for caps (smallbearelec.com)
2 fasel inductors (one yellow one red) and a 2way switch to select between the two $40.00 (smallbearelec.com)
A 1k pot in series with a 100ohm resistor hooked up to the input transistor to change the thickness of the wah-$1.25
And a voice control pot-$1.25

I'd say it is a very versatile wah that I could use effectively for anything from bass to mandolin (I don't play mandolin, just sayin') and all for $51
Go for either a Dunlop 535q, a Slash Signature or a Carl Martin 2 Wah. All are awesome, especially the Slash wah, it's definitely my favorite wah for under $200. If you can afford it, get the MSD Silver Machine Revolution Automagic MKII, the only think is to activate it you put your foot on it. I don't see what's the big deal with it staying on, you just leave your foot on it, that's what I do when I use wahs like that. Also, if you're battery dies quickly, just unplug it when you're not using it, it's that way for all buffered effects, which is why I like true bypass. Also, if you can live with shorter battery life, use Carbon Zinc batteries, trust me, they really do make a big difference.
Quote by Highwaytohell

I think you need this - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=uC28jRcEndE
Hmm...

Now even I am having some second thoughts about wah... Truth be told I've never heard anyone get a really thick chunky wah that I like, a very robust and Low and roarish one more or less the position you can really ride on 3/4ths the way up when it sounds all vocally and ooowaaahwoo swooshy, almost like a talkbox.

the BYOC thing looks promising though... could use some more expirience with the old sautering iron though!
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but Dunlop is coming out with a new EVH model wah (september 29th if I'm not mistaken), and it's got boosted mids to fatten up the sound, so you might like something like that
Meh... i'm skeptical of these signature pedals that dunlop has come out with... the only Decent one was the EVH phaser which really was like paying 30 more bucks for an effect which sounds very close to the same as the original.

Besides how often did EVH even use wah?

I'm looking at the Ibanez Weeping deamon wah right now a bit actaully, Some people claim them to be really amazing, some claim them to suck at life... opinions?
He used it during the Roth years, then tinkered with it during the Van Hagar years.

I'm also looking for the seeming "Wah of Destiny", and when I saw that the wah pedal produces boosted mids and not the trebly thin sound that I also get annoyed with, I warmed up to it. I'm waiting for it to come out so I can try my local GC and test it, because it sounds better than just a flat out gain boost, which I'm sure it has a nice boost in it.

FYI - I'm an admitted EVH fanboy, but it does look like a viable option for a wah, and not a gimmick like the EVH Flanger was.
i think the jimi hendrix wah has added mids and bass, and a large sweep, so maybe check that out? I know Jerry Cantrell uses that live, and he's got a really sweet wah sound. I'd say the 535Q if you're going more for filtering effects, but it's not for the vocal expressive wah sound.
RMC.
Tesse has got a wah for every style

not cheap ($200 and personally my wah has fallen apart multiple times) but about as quality a sound as it gets.
Quote by Idiosyncracy
I thought hendrix's wah was for the psychedelic trebly whiny sounds?

...no, not at all. it's apparently got added low end and mids, which gives it a fuller sound.
Hmm... Those wizard wah clips made me happy, but i'm def considering just modding a crybaby to my specs, despite my total inexpirience w/ electronics

any other ideas gang?
Quote by RG_FANMAN
...no, not at all. it's apparently got added low end and mids, which gives it a fuller sound.

Seeing as I don't actively listen to Hendrix and haven't played with the model, I wouldn't have known that. Thanks for telling me though
i might want to clarify something here to... I'm extremely unfond of crybabies... The way I have to push the damn switch, the sweep range... they just sound like they are missing something to me. Obviously this is because i'm not human, but you get the idea...
Weeping Demon!
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
so far these look to be my options

Modding the living crap out of a crybaby (or just buying the area 51 drop in )
Dunlop 535q
Ibanez Weeping deamon
Budda Budwah

on the higher end of the spectrum we have

Fulltone Clyde
RMC Teese wizard wah