hey UG,
i have a 1980's peavey transtube supreme 100 watt head and i was thinking maybe a new cabinet i have about...500 i was thinking a 212 i dont have alot of room or maybe a new amp i think the amp is pretty good but i want to boost it with a bit more gain but its SS so i was thinking maybe a new cab and a ds-1 with the gain at like 1-4 and tone where ever..or a new amp maybe tube i play fusion and metal and shred so it needs to be heavy duty..but i know i only have 500 cant do much i could sell my ibanez RG770DXLB for 650 and have a budget for 1150 but even then people are telling me its only good enough for a decent combo
i need something with really good cleans and a crap load or distortion...i was thinking maybe...a carvin or something preferably combo 30watts and up
can you guys help?
thanks
jp
choices, b52 at-100 head, 5150 head, behringer cab (i tour with one, it blows away everyones marshal cabs)
1150 is plenty for a nice combo, possibly a nice USED half stack if that's what you really want.

You don't have to go tube, though.

Look into Line 6 Vettas and Flextones. Great modeling amps.
Click for charity.

Pidgeot of the Pokemon Club
PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.
Quote by burn the stars
choices, b52 at-100 head, 5150 head, behringer cab (i tour with one, it blows away everyones marshal cabs)

yeah i heard of the b52 but theres only on dealer in canada and its a 7 hour drive to the dealer...so...5150 head doesnt have cleans..and behringer...where the other players playing MG cabs?or 1960's???!?!?!i must know
Quote by Haha, Crackhead
1150 is plenty for a nice combo, possibly a nice USED half stack if that's what you really want.

You don't have to go tube, though.

Look into Line 6 Vettas and Flextones. Great modeling amps.

nahh i dont like amp modeling at all
Have you played a 5150? If not you should test the cleans for yourself, the gain might make it worth it and you dont have a ton of options for a amp with alot of gain voiced for metal. Might be able to scrape up a mesa combo if you look around hard with the bigger budget. You would be set for a while and I cant see you getting better cleans AND great gain at the price. Maybe a carvin though people seem to like them though I havent used one. Laney also has a amazing amp that I just cant remember the model, but i know alot of people use them and the one i played blew me away.
Quote by gsr2k6
Have you played a 5150? If not you should test the cleans for yourself, the gain might make it worth it and you dont have a ton of options for a amp with alot of gain voiced for metal. Might be able to scrape up a mesa combo if you look around hard with the bigger budget. You would be set for a while and I cant see you getting better cleans AND great gain at the price. Maybe a carvin though people seem to like them though I havent used one. Laney also has a amazing amp that I just cant remember the model, but i know alot of people use them and the one i played blew me away.

yes ive tried the 5150 I and the 5150 III(by fender) and i didnt like them the lead was thin and the distortion was like my peavey supreme for rhythem :S
i was thinking maybe the carvin master tube series or the xb100
but i donno
Quote by burn the stars

No offense, but yours is either heavily modded or the other people's cabs were extremely messed up because there's no way a Behringer cab can blow any Marshall, even the MGs. Behringer cabs are the worst sounding cabs I've ever used.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by tenaciousjp
yeah i heard of the b52 but theres only on dealer in canada and its a 7 hour drive to the dealer...so...5150 head doesnt have cleans..and behringer...where the other players playing MG cabs?or 1960's???!?!?!i must know

1960s, ive converted a few guys that have been playing for 30+ years. its been fun.

edit: i didnt mod it, just using the Jensen/bugarra speakers it came with. i will say the casters suck.
Last edited by burn the stars at Sep 16, 2008,
Quote by tenaciousjp
yes ive tried the 5150 I and the 5150 III(by fender) and i didnt like them the lead was thin and the distortion was like my peavey supreme for rhythem :S
i was thinking maybe the carvin master tube series or the xb100
but i donno

what volume did you have it at? anything below 1.5 on a 5150 is going to sound thin
Quote by burn the stars
1960s, ive converted a few guys that have been playing for 30+ years. its been fun.

edit: i didnt mod it, just using the Jensen/bugarra speakers it came with. i will say the casters suck.

I highly doubt that. I've played through Behringer cabs before and I wanted to rupture my ear drums - the tone was that bad!
Quote by solitaryshell90
what volume did you have it at? anything below 1.5 on a 5150 is going to sound thin

for the 5150 III i played it at 3ish in the store because it was dead,no one was in there so they let me put the volume up and yes i cranked the presence too it still sounded thin but i didnt crank the 5150 I past 1
should i get a new cab and a distortion pedal with my supreme head..or get a new amp?

if a new amp i heard the peavy classic 30 can do metal and have sick cleans is that true?!?!
thanks again
Dont buy a classic 30 for metal, although if you alredy have one or have one avaliable for cheap, i could find a quite good metal tone (better than marshall MG lol) using a classic 30 and a Digitech distortion factory.

If you prefer the tone of the tone of the supreme to any other amp in your price range, you should consider a 2x12 cab (available for ~£150 loaded with vintage 30s from thomann)
Gear List:
Ibanez S320
Lavey LV200
Squier Stratocaster Affinity HSS
No-Name Wesley Fat Strat copy
Peavey Rage 158
Quote by nickbob00
Dont buy a classic 30 for metal, although if you alredy have one or have one avaliable for cheap, i could find a quite good metal tone (better than marshall MG lol) using a classic 30 and a Digitech distortion factory.

If you prefer the tone of the tone of the supreme to any other amp in your price range, you should consider a 2x12 cab (available for ~£150 loaded with vintage 30s from thomann)

yeah i do i just need a boost i was thinking boosting it with a ds-1 maybe but its SS so i dont know how its gonna turn out. :S:
dont get an MG cab..i was at a gig (playing bass) and the band we opened for had guitar player with a tube marshall head and an MG cab. my guitar tone with my 1960 and jcm2000 would have blown him out of the water any day of the week...he sounded really bad. our guitar player was using a line6 spiderIII, and it sounded better than the MG cab w. tube head...
just putting that out there
EDIT; what cab are u playing right now? srry if uve already mentioned it, but i cant seem to find it...would buying just a head be a possibility?
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Fender Spalted Maple HH Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV Combo
Mesa/Boogie Rectifier 212

www.myspace.com/shapesofgrey
Last edited by wyldeshredder at Sep 17, 2008,
Quote by wyldeshredder
dont get an MG cab..i was at a gig (playing bass) and the band we opened for had guitar player with a tube marshall head and an MG cab. my guitar tone with my 1960 and jcm2000 would have blown him out of the water any day of the week...he sounded really bad. our guitar player was using a line6 spiderIII, and it sounded better than the MG cab w. tube head...
just putting that out there
EDIT; what cab are u playing right now? srry if uve already mentioned it, but i cant seem to find it...would buying just a head be a possibility?

i dont have a cab at the moment thats the thing but when i did which was a month ago..it was a peavey 5150 cab..yeah i know sold that puppy for 440 cashhhh and he picked it up when i got it for 400 sent to my place. but anyways yeah that why im asking new cab and a distortion pedal to boost it? or overall new amp
a friend of mine uses mg cabs with g12t-75's...he says its the tightest sounding cabs he has ever had.....he says he is going to replace the baffle boards on both and possibly put a 15 or 18" in the straight cab....i keep waiting for it to fall apart...that and after all the money and time he has spent...he could of gotten something much better....but then again...i dont think he has ever bought a new set of strings....
Quote by tenaciousjp
for the 5150 III i played it at 3ish in the store because it was dead,no one was in there so they let me put the volume up and yes i cranked the presence too it still sounded thin but i didnt crank the 5150 I past 1

don't crank the presence, that'll just add more fizz
and the 5150 III have different circuitry from the original 5150/ 6505 or the 5150 II/ 6505 +
Try the 5150 again, but you gotta get these beasts to atleast 2 to hear a much fuller sound, even though I like the tone I get at 1
Quote by solitaryshell90
don't crank the presence, that'll just add more fizz
and the 5150 III have different circuitry from the original 5150/ 6505 or the 5150 II/ 6505 +
Try the 5150 again, but you gotta get these beasts to atleast 2 to hear a much fuller sound, even though I like the tone I get at 1

ive listened to youtube vids and demo's and i dont really like it plus i need something with cleans the 5150 doesnt have cleans.
Quote by jessexxx
a friend of mine uses mg cabs with g12t-75's...he says its the tightest sounding cabs he has ever had.....he says he is going to replace the baffle boards on both and possibly put a 15 or 18" in the straight cab....i keep waiting for it to fall apart...that and after all the money and time he has spent...he could of gotten something much better....but then again...i dont think he has ever bought a new set of strings....
Well, he sounds like an incredibley reliable source.
You can boost SS amps with an OD. You just need to dial the amps gain back and make sure you have a noise gate. All you're doing is adding output to the preamp, regardless if it's tube or not.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
well what distortion pedal do you guys reckon?
heres a vid of my current tone that i had with a friends cab that i was borrowing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxAeTkSKRzc
(im on the left)
all i want is something to smooth out the tone a bit and something to add a bit of bite to my rythem. do you guys have a pedal in mind?
EDIT:please note the video isn't for the playing but for the tone
thanks
i was also thinking of a PEAVEY TRIPLE X combo but its like 1200 new and ive searched criagslist and kijiji.com for one but with no prevail.
Quote by tenaciousjp
ive listened to youtube vids and demo's and i dont really like it plus i need something with cleans the 5150 doesnt have cleans.

People say that its cleans are mediocre, not nonexistent. The 5150 most defiantly does have cleans
Quote by burn the stars

they might be tone deaf :x
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
if you say get a new amp..please reccomend one
but if you say a new cab and distortion pedal..please state what you reccomend please