Well, come November, I should have some...debts payed off and have about 150 to 200 USD to spend on gear (pedals). I've been told to just get a Digitech Whammy pedal, but I'm also keeping my options open. I play progressive rock and metal in the band I'm in, Jazz/Swing/Latin/etc. in the school's jazz band, and I play classic rock/blues and shred by myself. Any thoughts/suggestions? Thanks!

-Bryan

EDIT: I already have a: chorus pedal, wha pedal, delay pedal, and overdrive, though I am open to suggestions for a overdrive pedal to smooth out my leads, but keep the lower end clean.
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
Last edited by theacousticpunk at Sep 16, 2008,
Get either of these:
MXR Phase 90 or other phase
An OD but not the DS-1
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender American 52 Telecaster RI
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Tanglewood Acoustic
Fender F-80-12
Various Pedals
Orange Rockerverb 50 Head
Orange Cabinets
Dunno dude, the whammy pedal is really just an expensive gimmick, good for a couple of laughs. It's not as functional/useful as a decent distortion/OD.

Try the Boss you mentioned, but even that might not have enough gain for metal. (dunno first hand though)
Currently reading:

Crime and Punishment
The Age of Reason
Little Dorrit

"Illegitimis nil carborundum"
The whammy is fun..but it's not too practical. Unless you're Buckethead/enjoy messing around with the sounds A LOT, otherwise it's just a waste of ~$200.
My Gear:
Yamaha FGX720SCA
Quote by jordy-77
Get either of these:
An OD but not the DS-1
MXR Carbon Copy Delay

dead on
get something you will use often. you may also want to consider a chorus pedal
Now officially has too much gear to list

PM me if you want to know about my recording setup
I was thinking of getting an MXR Phase 90. I get plenty of distortion from my amp, I use distortion/overdrive pedals to smooth it out (currently using a TS-5). I play a lot of Steve Vai and Joe Satriani, as well a Dream Theater, Muse, Rush, and Pink Floyd in my band.

EDIT: I've got delay covered, with an Ibanez Echomachine, and the chorus pedal I have right now I'm fine with (for now at least), a Danelectro FAB Chorus (best of the series in my opinion).
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
Last edited by theacousticpunk at Sep 16, 2008,
Quote by I Be Andyy
The whammy is fun..but it's not too practical. Unless you're Buckethead/enjoy messing around with the sounds A LOT, otherwise it's just a waste of ~$200.

Actually, I find the whammy is useful for down/uptuning in a jam. It allows you to quickly access Eb tuning or D or even C - it's also great for harmonies and becoming your own bass guitarist. The shallow detune function also provides a chorus-like tone...

Although I do agree there are better things to spend your money on, the whammy is more useful than people say.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
everyone who has spoken so far has told you lies, the whammy pedal is countless hours of fun, and if your good at it, it adds a whole new dimension to your playing. besides the siren like effects and dive bombs, its a chorus pedal, and it has 9 harmony settings where you can bend up and down between two different harmonies. its also really efficient if you switch tunings a lot.
but its not for everybody. as far as distortion goes ive always wanted to try a jekyll and hyde distortion pedal, they look nice as hell. boss makes solid delay pedals, there not the best out there but they're really good
gear

Fender Standard Tele (with kill-switch)
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss GE-7 Eq
Boss DS-1 distortion
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
Boss CS-3 Compression
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop ZW-45 Zakk Wylde Signature wah
Quote by jordy-77
Get either of these:
An OD but not the DS-1
MXR Carbon Copy Delay

I LOVE my DS-1. It works great as a TRANSPARENT OD with your tube gain. Very silky, smooth and tightens up your low end.

Vai and Satriani, admittadly would be LOST with out it.